Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bugs you would like Apple to fix in time for Yosemite

Bugs you would like Apple to fix in time for Yosemite
Ham Sandwich
Jul 7, 2014, 09:03 AM

Alright. Most of you probably know me for complaining about bugs/weird issues/grievances with Mac OS X. But just here me out. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only person who has had lots of anticipation for "improvements" in each subsequent release of OS X, and others on the forums have experienced occasional "weird" issues with Mavericks.

So Apple is giving Yosemite a public beta release, so this gives something like 1 million people to test drive Yosemite before its final release. In the meantime, are there any bugs (currently in Mavericks) that you would like Apple to fix in time for Yosemite?

P
Jul 7, 2014, 11:51 AM

HFS directory corruption. It still happens, even if it is much rarer now. I wish they'd checksum the directory file, the journal and a few more.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

burger
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2014, 11:55 AM

Inconsistent directory listing performance (Performance in general) using AFP, SMB, SMB2.
Inability to use Migration assistant with mounted DMG image.
AppleTV streaming stuttering from OS

GaryDeezy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2014, 11:58 AM

One feature they took away in 10.9 was the ability to drag a non-sequential group of Contacts into an Email address line.

IT IS BACK IN 10.10 AND I AM EXCITED LIKE A KID ON A FIELD TRIP! THANK YOU, APPLE!

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2014, 12:43 PM

It's now a bug. It's just a poorly done feature. The open-source spell checker that OS X uses is dreadful with spelling suggestions. Even two letter transposed can leave it lost.

Enter a misspelled word into Google and it figures out what your really meant about 95% of the time. In OS X, there's a valid suggestion only about 60% of the time. Apple should either drastically improve HunSpell or gives a spelling suggest feature that queries Google.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2014, 01:11 PM

I would like to see unread messages in bold without defaulting to classic mode. As messages are read they become not bold.

applesean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2014, 05:54 PM

I have been pushing Apple to put RSS back into the OS since they took it out in Safari 6/OS 10.8. It seems they have made some motions to finally do that, but I am not clear what they have or have not done. Can someone with the developer's preview comment/post pix? When I tried to bring this up on Apple's forums, Apple blocked me, much to my surprise, citing nefariously, "speculative post."

Ironic since all posts on a help forum are intrinsically speculative... Not sure why they chose mine and no one else's. Guess that is what happens when your company grows to fast, and you are forced to hire incompetent assholes...
( Last edited by applesean; Jul 12, 2014 at 03:56 PM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2014, 09:44 PM

I hope they can de-radomize the dual-screen "no primary display." Documents usually open in the window they were in the last time i launched an app or opened them, but it kind of depends. The command+tab app switcher seems to be tied to whichever screen you last accessed the dock from, so if you want to have your app switcher on the other screen, you've got to mouse over the dock on that screen. It's especially goofy with Adobe apps -- I keep all my pallets on one screen & have my docs open on another, but if I launch any Adobe app without a document, it focuses the menu on the screen with all the pallets, so I have to hunt down the menubar on my secondary display. Also, all-in-one apps like the calculator & Address Book dont seem to ever remember what display they were on & just open on whichever one is currently focused.

Also, a window won't span the two displays, which stikes me as just f*cking dumb. What's the point of taking away that feature after 20 years? It's disconcerting when I move a window out of my way on what I expect to be a contiguous desktop to have half of it just vanish.

Also, also. Having one menubar belonging to one app and another menubar belonging to a different app just because you've got documents from different apps up on different displays is confusing. I want the front-most app to be the one that the menubar is focused on at all times. When i want to swich apps, I will do so. Oops, unless I go to the wrong display. Urgh.

The whole "no primary display" business has kept me from updating my Mac Pro at home to 10.9 from 10.8. I'd love to see them either refine it, or dial it back. I can't afford an $800.00 display to go with my new free OS - I'm kinda stuck with my twin 20's for now.
( Last edited by chris v; Jul 11, 2014 at 09:48 PM. Reason: also, also!)

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

touch33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2014, 06:42 AM

False reading of unread email in mail.app in smart boxes

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2014, 06:17 AM

Mail still needs some serious efforts to make it bullet proof.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2014, 06:26 PM

If Mail would finally start respecting the Message Font selected in preferences and actually send your email formatted that way it would be nice. Otherwise, we will continue to have to manually set the font in each email or use a plug-in like Universal Mailer.

OAW

akent35
Banned
Jul 14, 2014, 07:35 PM

These might not necessarily be "bugs" (depends on how one views them), but here is what I'd like to see:

1. Make it simple to turn off Spotlight indexing of all devices "attached" to a machine, ie, internal and external. This should be one of the options when installing/updating the Mac OS, and it should be simple to invoke: just have it as a question with Spotlight, with a simple Yes or No answer. I use Easy Find for searching, and it works fine. If I needed a more refined search (something that Spotlight might offer over Easy Find), then it should be my choice to use it.

2. Make it simple to turn off Time Machine COMPLETELY. That is, turn it off for both backups and the question it asks regarding the use of an attached drive for a backup. Again, this should be a simple option when installing/upgrading the Mac OS similar to what I mentioned above with Spotlight.. I use Super Duper for backing up, and it is more than sufficient for my needs.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2014, 07:38 PM

1. Drag anything you don't want indexed into the exceptions pane of the Spotlight system preference. Done. Simple enough?

2. Open system preferences. Click "Time Machine". Click the BIG -ASS SLIDER at the left. Done. You now no longer have a functioning backup.

akent35
Banned
Jul 14, 2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
1. Drag anything you don't want indexed into the exceptions pane of the Spotlight system preference. Done. Simple enough?

2. Open system preferences. Click "Time Machine". Click the BIG -ASS SLIDER at the left. Done. You now no longer have a functioning backup.
While both of those seem simple, I want something that does it all at once. Also, for the second one, I do have a FUNCTIONING BACKUP already. Also, that does not turn off those silly Time Machine messages one sees when an external drive is mounted, and thus does only a HALF ASS job. (I did find out how to do this, but it takes a Terminal Command).

This would be an excellent example of the KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple Stupid. That's MUCH, MUCH better than "Stupid is as stupid does".

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2014, 07:50 PM

You do not have a functioning backup. You have a duplicate of what may already be corrupt data.

Also, I strongly suggest you knock off the puerile insults. They're making you look rather pathetic, and I'm not sure they're going over well with the powers that be here.

akent35
Banned
Jul 14, 2014, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You do not have a functioning backup. You have a duplicate of what may already be corrupt data.

Also, I strongly suggest you knock off the puerile insults. They're making you look rather pathetic, and I'm not sure they're going over well with the powers that be here.
First of all, for my purposes, I have a functioning backup. I "clean" out my stuff prior to doing the backup.

Secondly, I can stop, as long as folks like you stop. Your "BIG -ASS SLIDER" phrase was both somewhat "vulgar", not necessary at all, and the ALL CAPS just made it worse. Such a "post" (along with some others you have directed at me) sure make you look immature (along with pathetic). Just behave in a mature manner, and things will be good.

Additionally, they might seem puerile to you, but they are accurate.

Remember: what goes around, comes around. That is, you stop, and then I'll stop. OK? Hopefully, the powers to be treat everyone fairly and in an equitable manner.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2014, 10:29 AM

Hmmm, they could fix Fotostream...finally!

(what I mean: I take a picture with my iPhone which I do not like; I delete the picture from my photos folder AND from my Fotostream; I come home and the picture does still exist somewhere because it will still appear on every other device I have AND I have to delete it again there!?!?!??!)

Ham Sandwich
Aug 8, 2014, 09:54 AM

Alright, I have one I'd like to add:

When Spotlight indexes the hard drive (like, after upgrading or installing an OS) I notice that the computer gets hot because of mdworker and other processes using close to 100% CPU.

It would be nice to have these processes throttled so that Spotlight didn't work so hard... I mean, I'm not that anxious to start searching my computer.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2014, 09:13 AM

If Spotlight is indexing the entire drive, it will have a whole lot of work to do and you can expect it to take a lot of time and all the resources it can grab to do the job. Since this would be a VERY rare task, I don't think that it's a "bug," or even something that needs attention. Adding code to throttle Spotlight's resource usage only for this kind of rare and heavy-duty task wouldn't be useful for Apple to add and very few users would see any benefit from it.

Now if Spotlight also takes up too much CPU time for more common, more frequent tasks, that may be something to look at.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

P
Aug 11, 2014, 10:50 AM

I think that mdworker is just given a lower priority, so it will run as long as nothing else is using all the CPU.

(The real fix to this problem would be to have a filesystem from this millenium, so you could integrate that index and not have a separate process generating it.)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

JBracy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2014, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
The whole "no primary display" business has kept me from updating my Mac Pro at home to 10.9 from 10.8. I'd love to see them either refine it, or dial it back. I can't afford an $800.00 display to go with my new free OS - I'm kinda stuck with my twin 20's for now.
You realize that you can turn off this "feature". Go to the "Mission Control" preference pane and deselect "Displays have separate Spaces". This reverts multiple displays to how it was in 10.8.

JimmySambo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2014, 06:34 AM

Really like Apple to fix some of the dozens of bugs in Mail which as a mature application just should not have these issues. There are bugs to do with cut and paste (several) also signatures (several) spell checking which got worse in Mavericks, searching which was messed up big time in Mavericks.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2014, 06:19 AM

the whole interface? seriously, it looks like some mockup done by a 13 years old in ClarisWorks back in 1997... "hey look mom, I used a gradient!" and those stoplight? they look like a toy for kids.. no subtleties, big flashy solid color. ugly...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2014, 06:31 AM

Yeah...so un-lickable. No photorealism and gaudy polycarbonate striping, the way the mature non-13-year-olds that used to run Apple in 1997 would have done it.

OreoCookie
Aug 15, 2014, 10:43 AM

I'll reserve my judgement on the aesthetics until after I've used 10.10, but the traffic light buttons seem to, hmm, simple. But I have to say, iOS 7 feels a bit too clinical to me.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2014, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by JBracy View Post
You realize that you can turn off this "feature". Go to the "Mission Control" preference pane and deselect "Displays have separate Spaces". This reverts multiple displays to how it was in 10.8.
How did I miss that? Will try it Monday when I'm at work with a 10.9 machine with multiple displays. Not sure why that's not in the "Displays" pref pane, but I'm glad it's there!

Thanks!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2014, 02:13 PM

Went ahead & updated the MacPro to 10.9. Unchecking the "Displays have separate spaces" button worked! Thanks again.

timmyl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2015, 05:26 PM

The screen anomaly you are describing seems to be a function of the Spaces or Mission Control function. Go to the Mission Control System Pref's panel. Disable or uncheck "When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for the application" and "Displays have separate Spaces". The monitors should now behave as one big screen. However, (and that's a BIG however) since upgrading to 10.10.2 Yosemite, my Dock travels to the other monitor at random times and in Adobe CC programs a pallet may find itself on the wrong monitor occasionally. I'm just hoping Apple is working on this. I can't imagine my office is the only one struggling with "finding" the dock. The only solution I have found so far is to go to the system pref's and move the doc position to left and then back to bottom to restore its position on the main screen.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2015, 05:39 PM

This thread was about 10.9 Mavericks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules