Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Greatest Hits classified under one album in iTunes

Greatest Hits classified under one album in iTunes
No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2007, 09:23 AM

iTunes keeps putting any album titled "Greatest Hits" under Boston. I've checked the tags and they are correct, so I'm stumped. However, when the songs play, the proper CD cover and info show up in coverflow; when not playing, they're listed under Boston. Any ideas as to what the heck is going on? I am using the latest version of the software, by the way.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2007, 01:20 PM

What do you mean "listed under Boston"? Are you saying that they're tagged onto the end of the "Boston - Greatest Hits" album when you scroll through CoverFlow?
Or that they're actually listed with "Boston" as the artist when you look through the other browse views in iTunes?

Make sure you have the "Compilation" tag switched OFF.

Compilations, in the sense useful to an mp3 player, are albums with multiple artists. Greatest Hits albums are of course compilations from several albums, but not compilations as far as iTunes is concerned - there is no practical use in setting that checkbox for an individual artist's Greatest Hits albums - that will merely mess up the sorting..

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2007, 01:29 PM

Turn the compilation setting on and add the artist's name to the album artist field.

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2007, 10:13 AM

I've tried just about every combination of tags, including ensuring that the album artist field was properly filled out and the compilation box checked, but it still groups all Greatest Hits albums under one artist in coverflow. I went ahead and changed the album names to things like, "Steve Miller Band: Greatest Hits", but it bugs me I had to do that.

EDIT: In iTunes it no longer does it....but it does on my iPhone. Hmm.

Forum Links
Forum Rules