Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Some songs on Zune not 'squirtable'

Some songs on Zune not 'squirtable'
SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2007, 01:58 PM

2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2007, 02:09 PM

Amusing ?

I found tis expected.
Did anyone really think the MI would not exploit the possibility of restricting file sharing ?

-t

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2007, 02:14 PM

That's amazing.

What astounds me about every one of these little horrors that afflict the Zune is how MICROSOFT, one of the biggest and most powerful technology companies IN THE WORLD, would need to stoop to these ****ers trying to rip them off.

Why on earth would they allow this sort of ****, knowing full well that it spells death for the Zune before it even got started?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2007, 02:19 PM

The real value of squirting, if there is one, is sharing indie MP3s not the top 40 songs that everyone has already heard. Sony/Universal's decision to cripple their music has no effect on sharing music from small/indie labels and bands who need/want the popularity that can be gained from sharing.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 02:30 PM

Squirting just sounds so wrong, and when combined with the name of their store, "Urge", as in, I have the Urge to Squirt Christina Aguilera, makes me think of Steve Balmer in some unspeakable sex act.

OreoCookie
Jan 20, 2007, 02:37 PM

`To squirt' a song, if that doesn't eventually kill the product, I don't know what will

@Kerrigan
Everybody knows Christina is not squirtable!
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Jan 20, 2007 at 03:42 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Squirting just sounds so wrong, and when combined with the name of their store, "Urge", as in, I have the Urge to Squirt Christina Aguilera, makes me think of Steve Balmer in some unspeakable sex act.

Does it involve a goat? A hint might help...

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Agreed.
To be determined later.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The real value of squirting, if there is one, is sharing indie MP3s not the top 40 songs that everyone has already heard. Sony/Universal's decision to cripple their music has no effect on sharing music from small/indie labels and bands who need/want the popularity that can be gained from sharing.
Given how "squirting" is the one single thing the Zune can do that the iPod can't, and how Microsoft has been trying to center their marketing campaign around this, the fact that it can't be used with half the songs in their library just looks really bad. I mean, I don't think it could hurt Zune sales much further than they already are, but this would do it if anything could.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 04:06 PM

Great. Now you can't even borrow a song for 3 lousy plays or 3 lousy days? Sounds like the greedy record companies don't even want people to HEAR the music they sell.
...it looks like it's roughly 40-50 percent of artist that fall under this prohibited banner, and the worst news is that there's no warning that a song might be unsharable until you actually try to send it and fail.
Holy DRM Batman!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Given how "squirting" is the one single thing the Zune can do that the iPod can't, and how Microsoft has been trying to center their marketing campaign around this, the fact that it can't be used with half the songs in their library just looks really bad. I mean, I don't think it could hurt Zune sales much further than they already are, but this would do it if anything could.
That's a little overboard.

You can share any song you've created yourself.
You can share any song you've ripped from CD.
You can share any DRM-free song you've downloaded from another source (eMusic, etc).
You can share any song you've downloaded from the music store (Zune or URGE) that isn't from Sony/Universal.
You can share 50-60% of songs you've downloaded from the music store that is published by Sony/Universal.
You can share all of your pictures (and possibly videos) without time/viewing restriction.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 05:36 PM

Perhaps. Let's see.
For most people, that is ZERO.
OK. Welcome to the 80s (in my case).
You can share any DRM-free song you've downloaded from another source (eMusic, etc).
OK. For us iPod users (which is most people) that's not much.
You can share any song you've downloaded from the music store (Zune or URGE) that isn't from Sony/Universal.
How many is that? (Seriously, I have no idea.)
You can share 50-60% of songs you've downloaded from the music store that is published by Sony/Universal.
Not songs, songs from 40-50% of the artists whose songs you downloaded. Depending on the artists you download, that could be 100% by chance (or 0% also).
You can share all of your pictures (and possibly videos) without time/viewing restriction.
You can.

And like the original article points out, you still have to find another Zune user (good luck).

What sucks is that the Zune doesn't really need a nother negative going against it (like brown). This doesn't really help Zune users. It just frustrates them.

SirCastor  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2007, 05:37 PM

it might be important to note that regardless of the source, Everything, on a Zune is DRM'd. Indie or not, yours or not. If you put it on your Zune, it's DRM'd.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2007, 05:41 PM

It would be really fun to make a song of a bunch of farts or of people yelling or belching or having sex or something, label this song identically to some popular top 40 song, and share it with everybody!

Pretty awesome trick. I need to get me one of those Zumes....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2007, 06:04 PM

Doesn't matter what the facts are, it's a PR disaster.

-t

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
it might be important to note that regardless of the source, Everything, on a Zune is DRM'd. Indie or not, yours or not. If you put it on your Zune, it's DRM'd.
Which I might add that, from what I've heard, is illegal to do.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
What's illegal, putting CD music on a Zune or squirting that music? Are you saying one can only squirt music that is pruchased from the M$ store and is squirtable (everything else is off limits)?

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 21, 2007, 10:08 AM

The term "squirting music" is just odd.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2007, 10:17 AM

I hope some focus group with a sense of humor came up with that.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
What's illegal, putting CD music on a Zune or squirting that music?
No - automatically adding rights restrictions to previously unrestricted content in my possession is, at the very least, erm, "questionable".

SirCastor  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2007, 11:38 AM

About the "Squirting" term. near as I can tell, it was a wreck less attempt by Steve Balmer to build the brand by giving the feature a unique name. Much like Podcasting immortalized the iPod, Balmer was trying to come up with something that would stick. He did...
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 12:14 PM

You can share all of these things, but the 3 day/3 play limitation is attached to all of them. See:
http://www.medialoper.com/hot-topics...g-limitations/

Chris

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 01:35 PM

Are any of those things more than was originally promised (which, frankly, was pretty pathetic to begin with)? No? Then I don't see how they offset the partial loss of widely-hyped functionality.
Chuck
___

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2007, 01:48 PM

Has anyone seen an actual Zune in the wild? Has anyone actually heard or seen anyone actually "social/squirt/share" a song?

What about the fact that if I create music under the creative commons act and someone passed it on with their Zune and it adds DRM. That violates my creative commons license.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
hat about the fact that if I create music under the creative commons act and someone passed it on with their Zune and it adds DRM. That violates my creative commons license.
They don't care about your rights. You're not in the RIAA.
Chuck
___

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 03:13 PM

Who cares if songs on a Zune are "squirtable." Nobody has a Zune anyway.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom View Post
Who cares if songs on a Zune are "squirtable." Nobody has a Zune anyway.
That's not tue. Thousands of M$ employees have them, because they would be fired if they came to work with an iPod.

And M$ employees LOVE squirting, guess how they write software

-t

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2007, 03:27 PM

I live on the University of Michigan Campus... Everyday I walk to 2-3 classes, and see plenty of those little white iPod headphones, but from class, walking around, hanging out downtown, and going to events.. I have never seen a zune in person. Not one. I see iPods like the bloody plague, EVERY college student seems to have one. I see a few people now with newer phones that they use as mp3 players, and couple of random players like the Zen floating around. Still, not one Zune. The social is .... non existant.
yep.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 04:00 PM

It just occurred to me that "squirt" sort of implies ejaculation.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It just occurred to me that "squirt" sort of implies ejaculation.
Welcome to last year

-t

OreoCookie
Jan 21, 2007, 04:17 PM

Somebody please post a timeline picture
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
That's not tue. Thousands of M$ employees have them, because they would be fired if they came to work with an iPod.
Some MS employee said in an interview that 4 out of 5 people in his office have iPods, which a lot of sites extrapolated to mean that 80% of all MS employees have iPods (~16k at the time).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 04:25 PM

Back by popular demand…

Chuck
___

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2007, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tenacious Dyl View Post
I live on the University of Michigan Campus... Everyday I walk to 2-3 classes, and see plenty of those little white iPod headphones, but from class, walking around, hanging out downtown, and going to events.. I have never seen a zune in person. Not one. I see iPods like the bloody plague, EVERY college student seems to have one. I see a few people now with newer phones that they use as mp3 players, and couple of random players like the Zen floating around. Still, not one Zune. The social is .... non existant.
At Western Michigan University I have yet to see a Zune. I have only seen one MP3 player that wasn't an iPod, and that person commented that it was a gift (no, I did not ask, someone else did).

I have seen about half of iPod users abandon the Apple ear buds and use regular earphones.

No Zunes in the wild where I am. I am sure there's squirting going on, just not with a Zune.

SirCastor  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2007, 06:26 PM

I've only seen a Zune in the college Bookstore here (and Bestbuy). I haven't seen anyone who actually owns one. (I would be pretty embarrassed too.. probably try to keep it in my pocket.)
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

gargamel123
Jan 21, 2007, 07:46 PM

I sold three of them where I work and they were all returned.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
What about the fact that if I create music under the creative commons act and someone passed it on with their Zune and it adds DRM. That violates my creative commons license.
Bingo. I'd love to see someone with deep pockets put MS through the wringer for this.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 10:39 PM

I would never put a Zune in my pocket. The only thing that goes in my pockets that Squirts is OEM original equipment, if you know what I mean.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 12:33 PM

It's funny, though - go to Target and watch the Target employees in the electronics section.

This might not be true anymore, but when the Zune first was released, they steered Christmas shopping grandmas to the Zune telling them how it was the next big thing.

So, even with sales people everywhere misleading customers (I would assume the behavior is the same at most stores, after all, when I sold computers, the same thing happened with Macs vs. PCs - "Apple is going to be out of business soon."), the Zune still isn't a valid iPod killer.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 01:28 PM

One of my work colleagues got a Zune for Xmas. He won't tell his wife he wanted an iPod.

I have never seen him use it (at work). He's probably ashamed.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Jan 22, 2007 at 02:05 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom View Post
the Zune still isn't a valid iPod killer.
It isn't even a valid Creative Zen competitor.
Chuck
___

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2007, 02:40 PM

One of my roommates got a Zen:Vision M because he uses Linux most of the time and he doesn't like Apple. He also said he likes that it supports some obscure compression format, and it has an FM radio and a voice recorder. The interface is NOT intuitive. There appear to be four buttons and a thingy in the middle that has a few more functions, but you would honestly have to read a user manual to figure out how to get around, unlike the iPod, which anyone can figure out right away: spin and click.
I guess my other roommate saw someone that had a Zune. He liked the big screen.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
It depends on the content that's being DRMed. Any audio files under Open Content (such as MP3s of classical music downloaded from the Smithsonian, most PodCasts, etc.) can not be DRMed because it would violate Open Content license.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules