Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > R.I.P. Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer

R.I.P. Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2012, 02:40 PM

Well after 13 years of faithful service, and across 3 Macs, my old friend has finally given up the ghost...sort of. The USB plug end has been flaky for over a year now, losing connection and the like. Now it needs to be re-plugged almost a half dozen times a day so I finally broke down and bought a decent wireless Logitech mouse.

I just wanted to give the MS mouse due props, as it is easily the best mouse I've ever used, and one of the best electronic devices that I've ever bought. Countless shitty Apple mice have been thrown in a drawer thanks to my old buddy, and I wish him safe travels to USB Valhalla.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2012, 03:25 PM

R.I.P. Mouse, may your plastics be recycled into some other device.

Lister: How can you just lie back and accept it?
Kryten: Oh, it's not the end for me, sir, it's just the beginning. I have served my human masters, now I can look forward to my reward in silicon heaven.
Lister: [Stunned pause] Silicon WHAT?
Kryten: Surely you've heard of silicon heaven?
Lister: Has it got anything to do with being stuck opposite Brigitte Nielsen in a packed lift?
Kryten: No, sir. It's the electronic afterlife. It's the gathering place for the souls of all electronic equipment. Robots, toasters, calculators. It's our final resting place.
Lister: I don't mean to say anything out of place here, Kryten, but that is completely whacko Jacko. There is no such thing as 'Silicon Heaven'.
Kryten: Then where do all the calculators go?
Lister: They don't go anywhere. They just die.
Kryten: Surely you believe that God is in all things? Aren't you a pantheist?
Lister: Yeah, but I just don't think it applies to kitchen utensils. I'm not a FRYING pantheist. Machines do not have souls. Computers and calculators do not have an afterlife. You don't get hairdryers with tiny little wings, sitting on clouds and playing harps.
Kryten: But of course you do. For is it not written in the Electronic Bible, "The Iron shall lie down with the Lamp".

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I just wanted to give the MS mouse due props, as it is easily the best mouse I've ever used, and one of the best electronic devices that I've ever bought.
Well, it's my favorite mouse, but it's also the biggest piece of shit mouse evar.

I'm easily on my 8th IntelliExplorer mouse.
I only bought one, but the switches would fail like clockwork every year.

So far, I have coerced M$ into at least 7 replacement mice. But last time, they said that's it.
So now I will either have to repair the future broken switches with the spare parts from previous broken mice, or buy one more and start the whole ordeal of replacement mice all over.

*sigh*

I would pay a fortune to get an IntelliExplorer mouse with quality switches.
That M$ never bothered to change the design in all those countless years is just staggering.

I can't think of a single product that I ever had such a love / hate relationship with.

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2012, 03:42 PM

I'm running low on my stock of MS Laser Mouse 6000... gave too many away in the early days, wish I could buy more.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2012, 03:47 PM

Countless shitty Apple mice have been thrown in a drawer thanks to my old buddy, and I wish him safe travels to USB Valhalla.
Hockey puck mouse says you're on "the list".

-Q-
Mar 11, 2012, 04:18 PM

Loved that mouse. Got crushed in a move and I don't think I've been quite as happy with its replacements since...

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Mar 11, 2012, 07:36 PM

Apple sucks at mice. They know nothing about ergonomics whatsoever. Fail in design world.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2012, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
Apple sucks at mice. They know nothing about ergonomics whatsoever. Fail in design world.
depends on how you hold your mice.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Mar 11, 2012, 07:49 PM

It really doesn't. Do you have symmetrical hands? No. But the mice are, which means they aren't optimized for either hand. You can argue all you want but I went to school for this and I have a lot of professional experience in it (both in tools for Milwaukee, hand controls for Harley Davidson, and dental devices for a bunch of companies). They are terrible. This is not an opinion, it is fact.

andi*pandi
Mar 11, 2012, 08:02 PM

they aren't optimized for either hand.
This is probably a feature. The puck mouse was also very good for children to hold.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2012, 08:04 PM

My favorite mouse was the MS Intellimouse Optical. I got tire of them breaking and went with this dodgy-looking thing:
Amazon.com: AOpen O 35G - mouse ( 90.00026.977 ): Electronics
It's been a solid performer, and the ergonomics are the same as the MS mouse. The second wheel is really convenient too, in apps that support shift-scroll (ie everything besides java, x11 or photoshop).

simonjames
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2012, 08:14 PM

I loved my Intellimouse Explorer and my Intellimouse Explorer Trackball until my new love turned up - my sleeky Apple Trackpad. The trackball was consigned to an old iMac and I now hate it when I have to use it.

Do other manufacturers offer trackpads? I can't be bothered to look at what the dark side offers.
this sig intentionally left blank

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2012, 12:30 AM

I think my favourite mouse was my Wacom Graphire 3 ... I still use it as a mobile tablet, I have an Intuos 4 now for at home but I keep wondering if maybe I still like the Graphire more.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2012, 02:06 AM

For the record, I loved my hockey puck.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2012, 02:16 AM

It really doesn't. Do you have symmetrical hands? No. But the mice are, which means they aren't optimized for either hand. You can argue all you want but I went to school for this and I have a lot of professional experience in it (both in tools for Milwaukee, hand controls for Harley Davidson, and dental devices for a bunch of companies). They are terrible. This is not an opinion, it is fact.
Here's your fact, Rob:

There's two completely different ways of holding the mouse:

One way is to cup the entire mouse with your hand and use the whole arm for movement. Apple mice suck, Logitech and Microsoft "ergonomic" mice rule.

The other is to have the wrist firmly planted on the desk, and to play the mouse between your fingertips. Apple's Magic Mouse is the coolest and most ergonomic mouse ever built, and even the hockey puck was a pretty cool mouse, once they added the groove in the button for orientation.

FWIW, method one doesn't work for me. I have zero precision that way, and my arm and shoulder cramp up.

Also, this is completely obsolete since the Magic Trackpad has blown all mice right off the desk.

Hey, found this (styles in reverse order):

Patrick
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2012, 02:18 AM

I thought the hockey puck wasn't half bad, either. Just like with my current mouse, I would hold it using my fingers rather than the palm of my hand. Not that I ever really think about it, but it's a lot easier to make slight movements with the wrist this way.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2012, 02:22 AM

There's someone on earth who liked the hockey puck mouse? Wow.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2012, 02:24 AM

Why would you use your whole arm to move the mouse when you can just move the wrist? I've been tempted to get a Magic Mouse for a while, but I think I'm still gonna hold off.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2012, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
There's someone on earth who liked the hockey puck mouse? Wow.
Yep.

You were holding it wrong.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2012, 02:43 AM

The hockey puck mouse was actually fine, except for the part where you couldn't tell how it was oriented by shape.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2012, 09:27 AM

Is the MS Intellimouse Explorer a corded mouse.? If so, get a Logitech Corded Mouse M500.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2012, 12:22 PM

I decided against a corded mouse, just for the sake of trying something new. So far the mouse is pretty good, clicking seems a bit louder though. I picked it because it was the only mouse big enough for me. I have fairly small hands, but I like to have the mouse contour to the palm of my hand.

It's a Logitech wireless m510.

I HATED the hockey puck, I palm the whole mouse, wrist flat on the mousepad. The Hockey puck forced you to grip it with the claw, which to me is incredibly uncomfortable.

In fact, since the hockey puck, I have not used a single Apple mouse I didn't immediately dislike.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Is the MS Intellimouse Explorer a corded mouse.?
Yes and no, they come (or at least at some point CAME) in both flavors.

I tried the wireless version, but it wasn't working well.
For the past 10 years, I have used the corded version.

-t

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
depends on how you hold your mice.
I have big hands. Apple mice don't fit. I have a Magic Mouse at home which I rarely use.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2012, 12:48 PM

Well after 13 years of faithful service

nostalgiaCa$h
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2012, 01:05 PM

Here's your fact, Rob:
There's two completely different ways of holding the mouse:...
Also, this is completely obsolete since the Magic Trackpad has blown all mice right off the desk.
[/IMG]
heh. skooled.

oh wai
anyone who wants to be me, can be me.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2012, 03:25 PM

Here's your fact, Rob:

One way is to cup the entire mouse with your hand and use the whole arm for movement. Apple mice suck, Logitech and Microsoft "ergonomic" mice rule.

The other is to have the wrist firmly planted on the desk, and to play the mouse between your fingertips. Apple's Magic Mouse is the coolest and most ergonomic mouse ever built, and even the hockey puck was a pretty cool mouse, once they added the groove in the button for orientation.

FWIW, method one doesn't work for me. I have zero precision that way, and my arm and shoulder cramp up.

OAW

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2012, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
I have big hands. Apple mice don't fit. I have a Magic Mouse at home which I rarely use.
Like I said:

You're holding it wrong.

You're the "Palm Grip" type. Apple mice aren't built for you.

I have big hands, too (I can fairly easily span an octave and a third on a piano), and I love that the Magic Mouse is so low-profile and small.

As mentioned, though, I still prefer the trackpad, by far.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2012, 07:56 PM

Like I said:

You're holding it wrong.
There's no such thing as wrong: everyone has individual kinesthetics. I prefer to have my entire hand on the mouse and rest my forearm on the desk. I can work for hours that way with no strain.

I have my $20, two-button, scroll wheel mouse I've been using for years, while my collection of Apple mice continues to grow.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2012, 08:07 PM

There's no such thing as wrong: everyone has individual kinesthetics. I prefer to have my entire hand on the mouse and rest my forearm on the desk. I can work for hours that way with no strain.
OF COURSE there's such a thing as holding it wrong: Every person has his own way of holding a mouse. That's why there's different types of mouse.

Whether you've bought the wrong mouse, or you're holding the particular mouse you bought the wrong way doesn't really make a difference.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2012, 11:22 PM

OF COURSE there's such a thing as holding it wrong: Every person has his own way of holding a mouse. That's why there's different types of mouse.

Whether you've bought the wrong mouse, or you're holding the particular mouse you bought the wrong way doesn't really make a difference.
Now you're just babbling.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2012, 11:58 PM

Count me among the hockey-puck crowd. I'm still using the one (with grooved button) that came with my iMac DV in 1999. I upgraded to an iMac G5 in 2004 and started using the Apple Wireless Mouse that came with it, until it decided to start randomly dropping its Bluetooth connection. I dug out the old hockey puck and have been using it ever since.

I also use a fingertip grip, with the bottom of my hand on a gel wrist-rest. Works fine.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2012, 04:27 AM

Now you're just babbling.
Just saying that either you're holding the mouse wrong, or you bought the wrong mouse for how you hold them. It doesn't make a difference.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Mar 13, 2012, 01:53 PM

Here's your fact, Rob:

Which prevents carpal tunnel. However, the nuetral plane of your palm should be about 30 deg or so, and I have't seen a mouse that accounts for this. There should also be a "pad" on the mouse to rest the edge of your hand, to prevent chafing. You can still use your fingers for minute control, but the primary action should be with the entire arm.

The other is to have the wrist firmly planted on the desk, and to play the mouse between your fingertips.
Which is bad. You will get carpal tunnel eventually, if you use it this way. A quick glance at your own picture shows how horribly contorted the hand is, and how the wrist is not at a nuetral angle, but is instead bent upwards.

Apple's Magic Mouse is the coolest and most ergonomic mouse ever built, and even the hockey puck was a pretty cool mouse, once they added the groove in the button for orientation.
Wishing does not make it so.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2012, 02:11 PM

THAT is the Real Rob; no doubt about it.

The photographs were made by somebody who is obviously a palm-grasper.

My arm/hand look just as cramped when I try that as his does when he tries the claw-grip.

In turn, my hand is completely relaxed when I use the "claw"-grip.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2012, 04:13 PM

...Logitech and Microsoft "ergonomic" mice rule.
Unless you're left-handed. Then you have to hope they make a left-handed version, which very few do.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2012, 04:53 PM

Just another data point:

After swapping my mice out for trackpads, I can't even remember how I hold a mouse.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2012, 05:09 PM

I use a mouse all the time for games and design. I sort of get by with a trackpad, but I don't like them. I miss the trackball.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2012, 05:13 PM

I've been totally sold on gestures, plus, right-clicking makes instinctual sense to me on a trackpad, whereas it screws me up royal on a mouse. Once I right-click to get a menu, I always want to right click menu itself.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2012, 07:43 PM

Just saying that either you're holding the mouse wrong, or you bought the wrong mouse for how you hold them. It doesn't make a difference.
I did buy the right mouse for me. It just ain't the Magic Mouse.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2012, 08:00 PM

I did buy the right mouse for me. It just ain't the Magic Mouse.
We agree. The rest is semantics, or just a matter of which end you build the argument from.

iM@k
Senior User
Mar 14, 2012, 03:12 AM

My favorite mouse was the Apple ADB Bus Mouse II (the one with the rounded front), followed by the the Apple Pro optical Mouse.
What, me worry?

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2012, 11:30 PM

I still have a use daily my Intellimouse Explorer. I bought it in late 1999. I did use the Apple mouse with the little ball for a year or so until the side buttons started acting up. Also, the little trackball didn't work consistently. I've been thinking about the new Magic Mouse or the Magic Trackpad for all of the gestures in Lion, but I'm so used to my Intellimouse.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2012, 12:22 AM

How did you NOT break any of the buttons ?

Mine always started having issues with double-clicks after a year. ALL of them.

-t

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2012, 12:39 AM

Don't know. Haven't had any problems with it in nearly 12 and a half years. However, my almost 2 year old now grabs for it and mashes the buttons along with my keyboard. We'll see if the mouse can survive him.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2012, 01:16 AM

Weird. What are the odds that I got 7 duds in a row. *shrug*

-t

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2012, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Weird. What are the odds that I got 7 duds in a row. *shrug*

-t
I had 2 duds in a row then. They would start double-clicking when I wanted a single click... is that what happened to you?

Tiresias
Mar 15, 2012, 10:17 AM

Isn't the palm resting on the tabletop in both photos and the only difference that in one the fingers are arched and in the other lying flat on the top of the mouse?

Anyway, my palm rests on the desk and my fingers are poised over the mouse. When I need to track the cursor across the screen, I lift my palm off the desk and move my whole arm. For fine motor skills (in photoshop, say) my palm rests on the desk and I manoeuvre the mouse with the three fingers of my mouse hand.

Surely there is no other way of using a mouse.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I had 2 duds in a row then. They would start double-clicking when I wanted a single click... is that what happened to you?
No, the opposite. Double clicks would register as a single cklick or no click at all.

-t

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2012, 01:44 PM

Here's your fact, Rob:

That "Claw grip" picture makes my wrist hurt just looking at it. You want your wrist to be shaped like a bridge, going flat across at the wrist and with the fingers forming a gentle arch back down. If the wrist is bent at a sharp angle like that, you're just asking for trouble. As someone who's had tendinitis before and has subsequently learned to optimize just about everything I do with my hands, I know this for a fact. You wouldn't play the piano or organ that way, would you?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules