Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any recommendations for good sushi in San Francisco area?

Any recommendations for good sushi in San Francisco area?
xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2005, 07:23 PM

I'll be there for a few days in the near future, and I'll have to have my weekly intake of sushi. Don't care if it is a nice place or not, if the eatin's good. I was once at the sushi place in Japantown that serves it on little boats, and while that was a cool presentation, I thought the sushi was so-so. Any other recommendations?

jcain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2005, 09:09 PM

I like Murasaki at 211 Clement St. in SF. It's a small restaurant and doesn't have the flashiness of some of the trendier places in SF, but the quality is excellent in my opinion.

Here's the Google Local page for it with map and reviews:

Murasaki

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2005, 10:13 PM

Actually, while we're at it, does anyone have recommendations for good sushi further south, in the Sunnyvale / San Jose area? I'll be headed there soon myself, and on an expense account to boot.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2005, 10:24 PM

Best sushi I ever had (except Japan? maybe not; maybe best evar) was in SF. In Outer Sunset, I think. I'll try to figure what it was called.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2005, 01:09 AM

There are MANY great sushi places in SF. I've been there three times, and I tend to just wander in to restaurants that look interesting. May be a little dangerous when it comes to sushi, but I've had many great meals. Don't remember any names, however.

mattyd
Senior User
Mar 16, 2005, 03:23 PM

These three are small, neighborhood places:
Ebisu - 1283 9th Ave (Sunset)
Osaka - 460 Castro
Sushi Zone - 1815 Market St

These three are a bit more of a scene, but still serve excellent fish:
Blowfish - 2170 Bryant St
Tsunami - 1306 Fulton St
Tokyo Go Go - 3174 16th St

Here are Citysearch reader's picks
( Last edited by mattyd; Mar 16, 2005 at 03:44 PM. )

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2005, 03:56 PM

Oh man, I should have booked more days in SF.

mattyd
Senior User
Mar 16, 2005, 04:10 PM

Seriously, enjoy yourself while you're here! The weather has been pretty outstanding the past few weeks (though it looks like rain this weekend).

Where are you staying?

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2005, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by mattyd:
Seriously, enjoy yourself while you're here! The weather has been pretty outstanding the past few weeks (though it looks like rain this weekend).

Where are you staying?
I'll be staying in the Union Square area for a few days. I'll be there mostly for work, but will definitely make time for fun (read food) while I'm there. If work wasn't so busy at the moment, I'd stay a few extra days just to amble around, because it is a beautiful city. But, I have to take what I can get.

mattyd
Senior User
Mar 16, 2005, 05:33 PM

Absolutely. Get it while you can.

Have fun!

HackManDan
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2005, 05:53 PM

When your in San Jose, trying checking out Niko on 1035 S Winchester Blvd. Its just south of the Winchester Mystery House, south of I-280. Check out the link below for more info. Its a pretty good place, a tad expensive, but well worth it.

http://www.google.com/local?q=niko+s...20444533986088

-HMD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All of this has happened before and all of it will happen again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2005, 11:09 PM

If you'll be staying around Union Square you should check out Sanraku @ 704 Sutter St. It's about 2 blocks west and 1 block north from Union Square. It's not anything fancy, but the seafood is fresh and the prices are reasonable.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 12:39 AM

Can't get sushi where I live, unfortunately. It's too bad because I love the stuff. It's one thing I like to order when I'm in New York (but only after I've had my pastrami and corned beef on rye with mustard and half-sour pickles on the side for a previous meal).

I also love good, freshly prepared Middle Eastern food. The hummus you buy in the supermarket is lousy compared to the what you can get in, say, Brooklyn. Yummy!

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2005, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by selowitch:
Can't get sushi where I live, unfortunately. It's too bad because I love the stuff. It's one thing I like to order when I'm in New York (but only after I've had my pastrami and corned beef on rye with mustard and half-sour pickles on the side for a previous meal).
Yeah, one of my favorite things about travel is trying out new places to eat. We've got sushi here, but it's not the best - I'm sure there is better in SF. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'll be back, a bit heavier, next week.

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by TeknoTurd:
If you'll be staying around Union Square you should check out Sanraku @ 704 Sutter St. It's about 2 blocks west and 1 block north from Union Square. It's not anything fancy, but the seafood is fresh and the prices are reasonable.
Seconded. Best place near Union Square.

I also second Tokyo Go Go. There's another small place near Golden Gate Park that was reall the best of the best but I can't give you the name and address. Off Arguello, only open like 3 days a week! THE BEST sushi I've ever had (really).

Otherwise for Seafood, you have to go to Tadich's, really neat old, old place. An institution.

Damn, now I'm hungry!

mattyd
Senior User
Mar 18, 2005, 03:02 PM

Another great San Francisco seafood "institution"...

Swan Oyster Depot on Polk Street

Family owned place for like a hundred years. They make a great clam chowder, really yummy, fresh seafood salads and, of course, they have a great selection of raw oysters.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by HackManDan:
When your in San Jose, trying checking out Niko on 1035 S Winchester Blvd. Its just south of the Winchester Mystery House, south of I-280. Check out the link below for more info. Its a pretty good place, a tad expensive, but well worth it.

http://www.google.com/local?q=niko+s...20444533986088

-HMD
Thanks for the info on Niko's, and all the other places!

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have much time to get up to San Francisco on my trip.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2005, 04:18 AM

FYI Ebisu (outer sunset, addy posted above by another member) is always rated best sushi in San Francisco.

I've had sushi there once, loved it .. small .. always crowded so that might be a problem for you.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 06:23 AM

Japantown has several good sushi spots. I usually frequent Isobune when I go there.

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2005, 04:04 PM

I got in too late last night... everything nearby was closed except for Mel's Drive-In. I've heard a lot about Ebisu. Are they open on Sundays?

Right now I'm at the Apple Store SF, looking at all the pretty toys.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2005, 11:31 AM

We got in on time last night, and went to Niko. Good stuff.

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2005, 07:05 PM

I'll give it a try tonight. I went to Ebisu last night (Sunday night)... wow. That was really good, and although it was crowded, the wait wasn't long at all.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2005, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
I'll give it a try tonight. I went to Ebisu last night (Sunday night)... wow. That was really good, and although it was crowded, the wait wasn't long at all.
glad you liked it.
when i mentioned the crowd, i meant noise. my favorite sushi spots have always been semi quiet. especially during off hours (not lunch/dinner rush)

i like lots of noise when i'm at a bar, but when i'm eating sushi, i'm more of a light conversation person. if they have dripping water somewhere, all the better.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules