Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Signs that McCain is too old - mental acuity declining

Signs that McCain is too old - mental acuity declining
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2008, 10:43 PM

Haha...

I will veto every single beer.

YouTube - Here's what four more years would sound like (McCain mashup)

Let's not forget he doesn't remember what he said in the past on big issues like social security

YouTube - John McCain on Privatizing Social Secuirty
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2008, 10:56 PM

That has already been posted a few threads down.

Have you forgotten already?

However, you have mistaken lack of knowledge for lack of mental acuity.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2008, 11:04 PM

I would recommend that you learn some critical thinking skills. You're saying that because McCain has made gaffes he lacks mental acuity, but we all know that Obama has made at least as many gaffes (I have supplied more examples than you) and that Obama hasn't even been on the political stage for half as long as McCain. Furthermore we all know how Obama performs when he isn't reading off a teleprompter: he is terrible, and that is why he is shying away from McCain's town-hall style debates challenges, because Obama just doesn't have a high level of mental quickness for impromptu debate.

There is nothing in Obama's mind that hasn't been planted there by an advisor or shown on a teleprompter. I'm really curious to know what Obama's LSAT score was, what cases he worked on, how much he earned on those cases, what his involvement was in them, and what the success rate was. Because I just don't see Obama being able to analyze and process information as well as McCain, which is sad, because the latter is considerably older.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2008, 11:09 PM

I know I left my keys around here somewhere.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2008, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I would recommend that you learn some critical thinking skills. You're saying that because McCain has made gaffes he lacks mental acuity, but we all know that Obama has made at least as many gaffes (I have supplied more examples than you) and that Obama hasn't even been on the political stage for half as long as McCain. Furthermore we all know how Obama performs when he isn't reading off a teleprompter: he is terrible, and that is why he is shying away from McCain's town-hall style debates challenges, because Obama just doesn't have a high level of mental quickness for impromptu debate.

There is nothing in Obama's mind that hasn't been planted there by an advisor or shown on a teleprompter. I'm really curious to know what Obama's LSAT score was, what cases he worked on, how much he earned on those cases, what his involvement was in them, and what the success rate was. Because I just don't see Obama being able to analyze and process information as well as McCain, which is sad, because the latter is considerably older.
First of all, Obama graduated from the Harvard Law School with Magna Cum Laude.

Barack Obama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obama entered Harvard Law School in fall 1988 and at the end of his first year was selected as an editor of the law review based on his grades and a writing competition.[15] In his second year he was elected president of the law review, a full-time volunteer position functioning as editor-in-chief and supervising the law review's staff of 80 editors. Obama's election in February 1990 as the first black president of the Harvard Law Review was widely reported and followed by several long, detailed profiles. He graduated with a J.D. magna cum laude from Harvard in 1991.

Second of all, Obama has been in debates. You know, the Democratic debates.

You know, like this:

YouTube - Obama to Hillary: I look forward to you advising me

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2008, 11:30 PM

I know that he got into HLS. Your response did not answer a SINGLE one of the questions I posed, nor did it address your huge flaw in the OP which regards frequency of gaffes as a basis for senility, nor did it do anything to refute my charge that Obama has even MORE apparent gaffes than McCain despite the fact that he has been on the political scene for a much shorter period than McCain. Like I said, learn some critical thinking skills.

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2008, 11:43 PM

I know that he got into HLS. Your response did not answer a SINGLE one of the questions I posed, nor did it address your huge flaw in the OP which regards frequency of gaffes as a basis for senility, nor did it do anything to refute my charge that Obama has even MORE apparent gaffes than McCain despite the fact that he has been on the political scene for a much shorter period than McCain. Like I said, learn some critical thinking skills.
You posed questions? Really?

Where are the question marks in the two paragraphs?

You made arguments. You didn't ask a single question. You argue that Obama sucks at debates and made assumptions about Obama. No questions. Just arguments based on assumptions.

Suggestion for you. You should use some critical thinking yourself. Obama graduated from Harvard Law School with Magna Cum Laude.

And I disagree with your arguments and assumptions about Obama.

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 12:37 AM

Signs of dementia:

Health Encyclopedia

- Progressive memory loss
- Inability to concentrate
- Confusion , severe
- Inability to read
- Inability to form words
- Inappropriate speech; use of jargon or wrong words
- Persistent repetition of phrases
- Irritability
- Poor temper control

Yup, McCain, being over the age of 70, definitely show signs.

He is having problems reading and forming words.

Beautiful.....BBBBBB.. Bountiful... Blessed

Property... eh.. Party

Yup, suffers from mental dementia. 30% of elders over 70 years of age developing serious memory loss or even dementia.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2008, 12:45 AM

This thread is dumb.

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
This thread is dumb.
If McCain becomes President and starts bombing every country because of his dementia, you won't be saying this thread is dumb.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2008, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
If McCain becomes President and starts bombing every country because of his dementia, you won't be saying this thread is dumb.
Yes, well, since we're electing an emperor with unlimited power, then surely we should be concerned about that. I mean, if he goes all Nero on us, then there's nothing that can be done but obey his crazed will!

McCain is not senile, and he's not going to win anyway. Relax.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2008, 01:47 AM

Wow, by this standard Obama must be really ****ing old and retarded...
No, he's simply a liar on a scale that would make the Clintons seem like saints. Hell, he could almost be a Kennedy.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2008, 01:55 AM

Shaddim: if you are going to throw something like that out, why not at least substantiate your points?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2008, 01:59 AM

Most of the mistakes in that video just seem to be McCain getting ahead of himself. For example, "I would veto every single bill with earmarks." I'm not sure that's indicative of dementia. Heaven knows perfectly sane people have had stranger speech impediments.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Most of the mistakes in that video just seem to be McCain getting ahead of himself. For example, "I would veto every single bill with earmarks." I'm not sure that's indicative of dementia. Heaven knows perfectly sane people have had stranger speech impediments.
YouTube - McCain FAKES speeches horribly! Can't even read

I use to work for a doctor at UCLA medical center who studies dementia. I send out literature on dementia and how do recognize them. I help find articles and research on dementia.

You do know most of the mistakes McCain made in the clip is from him reading from the TelePrompter or on paper right? There are definitely signs.

Especially when reading "Beautiful....BBB... Bountiful...Blessed" on a piece of paper in front of you.

- Inability to read

People talk about McCain temper? Also a sign of dementia.

- Irritability
- Poor temper control

McCain doesn't remember many things he have said.

YouTube - McCain's YouTube Problem Just Became a Nightmare

He says Putin is the President of Germany, when he knew Putin was the President of Russia a few months ago.

YouTube - John McCain: Vladimir Putin
YouTube - McCain thinks Putin is the President of Germany

He takes ambien to help himself sleep.

McCain does show early signs of dementia:

His poor temper control.
Short-term memory problems
Long-term memory problems
Problems reading.
Problems forming words.
Difficulty finding words.
Not knowing common facts.
Insomnia.

Dementia - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment of Dementia - NY Times Health Information

Health Encyclopedia

Early Diagnosis of Dementia - February 15, 2001 - American Family Physician

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 05:38 AM

Yup. McCain definitely show early signs of dementia.

Political Punch

McCain is always repeatly confused with Sunni and Shi'a. He can't seem to learn and understand the concept.

Rice said McCain's comments reveal a "real confusion and lack of understanding of the situation in Iraq" and the larger region. Jumping on gaffes McCain made in the past, Rice said McCain's "repeatedly…confused Sunni and Shi'a," and said he's been "confused about who the leader in Iran with maximum power is." Rice also said McCain "seems very eager" to engage Iran militarily….This is troubling to say the least, and it's reflective of a pattern of lack of understanding and lack of strategic depth."

McCain is one confused fella who is unable to understand questions or learn new things and concepts. How many times does McCain need to be reminded? Sunni and Shi'a don't like each other. Iran, a shiite stronghold. Al Qaeda, a militant Sunni organization. McCain, please learn the simple concept. Stop repeating the same mistakes again and again, after someone corrects you again and again.

YouTube - Todd: McCain Has 'Bank' With Media, Can Get Away With Gaffe
YouTube - Maher blasts McCain: "He's a warrior who's dumb about war"
YouTube - Lieberman Whispers to Correct McCain on Al Qaeda and Iran
YouTube - McCain Gets Basic Iran Fact Wrong

He has problems understanding questions.

McCain Stumbles on H.I.V. Prevention - The Caucus - Politics - New York Times Blog

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
No, he's simply a liar on a scale that would make the Clintons seem like saints. Hell, he could almost be a Kennedy.
Would you like to justify that statement?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 12:17 PM

His lips are moving.
Clinton used to get away with "I did not say that" in the pre A/V cell phone era. Now people show up at speeches and get him recorded. That is what happened in 'Frisco to Obama. There are A/V phones everywhere so someone somewhere is going to catch them in a lie.
45/47

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
Would you like to justify that statement?
I'm pretty sure several were previously posted in this thread. However, here is a nice compilation.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2008, 06:39 PM

I'm pretty sure several were previously posted in this thread. However, here is a nice compilation.
While I don't disagree with the sentiment, how is that different from quoting Wikipedia? It's some website that quotes some other website etc.

“Building Better Worlds”

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2008, 07:41 PM

Of course Obama is a liar, he's a liberal after all. Liberals lie so much that even when they tell the truth they're lying!

He's been lying to us about being a Christian all this time. He's really a crypto-muslim who will hand over the White House to his pal Osama bin Laden immediately after taking the Oath of Office, at which time he will establish the Islamic Caliphate of America.

He is one of those Muslims, right? At least, that's what the Internet says....

We will all be safe with John McCain, we won't have to worry about him dying in office because he already passed away in 2003! His cybernetic robot clone was made in the same lab that made Fidel Castro's after he died in 1988.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2008, 08:06 PM

I read that Obama really, REALLY hates Bush's dog Barney, and his first command as president will be to have Barney taken away from the Bushes and barbecued for dinner his first night in office. He'll probably have OSAMA BIN LADEN over for supper.

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2008, 08:44 PM

spacefreak, is that you?
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2008, 10:08 PM

You know, I did stop reading after a while because I hadn't seen anything that I would characterize as a lie. Is this really the best that you can do? The guy is bad about remembering dates and he changed his mind?

I wonder if you're a Bush supporter. You certainly are holding Obama to a tighter standard of truth than the president has yet been held to.

Sorry, he's still got my vote.

Atomic Rooster
Jun 18, 2008, 02:23 AM

Earlier in the day, McCain, describing the high price of fuel, confused the cost of gallons versus barrels, which drew laughs from the crowd and the candidate himself. He quickly corrected himself.

"And with gasoline running at more than $4 a barrel ... a gallon ...

McCain wants to lift ban on offshore drilling - CNN.com

His mind seems to wonder. I'm going to be embarrassed for him especially when he forgets who he's running for or calls Obama Osama.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 02:47 PM

prediction: by the time of the republican convention, McCain will be replaced with someone the conservatives like.

that is, if the republicans want to win the election

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2008, 04:52 PM

Signs of dementia:

Health Encyclopedia

- Confusion , severe
- Inability to read
- Irritability
- Poor temper control

Yup, McCain, being over the age of 70, definitely show signs.

He is having problems reading and forming words.

Beautiful.....BBBBBB.. Bountiful... Blessed

Property... eh.. Party

Yup, suffers from mental dementia. 30% of elders over 70 years of age developing serious memory loss or even dementia.
Virtually everyone shows signs of dementia. Hell, virtually everyone shows signs of every mental illness.

These diagnostic criteria were designed as guidelines to assist professionals make a diagnosis. Considering that even a diagnosis done by a professional has a chance of being wrong I dare not think about the chances of a bunch of random people watching videos on the internet being wrong..
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2008, 05:03 PM

To start off: you did not actually ask any questions making it somewhat difficult for anyone to answer them.

What you want to argue here is that gaffes don't matter. Arguing that Obama has more just says that they're both rather poor speakers.

It is silliness like this that take a poor electoral system and turns it into a complete joke.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
prediction: by the time of the republican convention, McCain will be replaced with someone the conservatives like.

that is, if the republicans want to win the election
prediction: reading for McCain will become progressively more difficult, especially with words starting with 'b' and 'p'. His mind is screwed up when it comes to be 'b' and 'p' words. It would then progress to other words starting with 'c' and 't' and 's'.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 07:04 PM

McCain doesn't remember many things he have said.
I bet he would know to use "has" in that statement, however.

Tell me, why is Obama ducking McCain's Town Hall debates if McCain's mental capacity is on the fritz? Does Obama lack such confidence in his grasp of the issues that he's scared to debate a mentally-deteriorated McCain in an unscripted format?

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
I bet he would know to use "has" in that statement, however.

Tell me, why is Obama ducking McCain's Town Hall debates if McCain's mental capacity is on the fritz? Does Obama lack such confidence in his grasp of the issues that he's scared to debate a mentally-deteriorated McCain in an unscripted format?
Yes, he would have. Things he might have, could have, or may have said in the past are all so quickly forgotten.

McCain likes to see more sunshine.

YouTube - John McCain & Miss Teen SC on Economics

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 07:43 PM

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 07:49 PM

Timing? Wait till closer to the election.

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2008, 08:13 PM

McCain's townhall. No democrats allow.

YouTube - Fox Admits McCain Stacked Townhall

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2008, 02:18 AM

McCain's townhall. No democrats allow.
Yeah, right... as if I see Obama distributing large blocks of event tickets to the RNC. The fact is, there was no such "No Democrats allowed" restriction, as you deceptively try to claim.

Funny thing is, nowhere in your posts do I see "Obama rallies and events - no muslims allowed in range of a camera" statement from you, which is much more accurate of a statement than yours.

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2008, 03:30 PM

Yeah, right... as if I see Obama distributing large blocks of event tickets to the RNC. The fact is, there was no such "No Democrats allowed" restriction, as you deceptively try to claim.

Funny thing is, nowhere in your posts do I see "Obama rallies and events - no muslims allowed in range of a camera" statement from you, which is much more accurate of a statement than yours.
That's why Obama doesn't want any debates right now. The conservative media doesn't care about the debate. The religious right doesn't care who does better at the debates. Come on, Bush won twice. The conservative media wants to use scare tactics again, cause that's all they have.

The conservative media will keep trying to paint Obama as Muslim or a terrorist. FOX keeps insisting Obama is Muslim.

Oh no, Obama is a Muslim. His name sounds so much like a terrorist. He is doing the terrorist jab with his wife. He is unpatriotic for no wearing a flag pin.

No spacefreak, you don't care about the debates either. If McCain forgets his name during the debate and sings bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran during the whole debate, you would still vote for him.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2008, 12:32 AM

prediction: reading for McCain will become progressively more difficult, especially with words starting with 'b' and 'p'. His mind is screwed up when it comes to be 'b' and 'p' words. It would then progress to other words starting with 'c' and 't' and 's'.
More prediction:

Just as the conservative 50's influenced the hippie movement in the 60's...

and the hippies influenced the modern conservative movement...

the Bush administration will influence the most liberal generation in American history

George's legacy

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2008, 08:03 AM

McCain thinks he's a liberal Republican.

YouTube - McCain: I'm a proud conservative liberal Republican

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 5, 2008, 10:15 AM

Signs of being in the Democrat party:

- Confusion , severe
- Inability to read
- Irritability
- Poor temper control
Fixed.

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2008, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Doof View Post
Fixed.
Oh Yeah. McCain hates you bloggers and forum posters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wset9i4b0b4

Damn young kids and their internet.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2008, 09:45 AM

That was actually funny in a crotchedy "get of my lawn" kinda way. And he got plenty of laughs which shows he knows how to work a room (filled with old people).

Atomic Rooster
Jul 7, 2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
That was actually funny in a crotchedy "get of my lawn" kinda way. And he got plenty of laughs which shows he knows how to work a room (filled with old people).
He can relate to old folks. He's going on an old folks home circuit.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 09:20 PM

McCain should stop trying to make jokes. he doesn't seem to have the timing.

he needs to look more excited. I know his way is the be mellow but it can get ...um... old

I will bet that McCain will never have an asian on his team if he gets elected. why tempt a tantrum?

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 04:25 AM

Wow, has McCain totally gone nuts, joking about killing Iranians with cigarettes, singing "Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran"?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p05FFS3IenM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zoPgv_nYg

Taliesin

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2008, 04:30 AM

The bomb bomb bomb clip is quite old.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
The bomb bomb bomb clip is quite old.
Oh, I'm sorry, heard it for the first time.

Taliesin

Tiresias
Jul 12, 2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
Wow, has McCain totally gone nuts, joking about killing Iranians with cigarettes, singing "Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran"?
joke noun a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, esp. a story with a funny punchline

Atomic Rooster
Jul 12, 2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
McCain is quite old.
Fixed

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2008, 05:16 PM

Using offense at a joke as a political tool has become really quite lame and dumb. The reason why we have politicians that speak in such a guarded and manufactured away is no doubt as a result of this. If you want politicians that are real and speak to the people, give them a break when they go a little too far and scar somebody's delicate sensibilities for life.

That being said, jokes of this nature about a potential enemy are not a terribly smart thing to be doing, but I can live without the drama.

Forum Links
Forum Rules