Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > RAZR Opinions

View Poll Results: How likely are you to recommend a RAZR for a Mac user?
Poll Options:
Definitely recommend 3 votes (27.27%)
Recommend with some reservations 3 votes (27.27%)
Not recommend 5 votes (45.45%)
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll
RAZR Opinions
nemanirc
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2007, 10:32 AM

I am considering buying a Motorola RAZR from Sprint since I can get it inexpensively ($50 after mail-in rebate). I love the form factor of the RAZR (thin, light) and was hoping I could use it to synchronize with my MacBook via Bluetooth. I am looking for others' experience with synchronizing the RAZR as well as overall opinions.
R. C. Nemanick, Ph.D.
PBG4 12" 867MHz 640 MB RAM
PMG3 500MHz 1 GB RAM

bighill
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2007, 12:27 PM

I got one for free from Verizon, my contract was up. I HATE THIS PHONE! The design sucks, the buttons on the sides suck, everytime I reach for the phone I press on of the buttons by accident and have to get out of whatever I brought up on the screen. The software is very clunky and slow, there are too many steps involved in everything you want to do. (text messages, etc.)

If I could, I would switch this sucker in a heartbeat, but I'm stuck with it for another 10 months till I can upgrade, if you wait till then, I'll give you mine.

Macola
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 12:49 PM

My experience has been just the opposite. I've been very happy with my Razr (v3 GSM) for the past year or so, free after rebate from Amazon. It syncs fine with my Macs using Bluetooth, and I can transfer files without any problem. The Motorola OS is not the most user-friendly, for sure, but then I don't expect a lot from a cell phone OS.

The only problem I had was the battery charging board was defective, but Cingular sent me an advance RMA, and I swapped it out with zero down time.

Edit: The only warning I'd give you would be not to use Verizon--they used to cripple the Bluetooth capabilities of the phone. I don't know if they still do, but the fact that they did so at one time is enough to make me avoid them for life.
( Last edited by Macola; Apr 2, 2007 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added info)
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 01:51 PM

I've had a RAZR V3M CDMA for about half a year now. I personally like it. It's highly customizeable, the form factor is great (as you already know), and in my experience it syncs very well with MacBook Bluetooth. The only beef that I have with the phone are that the buttons don't have a really solid feel, but I text all the time and have gotten used to the buttons and don't really mind them at all anymore. If you can get a good deal on it, I'd recommend it.

Check out howardforums.com and look around to find all sorts of info on the RAZR and about every other cell phone you can think of.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 01:57 PM

I picked 'Not recommend'.

Last year, I sent in my Nokia 6682 (unlocked) phone for OS upgrade. During that period, I gave an unlocked Motorola RAZR V3 (GSM) a try. It's bloody awful. It's way too many limitation and slow UI. I was stuck with the built-in ringtone since it couldn't let me to pick my own. The phone itself was thin (at that time) but it's too wide in my book. It's my first and last flip phone. I returned it within 14 days.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 02:45 PM

Recommend it. Best phone for the price. It's not overly comfortable to use and battery life isn't great (after 18 months), but it fits comfortably in my pocket (ie: no ugly holsters necessary), it's cheap and sounds fine.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2007, 02:47 PM

I voted not. They look nice but the OS and address book is horrible.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules