Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Briefly: Skype cuts old OS X client support, new PDF to JPG converter

Briefly: Skype cuts old OS X client support, new PDF to JPG converter
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 22, 2014, 02:45 PM

Online communications platform Skype has announced its plans to discontinue support for older versions of its desktop clients. Including Skype for Mac, the versions being phased out are v6.14 and older. The discontinuation aims to ensure feature compatibility across its versions of the software, and facilitate future innovations on a consistent base. The latest version, which can be downloaded via an in-app update or downloaded directly from Skype, offers newly-added features such as offline messaging.

PDFZilla releases PDF to JPG Converter for Mac

PDFZilla has announced the release of their free PDF-to-image converter tool for Mac, allowing users to export PDF documents to JPG files. Included is a DPI option, which means that uses can select a high output DPI value -- like 200 or 400 -- and the converted images will maintain a high quality resolution and large print margin. The DPI value can be changed for thumbnail images as well, with 32- and 64-bit options. PDF to JPG Converter for Mac's image format converter has a batch mode, and can convert a large quantity of files at once. Restricted files can be converted easily, and do not require the owner's password to do so. Free to download, PDF to JPG Converter for Mac requires OS X 10.8 or later.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 24, 2014 at 02:54 AM. )

Paulrm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2014, 12:39 AM

I am still happily using Skype v2.6. I see no reason to change as every version since that one has been utterly lousy!

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 23, 2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Paulrm View Post
I am still happily using Skype v2.6. I see no reason to change as every version since that one has been utterly lousy!
That'll be a problem if you want to keep using the software. You won't be able to connect after Microsoft implements the change.

Ham Sandwich
Jun 23, 2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Paulrm View Post
How about because in version 2.x there are so many windows all over the place on the screen whereas in the later versions everything is compactly organized into a single window and you can find your conversations easily.
What "lousy" behavior is Skype displaying on your computer?

jpadhiyar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2014, 11:00 AM

Skype's actually getting better and the on-the-fly translation feature... that's really something!

Forum Links
Forum Rules