Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ABC's V

ABC's V
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2009, 06:37 PM

Tuesday night: ABC.com - V - Home

Is it going to be better or worse than the 80's production?

Personally, I am going to have high expectations.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2009, 06:49 PM

A guy I know saw an advance of the first episode and said it showed promise. But he also liked Transformers 2, so his opinion might be worthless.

I plan on watching it. I loved V as a kid. It's not like it takes much of a commitment. If it sucks, I'll stop watching it.

I think it's only going to be 4 hour long episodes.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Gator Lager
Senior User
Nov 1, 2009, 06:53 PM

80's version is on the syfy channel right now.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2009, 07:00 PM

Given the actors I see in the commercials, this has to be shot in Canada.

Either that or they're just recycling Stargate and 4400 actors (and both of those were shot in Vancouver).

EDIT:

Yep. Shot in Vancouver.
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 1, 2009 at 07:06 PM. )

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I think it's only going to be 4 hour long episodes.
Then it returns after the Olympics for the rest of the season.
Vandelay Industries

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2009, 07:13 PM

Morena Baccarin? I might just have to watch it!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2009, 08:32 PM

The commercials look awesome. If the show lives up to them, it will be my favorite of the season. (Of course, that "if" should be written in a red 60pt font.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2009, 08:37 PM

Very excited about V. Can't wait. Loved watching V as a kid.

Has the dude from 4400 playing the priest.
Has the companion chick from FireFly playing an alien.
Commercials look great.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Cold Warrior
Nov 1, 2009, 09:03 PM

Good thread. Made me remember to add this one in TV Forecast so I don't miss it.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2009, 10:22 PM

I'm curious about how they'll "remake" it, seeing as how we already know what happens, you know?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2009, 12:38 AM

I'm looking forward to watching it. Should be quite interesting as long as they don't screw it up.

I just hope some humans get eaten.

Remember the scene in the original V where there is an industrial accident and some guy runs out and his frozen arm shatters? Nice.

paul w
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2009, 11:35 AM

I was kind of in love with the original Diana. This new one doesn't seem as badass, maybe it's the hair.

But yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to this.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2009, 12:11 PM

Another mini-series that could be better done as a 2 hour movie...or less.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2009, 12:18 PM

It's not a miniseries. It's a full series. They are airing the first four episodes this month during sweeps and the rest after the olympics.
Vandelay Industries

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 2, 2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
A guy I know saw an advance of the first episode and said it showed promise. But he also liked Transformers 2, so his opinion IS DEFINITELY AND TOTALLY worthless.
Fixed.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2009, 08:16 PM

I loved the 80s series and I do want to like this one.. Morena Baccarin is very hot as Anna. V hot.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2009, 09:39 PM

The show is looking promising, although the mother-son rift is already a little bit annoying.

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

Either that or they're just recycling Stargate and 4400 actors (and both of those were shot in Vancouver).

EDIT:

Yep. Shot in Vancouver.
Heheh. "4400 Pier Avenue". Inside joke?

BTW, does this mean no more Alpha on Dollhouse?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2009, 09:42 PM

EDIT:

Yep. Shot in Vancouver.
Since you live in Vancouver and close around there, I would assume you would recognized those tall buildings in the commercials if it was shot in Vancouver.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2009, 09:50 PM

I'm digging it so far.

Donx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2009, 10:37 PM

A little disappointed but what else is new. The show has a shot but that's because it's a great story. Let's just hope the it's not to "Hollywoodish". Still, I believe it will great better...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2009, 10:39 PM

BTW, does this mean no more Alpha on Dollhouse?
Scratch that... Spoke too soon...

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Since you live in Vancouver and close around there, I would assume you would recognized those tall buildings in the commercials if it was shot in Vancouver.
I haven't lived in Vancouver for over a decade.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2009, 11:08 PM

Too much too fast. WAY too fast, but still watching.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2009, 12:15 AM

Meh.

Someone refresh my memory: what's the deal with the snakes?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2009, 01:09 AM

I thought it was a great episode. Does seem to move fast.

Can't wait for the 2nd episode.

Wow. So many actors from other scifi shows.

There's even supergirl from smallville.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2009, 01:40 AM

Not bad. Progressed waaaay waaay to fast though, should have been 2 hours at the least. People who are new to the show should have been fooled for at least 5 episodes that the Aliens are actually nice and not ugly lizards. To much of it is exactly like the original other than the whole trendy 9/11 issues nowadays.

Some stuff they could get away with in the 80's like why the look just like humans but are ugly lizards underneath but can still have sex (I'm assuming the guy getting married isn't waiting for his wedding night for his first time), why they are the exact same proportions and why all the frozen water on other plants in our own solar system isn't just as appealing.

They should have given it some new idea's and twists, I don't like the whole terrorist angle.

Also none of it actually looked like NY to me, it looked like Canada dammnit. Most of NY isn't that sparkly and clean looking like that.

Still gonna watch it and try to enjoy it for what it is. An exact remake of a cheesy 80's show with better effects.

Oh and the 80's Diana would turn me straight. The new one is hot but not cool, bitchy and scary.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2009, 08:04 AM

i started watching it; hoping i would like it...a show for the winter months (now and then after olympics) but once the scene unfolded with the mom at the kid's computer...i turned to another channel. maybe i didn't really give it a chance, but well...sorry, didn't like it.

paul w
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Not bad. Progressed waaaay waaay to fast though, should have been 2 hours at the least. People who are new to the show should have been fooled for at least 5 episodes that the Aliens are actually nice and not ugly lizards. To much of it is exactly like the original other than the whole trendy 9/11 issues nowadays.

Some stuff they could get away with in the 80's like why the look just like humans but are ugly lizards underneath but can still have sex (I'm assuming the guy getting married isn't waiting for his wedding night for his first time), why they are the exact same proportions and why all the frozen water on other plants in our own solar system isn't just as appealing.

They should have given it some new idea's and twists, I don't like the whole terrorist angle.

Also none of it actually looked like NY to me, it looked like Canada dammnit. Most of NY isn't that sparkly and clean looking like that.

Still gonna watch it and try to enjoy it for what it is. An exact remake of a cheesy 80's show with better effects.

Oh and the 80's Diana would turn me straight. The new one is hot but not cool, bitchy and scary.
I agree with everything except the terrorist angle. I kind of like the idea that ANYONE outside that particular meeting could potentially be a Visitor.

And I hated the son. What a little overstereotyped dweeb.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
I agree with everything except the terrorist angle. I kind of like the idea that ANYONE outside that particular meeting could potentially be a Visitor.

And I hated the son. What a little overstereotyped dweeb.
The guy that gives the speech in the meeting sounds like he is based on David Icke:
David Icke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

David Vaughan Icke (pronounced /aɪk/; born 29 April 1952) is a British writer and public speaker who has devoted himself since 1990 to researching "who and what is really controlling the world."[1] A former professional football player, reporter, television sports presenter, and spokesman for the Green Party, he is the author of 20 books explaining his views.

Icke argues that he has developed a moral and political worldview that combines spiritualism with a passionate denunciation of what he sees as totalitarian trends in the modern world, a position described as "New Age conspiracism."[2] At the heart of his theories lies the view that the world is ruled by a secret group of reptilian humanoids called the "Illuminati," or Babylonian Brotherhood—which he has linked to The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, an anti-Semitic hoax—and that many prominent figures are reptilian, including George W. Bush, Queen Elizabeth II, Kris Kristofferson, and Boxcar Willie.[3]

Reptilian humanoids
In 1999, Icke wrote and published The Biggest Secret: The Book that Will Change the World, in which he identified the extraterrestrial prison warders as reptilians from the constellation Draco.[23] They walk erect and appear to be human, living not only on the planets they come from, but also in caverns and tunnels under the earth. They have cross-bred with humans, which has created "hybrids" who are "possessed" by the full-blooded reptilians.[24] The reptiles' hybrid reptilian-human DNA allows them to change from reptilian to human form if they consume human blood. Icke has drawn parallels with the 1980s science-fiction series V, in which the earth is taken over by reptiloid aliens disguised as humans.

According to Icke, the reptilian group includes many prominent people and practically every world leader from Britain's late Queen Mother to George H.W. Bush, Hillary Clinton, Harold Wilson, and Tony Blair. These people are either themselves reptilian, or work for the reptiles as what Icke calls slave-like victims of multiple personality disorder: "The Rothschilds, Rockefellers, the British royal family, and the ruling political and economic families of the U.S. and the rest of the world come from these SAME bloodlines. It is not because of snobbery, it is to hold as best they can a genetic structure — the reptilian-mammalian DNA combination which allows them to 'shape-shift'."[25]

In Tales From The Time Loop and other works, Icke states that most organised religions, especially Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, are Illuminati creations designed to divide and conquer the human race through endless conflicts. In a similar vein, Icke believes racial and ethnic divisions are an illusion promoted by the reptilians, and that racism fuels the Illuminati agenda.
Nooo, not Boxcar Willie!
45/47

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2009, 01:27 PM

So why did that ONE jet crash with an uncocoious pilot who ejected? I thought they have been planning this for years and somehow they show up with a really really bad first impression?

It is also weird how their whole spaceship was made with a giant transforming TV built into the bottom. How often would they really need to use something like this.

Even if they are lizards with human skin on top they have really sexy bone structure and knockers.

What happened to the whole sunglasses, red uniforms and weird voices like the 80's? I loved those things!

They should have also had a cameo from one of the 80's cast to win the old fans over.

paul w
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2009, 01:44 PM

Indeed, it's not as though Marc Singer is too busy or expensive.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2009, 01:52 PM

Even if they are lizards with human skin on top they have really sexy bone structure and knockers.
That's something we'll just have to accept... and I will gladly do so.

P.S. They arguably touched on it in the beginning of the episode. I don't know what that device is called, but they used it: Acknowledge right in the dialogue that doesn't quite make sense, so the story can move on beyond that.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2009, 02:00 PM

There was talk of Marc Singer being involved at some point, not sure what happened.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2009, 02:06 PM

BTW I would also light to point out that when mr teenager was talking on his iPhone to his mom the iPhone screen remained illuminated. Tisk tisk to whoever was in charge of that

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Someone refresh my memory: what's the deal with the snakes?
Their plane was recently desnaked.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2009, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Their plane was recently desnaked.
frack Marc "Beast Man" Singer" We need Samuel L Jackson!
NSFW version YouTube - Snakes On a Plane- Samuel L. Jackson

SFW version YouTube - Snakes On A Plane - TV edit - MF SNAKES
45/47

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2009, 11:39 PM

Sigh... no one ate any small mammals in the first ep.

Also, whats with the FBI agents in all the shows this season? Would it kill them to have the 'hero' be played by a scientist or something like in the original? Or are scientists no longer in fashion?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2009, 11:49 PM

The best TV version of a movie is Hot Fuzz, especially when you watch the Funkin' Chain extra on the DVD.

"Peas and Rice" had to be the funniest dub ever.
"Jesus Christ"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2009, 11:50 PM

By the way, that was a horrible pilot. Already I can tell that the one thing those aliens can't cure is dumbass.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2009, 01:29 PM

uncocoious
wtf?
Nemo me impune lacesset

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
wtf?
Great example of autocorrection gone haywire

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2009, 08:04 PM

I watched the first two episodes back to back and besides some cringeworthy moments (all caused by the son of the FBI agent and Scott Peters' touch) I am entertained enough so far.

Yes Scott Peters who created the 4400, four seasons of cringe. It was BSG cringe, but wasn't as popular.

I'm glad ABC decided to demote him a bit for the latter 9 episodes of the season. Oh and get rid of that kid (Ms. FBI's son) no later than yesterday.

The special effects are nice enough for high-profile TV, but I don't mind effects that much. After all the effects in Babylon 5 didn't bother me at all!!

I suspect that the writers and producers pretty much assumed that we were already familiar with the basic premise of V, so I didn't mind that the Visitors were exposed as reptiles in the very first episode. In fact, I suspect that these four first episodes will run through the basic story of the 1983 miniseries more or less and set up for a «re-imagining» for the latter 9 episodes.

That's where Scott Peters must be subdued. He just isn't talented. Poor fella.

Oh one more thing is grating, though not exactly cringe-worthy: that they call the Visitors «V» instead of using «V» for victory and the sign of the resistance. It's a stupid change from the original series and completely arbitrary. The symbolic meaning of «V» is pretty much lost by using it as a nickname for the Visitors themselves.

Finally the producer (Scott Peters) isn't talented enough to hold together a coherent timeline. Things happen fast, yes - but some things happen too fast. Seemingly in one day, the news anchor finds a way to call together people for a discussion about the Visitors, gets reprimanded by Anna on board the alien ship, the US government gives the Visitors visas to walk freely in the US because of the broadcast.... and all the while there is a scene with the glue-sniffing son of the FBI agent playing Nazi in daylight. The entire episode.

OK, this can't just be Scott Peters' fault, surely he has assistants.. but such lack of coherent storytelling is his trademark (e.g. 4400). Damn that show sucked rocks.

All in all the first two episodes of V are entertaining, but flawed perhaps to a irreparable degree - but they are entertaining. Thus, worth watching the last two episodes for sure.

I have no idea where they are going with this or how ABC is going to make this a multi-season thing, but well... the first two episodes of Lost were not interesting at all and I do remember how some characters there were incredibly annoying to begin with and later turned out very interesting and deep (e.g. Jack).

We'll see where this goes, but this four episode mini-series should be entertaining enough.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 11:28 PM

Part of the first season of 4400 wasn't too bad, and the pacing was nowhere near as fast as the first 2 episodes of V.

Thus, I think the odd pacing of events for V is intentional.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2009, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post

The special effects are nice enough for high-profile TV, but I don't mind effects that much. After all the effects in Babylon 5 didn't bother me at all!!
So are you legally blind or legally retarded?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2009, 12:00 AM

So far, the show is looking to be a variation of Roddenberry's "Earth: Final Conflict".

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2009, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Finally the producer (Scott Peters) isn't talented enough to hold together a coherent timeline. Things happen fast, yes - but some things happen too fast. Seemingly in one day, the news anchor finds a way to call together people for a discussion about the Visitors, gets reprimanded by Anna on board the alien ship, the US government gives the Visitors visas to walk freely in the US because of the broadcast.... and all the while there is a scene with the glue-sniffing son of the FBI agent playing Nazi in daylight. The entire episode.
If you re-watch the first episode, you will see that a week passed between events.

Too bad the show sucks so bad.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2009, 03:43 AM

wasn't impressed with the second ep at all, probably won't watch any more.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2009, 10:20 AM

Yeah, I don't think this one has legs.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2009, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
So far, the show is looking to be a variation of Roddenberry's "Earth: Final Conflict".
That was also filmed in Canada (Toronto).

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2009, 11:25 AM

The first ep was decent enough, but then the second... it ended and I was like, "Wait, what? It's over? When was everything supposed to happen!?"
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2009, 07:36 PM

Part of the first season of 4400 wasn't too bad
Absolutely agreed, which is why I managed to watch the second season as well before throwing something at the TV. It had promise, but well.. then it didn't.

So are you legally blind or legally retarded?

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
If you re-watch the first episode, you will see that a week passed between events.
Yeah maybe, but the scene I was describing happened in the second episode and there wasn't any timeline text to explain things. Regardless, the time that passes between cuts seems to be everything from «meanwhile in another place» to «three weeks later» without much hints of how much time has passed..

Feels a bit confusing sometimes - as in, I'd have to re-watch the episode to get it.

Anyway, this is just first impression - I really get the feel of the series until I've finished at least the first season! I really hope this re-imagining will lead somewhere unexpected and interesting, seeing as they crammed most of the original series plot into the first episode (sort of).

V is a cool concept and should be damn hard to screw up completely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules