Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is there any play in your albook display?

Is there any play in your albook display?
pete
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 04:19 PM

I'm just curious. I've noticed that when my display is open there is a certain amount of play. It's probably around1/2 inch. Does yours have this too? It reminds me of the older powerbook G3s after a year or so of use, but the tibooks didn't have this at all...

P

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2004, 05:43 PM

thats how mine is. it has never bothered me. keep in mind that the tibooks generally had very stiff hinges. i definitely prefer the hinge on my albook.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 07:43 PM

Oh, I agree. Much better than tibook or any other powerbook before that. Just wondering if this is how all of them are.

@ho
Mar 10, 2004, 12:47 AM

I have same problem try to tight the screws but nothing improves, I will wait to visit an apple store to see if a genius can fix it.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 12:54 AM

Mine is like that, too. Drives me nuts when I'm typing and the screen is wobbling. It's not uncommon among different laptop vendors, however. I've always had IBMs before my Pbook, and teased my friends who had Dells and Compaqs (called them wobbletops). Now I've got a wobbletop, oh well.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2004, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by pete:
I'm just curious. I've noticed that when my display is open there is a certain amount of play. It's probably around1/2 inch. Does yours have this too? It reminds me of the older powerbook G3s after a year or so of use, but the tibooks didn't have this at all...

P
So, it's like the play on the old G3s? Strange, in my 12" 867 MHz (first generation), the hinges are as stiff as they were one year before, or so, while the Powerbook is heavily used, I mean open-close the display at least twice a day (every day the last 9 months). The display of course moves when you push it a little and returns immediately in its position when you leave it; just the elasticity effect. Opening and closing the display are very easy and smooth.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 07:22 AM

I didn't mean that it's increasing like the powerbook G3 did - just that it is now about the same as the G3 was after a year of use...

I really don't think it's an issue at all, but time will tell. I agree though that it would be nicer if it didn't wobble at all.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by pete:
I didn't mean that it's increasing like the powerbook G3 did - just that it is now about the same as the G3 was after a year of use...
So it really "plays", like in a G3. Is that what you are saying, no? Even if it is not increasing.

Really, I did not know that the Aluminums could exhibit this problem. Well, not exactly a problem, but we don't know how it will evolve.

I think asking Apple would not be a bad idea. Perhaps some hinge tightening is needed, perhaps it is normal. It was like that from the beginning or has it been developed afterwards?

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 10:04 AM

I think it might have become more like this since I got it a month ago, but I'm not 100%sure. I'm going to check it out at the applestore this weekend to see if the their units are like this too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules