Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac CD Buring Woes

eMac CD Buring Woes
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2006, 11:49 PM

My eMac always gives me the following error when copying a data CD with Toast Titanium.

0x72,0x03

Does this mean the Superdrive is bad? I read some posts on the net that it could be the drive but nothing for sure.

Has anyone had this problem?

myrddin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2006, 05:39 AM

I'm having the same problems - see my post here: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=286315

Are you using good quality blanks cos I'm not and I suspect this may be the problem as I have no problems reading commercial CD/DVDs [I only hsve the combo drive not the superdrive
eMac 1.25 ghz, 768 mb ram, OSX 10.4.3

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2006, 02:59 PM

The brand of CD's I am using are HP CD-R's. I would think they would be higher quality than most. I will pickup a different brand and try them.

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2006, 10:20 PM

Ok, I tried brand new media (Verbatim) and still get the same error. Does this mean the Superdrive is failed or failing? Thank God for Applecare....

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2006, 11:23 AM

I just got off the phone with Apple. We were able to burn the CD Image via the Finder. He suggested that I resinstall Toast and see if that helps. Is this normal for Toast? If Toast does fail again after I reload it then what are my options?

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2006, 12:35 AM

Ok, I reinstalled Toast and got same error. I loaded Toast on my iBook and copied the CD with no errors. I also downloaded Discribe just to test the burner and it gave me the same error.

Then I used the disc utility to make an image of the cd and then burned it and it worked.

I still think the drive is failing but the 2 Applecare reps I spoke with said that it is not a hardware issue and if I wanted to buy a new dvd burner from Apple I could. They would not let me take it to the store and have them test it. I am pissed because I think the drive is failing...this eMac has been a mess since I got it (bad hard drive, replaced analog board, replaced logicboard)...

zapatasghost
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by PHoynak
Ok, I reinstalled Toast and got same error. I loaded Toast on my iBook and copied the CD with no errors. I also downloaded Discribe just to test the burner and it gave me the same error.

Then I used the disc utility to make an image of the cd and then burned it and it worked.

I still think the drive is failing but the 2 Applecare reps I spoke with said that it is not a hardware issue and if I wanted to buy a new dvd burner from Apple I could. They would not let me take it to the store and have them test it. I am pissed because I think the drive is failing...this eMac has been a mess since I got it (bad hard drive, replaced analog board, replaced logicboard)...
I was having the same problem - Try using disk utility to burn instead of Toast - I think it might be a Toast problem...oh yeah and I was able to burn a CD on iTunes.

zapatasghost
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2006, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by zapatasghost
I was having the same problem - Try using disk utility to burn instead of Toast - I think it might be a Toast problem...oh yeah and I was able to burn a CD on iTunes.
On my emac superdrive (pioneer DVR-105) anyway - it doesn't seem to be a Toast problem after all - it seems to be the superdrive itself. I also tried cleaning the drive - because the error is not consistent - it sometimes burns DVD's but no go even after cleaning. Same exact "0x73, 0x03" and/or "power calibration area error"

To review - I've tried different spindle/brands of DVD's, cleaning, updating firmware, resetting firmware, resetting the pmu, burning w/ and w/out Toast, burning w/ iDVD & disc utility. All give the same error. It DOES read DVD's fine and burn and read CD's fine...

I've posted this on several other forums including Apple and macworld - and no one seems to have an answer. Anybody??? Please???

zapatasghost
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2006, 04:35 PM

It looks like I've solved my own problem. It turns out that my Pioneer DVR-105 is rated to burn up to 8x DVD-r's. I am attempting to burn w/ 16x dvd-r's. Some have worked - most don't. It turns out that I - and perhaps others w/ the same problem and/or error message - need to try burning at a lower speed - 2x is what is working for me - in order to finish off the spindle of 16x's I'm currently using. So far I've been able burn three seperate DVD's this way - so it seems to be a real solution. And from now on to get 8x DVD-r's or lower in order to burn at higher speeds. What's wierd is that I was able to burn a whole - 25 pack i think - spindle of 16x Verbatim dvd-r's in the recent past w/ out a problem - it wasn't until I got 16x Memorex's that I started having problems...hmmm. I guess Verbatim really is more reliable as I've heard...anyway, good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules