Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > maybe going back to OS 9 ...

maybe going back to OS 9 ... (Page 2)
Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2002, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:

You are the one who started with the personal attacks by calling me a prick. I wouldn't help people like you. Learn to grow up.

Ummm, that is my point, not every person here, ie... everyone, does not share your opinions.
HAHA, this is ridiculous -- when i said that i am 2nd-ing everyones notion that web browsing is slow in OS X, i am 2nd-ing those people who have previously said that web browsing in OS X is slow. i think its clear that i was referring to the group of individuals who said that. its implied. this is a forum, not an English course. it is not implied that everyone in the forum has said that web browsing is slow in OS X based on the fact that i said "everyone" instead of listing the user names of each person in the forum that has said web browsing is slow. can you let this go yet?

I will grow up once those who think they are helping do as well. do you realize i am not a grown adult as you are. i'm hardly an adult. my location is indicating a university -- here it is implied that i am a student. i think EVERYONE else is aware of this, except you.

EVERYONE else is willing to help with my question about switching back.

(the last two times when i said EVERYONE, i was referring to those users except for you. i know i say EVERYONE so that should include you, but, seeing that this is a forum not an english course, i assume that you will understand what i am talking about)
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2002, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Proudest Monkey:
...i downloaded omniweb, mozilla, and navigator ( not by netscape, the other navigator). as of right now i'm going with mozilla bc i prefer the look and feel of it over the others.

...i do not run my posts through word to double check my grammar or spelling...

Mozilla just hurts my eyes, and your first comment hurts my head. But that's your preference I guess. As for the second part of your comment, OW spell checks all text areas. Very handy for boards/webmail. FYI.
~BS

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2002, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by Proudest Monkey:
I guess that I will give 10.2.x the time and money. I'll probably have to wait til winter break so that I have time. Does anyone know if the Apple Stores will ever offer the educational discount in the stores? I live in Southwest Minneapolis; if I go three miles southest or three miles west, I hit an Apple Store (Mall of America & Southdale - should be open soon). I'd love to not have to pay shipping and not have to wait for it.
Be sure to give OS X some time, it IS different than OS 9. Don't get mad because it's not just the same. And you need to retrain yourself to get a lot of the benefits of X. It took me awhile to figure out I could actually do a bunch of things at once. And have all the apps I'm using (or have been using) open at once. Good luck with the test.
~BS

babywriter
Dec 1, 2002, 05:58 PM

(This is copied from another forum post I did earlier today in the "Classic" section. Sorry for the laziness, but I didn't see any reason to retype. I think these comments are relevant here as well. - KAI)

I recently went back to OS 9.2 after spending several months in OS X. I will probably stay there for the foreseeable future, even though my 466 mHz G4 has plenty of horsepower for Jaguar.

Why, you ask? Here's why:

1) Stupid printing problems. With my LaserJet 1200 (a fairly common printer), I found it almost impossible to print from Classic and OSX at the same time. For some inane reason, the LJ 1200 drivers in Classic block OSX print jobs...and they just disappear into the ether. I don't care whose fault it is - a "next-generation" operating system should be able to get printing right. I refuse to reboot Classic just to print.

2) Just got a Microtek 3800 scanner for less than half retail price. Great machine..but guess what? The driver software is OS 9. So is the version of Photoshop LE that ships with it. In fact, except for Mail, IE, and some of my digital camera software, all of my existing apps are Classic Mac OS. Until this changes, I don't see any compelling reason to stay in X.

3) Weird problems with Mail refusing passwords and connecting to mail servers. I got tired of futzing with it and transferred everything back to Outlook Express (it took me a week to figure out how to do it, but I got it done). Now everything works flawlessly.

4) My daughter is taking online classes through Apex Learning. I tried to set her up in OS X, but the multimedia components (i.e. RealOne Player) aren't mature enough/compatible with their setup. I spent a couple of hours trying to get it to work, then gave up.

I am not a newbie. I have been using Macs since 1987, both in business and personal use. But until OS X runs as well as OS 9, I won't be switching. And if Apple doesn't let me boot into OS 9 after January, I won't be buying a new machine for a while either.

I like to fiddle around with my system as much as the next guy, but sooner or later you have to get real work done. For me, the place to do that is still OS 9.

stew
Senior User
Dec 1, 2002, 06:25 PM

Is it just my perception or are the OS 9 vs OS X discussions becoming as bad as the Win vs Mac discussions?

Stink different.

beb
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 09:03 PM

~double post~

beb
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 09:04 PM

Screw 9, I'm going back to System 7.6. I want my Quadra 700 with it's unresolved scsi scanner based issues back too!

fritzair
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by sirlexelot:
In terms of the speed of OSX, yes it is still slow as a dog on a dual 1ghz G4 mirror drive doors! I use that machine nearly every day, and it is STILL painful to resize windows or dig through folders. The machine has 768 megs of RAM, so that's no excuse....
sir lexelot,

I have installed Jag in a B&W with a G4 550 upgrade and I think it is fast. Not as snappy as OS 9 but does work well. The only exception I see is when I use Limewire. Limewire causes the entire machine to slow to a crawl when it searches. Photoshop takes a while to open, but it takes longer in 9. I would bet that your install has a problem. I am a Jag newbie so I'm no help. I recently went to a Apple expo here in Seattle and I can tell you I saw all sorts of machines running Jag and they all responded differently. Even the newest and greatest machines responded slowly while iMacs right next to them were much faster at opening apps. I asked a nearby Apple rep why these two machines were responding differently and why the machine with the obvious advantage wasn't showing it. He claimed there was no difference, yet my wife and another customer were quick to chime in that there was.
Somewhere somebody has an answer to this problem. Hang in there till someone figures it out.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules