Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Creating a user account WITHOUT Internet access?

Creating a user account WITHOUT Internet access?
MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 06:25 PM

Here's what I am trying to do. I want to be able to create a limited user account at home at home that doesn't have the ability to connect to the Internet. I am already familiar with the user account dialog and limiting functionality for a user, but I just can't figure out how I can simply disable all network connections for a specific user.

Would I have to use the Networking pane in System Preferences and turn off all networking connections?

And if so, wouldn't this disable the network connections for all other users?

Mike

MPMoriarty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2004, 09:37 PM

Hasn't anyone ever created an account like this before?

timmerk
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 10:53 PM

You could buy LittleSnitch and install it just on that one user account, then block all ports.
I think that would work.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2004, 12:00 AM

what about logging in to that user's account, and, in the network pref pane, unchecking the available connection options (ie ethernet, airport, int. modem), then locking the lock.
then only the admin can change those settings...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

mikemako
Senior User
Nov 5, 2004, 02:03 AM

or you could limit their access to all internet applications. Going into the "Accounts" preference pane, click on "Limitations", choose "Some Limits" and list which applications they are allowed to use. Just don't allow them to use any app that's internet related. Also remember to un-check the "Open all System Preferences" option- that way they can't get into system preferences to alter anything.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 08:08 AM

Of course locking out all browsers means that they could not look at .html files via a browser right? (something I often need to do when off-line)
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

MPMoriarty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2004, 11:29 PM

I had thought about unchecking all the network connections in that specific user account, but I thought that would affect all users.

I will try it and get back to you guys.

I was going to just disable applications that could access the Internet, but that is a workaround. The account is still connected to the Internet is some fashion. I want that account totally closed off from any network connections.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by MPMoriarty:
I had thought about unchecking all the network connections in that specific user account, but I thought that would affect all users.
It does.

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 03:41 PM

What is it you are trying to accomplish? There is probably a better way of doing it.

MPMoriarty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2004, 03:50 PM

I simply want to create a user account that when that user is logged in that there is no way they can access the Internet or any network connections other accounts are able to. I mean, I didn't think it was that hard but maybe it is.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by MPMoriarty:
I simply want to create a user account that when that user is logged in that there is no way they can access the Internet or any network connections other accounts are able to. I mean, I didn't think it was that hard but maybe it is.
I think larkost was asking more like why you want to do that. Is it to limit a child? Or to stop a certain app from phoning home?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 03:56 AM

Another question is how sophisticated is this user? That could alter the approach here.
Can he just turn things back on himself in the control panel? Or is it a child who will never figure it out?

You could have a script that runs on login that turns off networking.

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig en0 down

and one that runs on logout to bring it backup

#!/bin/sh
#ifconfig en0 up

login scripts may apply to every user...
anyone know how to put this in an if statement to check for a particular user?

check this out:
http://www.bombich.com/mactips/loginhooks.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules