Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Need Help: Wacom Tablet

Need Help: Wacom Tablet
NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Oct 14, 2008, 03:41 PM

Anybody use a wacom tablet with a dual monitor set up, can you explain to me how this works with the relative placement on tablet too 2 screens as seen as my local apple store has no idea yet sells the things

also could you advise on which is best to get, i was thinking of the mid range one (all the bits baring the live drawing onto a screen) but based on the fact that most of my work is in illustrator and vector based, all im really after is a way of drawing vectors, any need for all the features like tilt? would the base version be just as good?

Matt
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

Thorzdad
Oct 14, 2008, 05:03 PM

I use a Wacom with Illustrator and have no problem with it lying flat on the desk. I think tilting it would make it harder to work on.

As for using it across two monitors...I've not seen anyone use a tablet like that, though I'm sure someone does. You might want to contact Wacom customer support and ask them how dual monitors works with a tablet.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Oct 15, 2008, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I use a Wacom with Illustrator and have no problem with it lying flat on the desk. I think tilting it would make it harder to work on.
lol i ment pen tilt sensitivity which u get with the intous rage

Thorzdad
Oct 15, 2008, 06:53 AM

Oh. ok. I guess that's what confused me. Tilt adjustment has been part of the Wacom software for several years now, so I didn't even think that's what you were referring to. I assumed you were talking about some new tablet I hadn't seen. My bad.

In that cse...YES...tilt is critical to being able to accurately (and naturally) draw with a tablet. Definitely go with a tablet with tilt sensitivity.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2008, 08:53 AM

Thorzdad, could you expand on that last part? What is the benefit of using tilt sensitivity if one only draws vectors, i.e. lines? It seems to me that I can draw vectors just fine with my non-tilt-sensitive Graphire tablet. If I draw hard lines on paper I don’t get any benefits from tilting the pen either, seeing as the tip on the biro or ballpoint I’d be using doesn’t change its surface area when tilted.

Thorzdad
Oct 15, 2008, 09:10 AM

The tilt sensitivity allows you to hold the pen in a more natural way...just like you would hold a pen when drawing on a pad of paper.
it also works in conjunction with pressure-sensitivity to allow you to more easily draw brush-like lines. That is, lines with varying thicknesses.

A tablet like the Intuos allows you to more fully use Illustrator's abilities. You can more easily freehand calligraphic and brush linework with a tablet that features both tilt and pressure adjustments.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Oct 15, 2008, 11:58 AM

i think im with redrocket on this, i cant see why having the tilt sensitivity when i plan on only really using it for drawing lines using say the Pencil tool rater than the brush. im not interested in say "drawing" and "painting" im more interested in using it for fluid "pathing"

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Oct 15, 2008, 12:00 PM

P.s. check this response i got from wacom LOL i though i was been clear with my question but maybe not:

ME:
hey

could you please explain to me how a Wacom tablet works using a dual
screen monitor set up?

Matt

WACOM:
Dear Matt, do you want to have 2 desktop or an extended desktop with 2 screen and your tablet? Which operating system are you running on your computer? what kind of tablet do you have?

On windows you can right click on your desktop, properties, settings and set the 2 screens as you wish.

If there should be further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Grégoire Iwaniec

Thorzdad
Oct 15, 2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
i think im with redrocket on this, i cant see why having the tilt sensitivity when i plan on only really using it for drawing lines using say the Pencil tool rater than the brush. im not interested in say "drawing" and "painting" im more interested in using it for fluid "pathing"
You can always turn-off the tilt adjustment. It's simply a feature, not a requirement. It simply helps you work in a more natural posture. Use it, or don't. It's kind of like cruise control on a car. You don't have to use it. But sometimes it actually comes in handy.

Thorzdad
Oct 15, 2008, 01:05 PM

P.s. check this response i got from wacom LOL i though i was been clear with my question but maybe not:...
Well, if that was your actual message to them, you don't provide any information about your computer, the OS, which tablet model you have, or if you are wanting to do desktop spanning or simply two separate desktops. They provided information for Windows because Windows users are their largest market.

Their reply seems pretty straightforward.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2008, 07:21 AM

I've used tablets with multiple monitors. Unfortunately, not all the features work as well with two monitors.

If you use the direct point to point mapping of the tablet to your desktop then your proportions are not the same as the tablet. The software lets you 'map' a part of the tablet for each screen if you like. You end up losing the resolution of the tablet by only translating a portion of the actual area on the tablet to each screen.

You mentioned using the relative motion option. It makes the pen move more like a mouse and probably works better in situations like you wish with more than one monitor. The software lets you move the position of mapping areas around similar to how you and 'arrange' the virtual placement of your two screens.

As for the pen/tilt pressure, it adds a significant feedback and realism to the stylus and provides for more realistic natural media effects. For your use it may not make much difference.

My only suggestions would be to get at least the 8x6 tablet size if you are using multiple monitors. The tilt feature is necessary for most uses as an assist to a more natural use of the stylus. In your case, plotting curves as vectors you're probably right that is doesn't really matter - in that case. But if you wish to use it for any other means the tilt sensitivity could benefit your work.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2008, 12:09 AM

I too use the multimonitor set up with sensual an intuos as others have said 'it basically splits it down the middle'. I map every button to absolute NOTHING though! it just causes too many problems for me and my palms as my tablet sits in front of my keyboard and with the new super low profile keyboards you are basically resting your palms where the zoom, scroll and other buttons reside. I have tried both the off to the left and right approach but with the amount of shortcuts i use and it just goes sad times . I also stopped using a mouse altogether a couple years ago because of the tablet... All my audio programs are so much easier to use with shortcuts and the pen. I understand why a lot of producers use the trackball but if you use this tablet with Logic or Cubase (any daw really) you would realize how much more precise the editing of both audio and midi can be. I always type with the pen held by my index finger so I have learned to type in a strange way now... Kind of like if i didn't have an index finger . What does suck though about typing while trying to keep your pen in your hand is that the 'eraser' point often dips down super close to the tablet doing all sorts of nonsense (Technical speak here, i know ). I just went OFF on how i use my tablet in this thread... guess i should tie this up here... Umm, so yeah, the tablet rules. In fact i have been using mine throughout this long winded and painful post to correct spelling and navigate around the body of the message. I wish this tablet would come with an editor to edit my posts which sometimes become long rants.... sorry .

P
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 15, 2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Well, if that was your actual message to them, you don't provide any information about your computer, the OS, which tablet model you have, or if you are wanting to do desktop spanning or simply two separate desktops. They provided information for Windows because Windows users are their largest market.

Their reply seems pretty straightforward.
Tbh i thought everything was there, i said dual monitor, not dual PC, the OS can be ignored as its performance is determined by the Wacom Softwear and not the OS so should be equal in both Windows and OS X

thanks for everyones responses, (kinda forgot i posted this as the following few days after after my last post i formated and had a few problems sorting, then had too much uni work to do) i did get another response from wacom saying i could set up one of the buttons to switch the tablet between monitors, which no one seems to have mentioned. kinda but the idea on hold for the moment as ive just spent over £100's on new monitor stand and setting up my newly purchased xbox 306 with the 2nd monitor and im now skint! also have the 2nd monitor in portrait mode now (most of the time) and if i decided i prefer working like that then i also have the issue of using a landscape wacom tablet with a portrait monitor (dont know if any of your have come across that) but thanks for all the responses and i may just add a tablet onto my xmas wish list

Thorzdad
Nov 15, 2008, 10:59 AM

... the OS can be ignored as its performance is determined by the Wacom Softwear and not the OS so should be equal in both Windows and OS X
Just as an aside, one should never make such an assumption. Software often varies between Mac and PC versions, as well as between different versions of the same OS. Heck, even if the software is supposed to be the same on both platforms, there can often be little bugs that arise within OS upgrades that create performance issues. When contacting any customer support, it is always a good idea to provide a complete description of your system.

Good luck with the xmas wish! I could use a new monitor, too. But, I think MY Santa is a bit short on funds this year.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 15, 2008, 11:29 AM

ok i will keep that in mind next time i ask such a question (not that i 100% agree in this case)

yer i nearly spent as much on the new monitor arm as i did on the monitor in the first place, but my god its worth it

i dont know what my santa will be like this year since they have just paid of almost 50% of my student loan, so dont think im gonna be too pushy

Forum Links
Forum Rules