Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Graphics tablet recommendations

Graphics tablet recommendations
dmcnickle
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 04:06 PM

I am trying to find a graphic tablet for my daughter. She has the Wacom Graphire 2 and would really like something bigger.

Her friend has a large one (not Wacom) but it is window. The box says OS 9 so I don't think it has any drivers for OS X.

Does anyone know of a larger size graphics table that is good without being overly expensive.

Thanks for the help

bluedog
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 11:45 AM

Well, which size tablet does she have?
Graphire comes in 4x5 and 6x8
Intuos2 comes in 4x5, 6x8, 9x12, 12x12 and 12x18.

If you have the 4x5 size, then go to a local store and try the 6x8 to see if that will be large enough (which it likely will be if previously using the 4x5.

I'd recommend the 6x8 for most people and the Intuos 9x12 if doing more freehand graphic work and illustration.

The other two larger sizes are really only useful for CAD users who want pinpoint accuracy for large-scale input.

Graphire is the lower cost version for most consumers. If you already have the 6x8 and want something larger you're likely going to have to pay for the Intuos line.

For Macs, Wacom is the company to buy tablets from. There used to be CalComp which I don't believe are manufactured any longer (at least not for macs). Feature-wise Wacom is the way to go.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 10:19 PM

I really like the intuos2 platinum series (9X12) they look nice, though they're a bit pricey (compared to what? they're pretty much THE game in town.)

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2003, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by bluedog:
<snip>For Macs, Wacom is the company to buy tablets from. There used to be CalComp which I don't believe are manufactured any longer (at least not for macs). Feature-wise Wacom is the way to go.
so the other(s?) out there, eg macally's ice cad is not worth it? it is the only other one i have seen out there and it is less $$, but also does not have the included software that wacom does. . .or at least wacom comes with extra software when ordered from clubmac. i have looked at getting a tablet to dabble with and learn to do more art with. is it worth the investment in the wacom (and included software) right off the bat? or better to go with the ice cad and decide from there?

thanks!!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

@ho
Nov 7, 2003, 01:25 PM

The new wacom graphire 3 is great, I order two (different colors) in size 6 x 8 and is the perfect size I didnt use my old graphire 2 because it was to small.
I think I will keep the grey version so I will try to sell the pearl white in ebay.

Does any one want it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules