Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Linux on the PS3, and legally!

Linux on the PS3, and legally!
Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 10:07 PM

It is appears that Yellow Dog Linux will be available for the PS3.

PowerPC Linux for Desktop, Workstation, Server, and HPC Clusters.

This makes the PS3 a full-fledged computer. I have heard speculation that the Cell chip will be used as a new computing platform. I have heard that it is a stab at Intel, Microsoft, and Apple. This is crazy stuff, in my thinking. Wasn't Microsoft mad about linux on the xbox? I mean ti makes sense, as they take a hit on the xbox, and they don't cash for the OS. Why would Terra Soft and Sony do this? Will the Cell be a server platform?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2006, 10:27 PM

Sony had a limited distribution of linux for the PS2.

It's entirely possible that they're using linux for the ps3 because sony is getting mildly more linux friendly in other areas: mylo is a linux based sony product.

PS3 is meant to use PSP as a controller and remote/ancillary screen down the line. Linux makes that eminently possible with not much pain.

It also means that the PS3 is justifiable as a purchase for a computer, as you say- one suitable for not crashing (much) not getting viruses or worms (much - there are a handful for linux) and being easy to deal with as a web appliance. Why buy a large desktop when you can use this as a email machine for grandma and a game machine for the grandkids, and a movie player when the parents want to watch?

Talk about addressing a wide range of people...

That YellowDog is supplying it is nice.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 11:15 PM

Yeah, posted in the console thread.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2006, 04:40 PM

That's kinda cool. Who knows someday the PS3 might be worth the insane amount of money sony's throwing at it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules