Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Audi, BMW or Mercedes

View Poll Results: What do you own ?
Poll Options:
Audi 17 votes (32.69%)
BMW 20 votes (38.46%)
Mercedes 14 votes (26.92%)
None 11 votes (21.15%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll
Audi, BMW or Mercedes (Page 5)
mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2010, 10:16 PM

I had a good time on the track in an auto A4 Avant after I broke the axle on my M3. Even managed to pass a few Miatas (they were in the green [newbie] group).

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Automatics make controlling a car a lot more annoying, even for things like simple acceleration.
You have issues.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2010, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I understand that, but, having driven 2.8 Avants, the motor simply isn't up to the task of moving the thing around (at least at this altitude) with any sort of haste.

The B6 version has a NA 3.0 engine with all the bells and whistles and the tip. I don't care what anyone says about manuals vs. automatics or tiptronic cars... LA at any time and my left foot on a clutch are 'teh suck'. I purchased my car to get around this city and for road trips... it also carries my gear when we aren't on tour and i need to bring gear to a different studios. the USP versions of the B6 are amazing wagons as well. I love my 3.0 tip in l.a. or longer trips to s.f. or las vegas.

Also, anyone saying that tiptronic shifting isn't as fast as manual must be an amazing driver. They do have Vag Com changes that will change your shift time. The s6 avant (v10) is a beast, I don't think they brought the b7 (v8?) or b8 V10 avants or the rs avants out to the u.s. in either the 4 or 6 platform. I did drive the s6 saloon (v10) and it was a blast. that car was just going, going gone.... fast.

A couple people in the audi world are putting doing the whole mac mini car computer thing which i always love seeing....

Anyway, I love that there are more and more people seeing the audi avants and loving them. Just wish there were more of them out here.

love,
p
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2010, 11:32 PM

Oh yeah, btw, i have the Bilstein coilovers and the avant is blk on blk with gunmetal usp rims.
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by sadpandas View Post
The B6 version has a NA 3.0 engine with all the bells and whistles and the tip. I don't care what anyone says about manuals vs. automatics or tiptronic cars... LA at any time and my left foot on a clutch are 'teh suck'. I purchased my car to get around this city and for road trips... it also carries my gear when we aren't on tour and i need to bring gear to a different studios. the USP versions of the B6 are amazing wagons as well. I love my 3.0 tip in l.a. or longer trips to s.f. or las vegas.

Also, anyone saying that tiptronic shifting isn't as fast as manual must be an amazing driver. They do have Vag Com changes that will change your shift time. The s6 avant (v10) is a beast, I don't think they brought the b7 (v8?) or b8 V10 avants or the rs avants out to the u.s. in either the 4 or 6 platform. I did drive the s6 saloon (v10) and it was a blast. that car was just going, going gone.... fast.

A couple people in the audi world are putting doing the whole mac mini car computer thing which i always love seeing....

Anyway, I love that there are more and more people seeing the audi avants and loving them. Just wish there were more of them out here.

love,
p
Rob and I were talking about the A6 Avants, not the A4. Tiptronic isn't that fast at shifting. You're referring to S-tronic, which is a dual-clutch setup, not a torque-converter with manual override. We don't get any S Avants or RS Avants in the US anymore (A4 or A6-based).

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2010, 01:39 AM

Rob and I were talking about the A6 Avants, not the A4. Tiptronic isn't that fast at shifting. You're referring to S-tronic, which is a dual-clutch setup, not a torque-converter with manual override. We don't get any S Avants or RS Avants in the US anymore (A4 or A6-based).
Yes, that is what i said.... confusingly i am sure... Anyway, over on one of the audi forums people have brought them to the u.s. but had to make some changes for the dot. I guess you can bring them in as a 'show car or concept' for a limited time then it must go back... I just wish they would release either of them here. I love the avant a lot more than the saloons... again, just my opinion.

Tips aren't THAT bad like i said before. i didn't super charger my NA engine. If i wanted to tool around with it i would have purchased a 1.8 a4 avant at that time.. But again, i like the extra comfort options on the 3.0 that the 1.8 doesnt come with... The (C6) RS6 still comes with tip though it is remapped:

Drive output passes through a modified ZF 6HP26A six-speed tiptronic automatic transmission (parts code: 09E, identification code: KZQ or KZH) (gear ratios - 1st: 4.171, 2nd: 2.340, 3rd: 1.521, 4th: 1.143, 5th: 0.867, 6th: 0.691), with shortened shift times, with "Dynamic Shift Programme" (DSP) and "Sport" mode. It has paddle-shifts mounted behind the flat-bottomed steering wheel, similar in design to the Audi B7 RS4. The gearbox is set by default, in conventional automatic mode, to delay up-changes during acceleration, and change down earlier to maximise engine braking. Downchanges in all modes of operation include the Powertrain Control Module electronic control unit (ECU) "blipping" the Bosch "E-Gas" drive by wire throttle, for smoother shift changes. The hydraulic torque converter includes a lock-up function in all forward gears, and is able to completely disconnect when the vehicle is stationary, thus saving fuel.

From the mighty wiki!

love,
p

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2010, 01:41 AM

Oh and just so we can all see how beautiful the estate version is. here ya go .

p

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2010, 01:51 AM

I certainly agree with you that Avants are better looking. For me personally, if a car is available as a sedan or a wagon, I'd choose the wagon any time.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2010, 02:21 AM

I certainly agree with you that Avants are better looking. For me personally, if a car is available as a sedan or a wagon, I'd choose the wagon any time.

amen.... rs6 avant? Ultimate sleeper. "Is that a 579 hp wagon? yes, yes it is.....". Which brings me to the MTM tuned 702hp monster. I love it so much it hurts my insides....

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2010, 02:25 AM

Oh yeah... btw, in case anyone was wondering what you need a wagon that is capable of going 214mph, you don't need it but want? yeah, i want that. It is a super car without the 'im sorry about my penis" that comes along with it. 214 mph... in a F*ING wagon!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 06:21 AM

Wow. Audi drivers with penis issues. Who'd have thought it?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 15, 2010, 09:58 AM

I understand that, but, having driven 2.8 Avants, the motor simply isn't up to the task of moving the thing around (at least at this altitude) with any sort of haste.
Yeah, but wagons don't have to be fast. I thought it was "adequate". Then again, I drove faster than almost anybody, even when I had my 98hp accord. HP doesn't matter a whole lot to me, for a daily.

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 15, 2010, 10:01 AM

Sadpandas: Dude, is English your first language? Just wondering, because reading your posts is kind of like falling down a flight of stairs.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2010, 05:08 PM

Yeah, but wagons don't have to be fast. I thought it was "adequate". Then again, I drove faster than almost anybody, even when I had my 98hp accord. HP doesn't matter a whole lot to me, for a daily.
Well it probably would be adequate for me as well at a lower altitude. I forget how much power is lost up here (about 20% by some estimates).

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2010, 07:30 PM

Sadpandas: Dude, is English your first language? Just wondering, because reading your posts is kind of like falling down a flight of stairs.
No, it isn't my 1st language. English is my third... I will try to articulate myself more clearly for ya champ, cool?

love,
p

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 15, 2010, 08:58 PM

No problem man, just wondering. Peace!

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2010, 12:18 AM

Peace? You post a thread insulting my lack of understanding the English language and then post; peace? Come on man. I see you are fairly new here although you sure do love to post a lot so, let me welcome you. Just out of curiosity i looked at one of your last posts and it was something like this:

"Nope. I mean... think of it really. I feel I'm a happier, healthier person now that I'm not married. When I was married, I was usually an asshole on these very boards."

Perhaps your failed marriage and your shite outlook on life might be better off if you really did stop being an 'asshole' as you put it.... So, my grizzled veteran of the forums, instead of looking at other's faults you could look inward and say "hey, maybe i shouldn't be posting so much and concentrate on my gruve with umlauts design....".

If i wasn't clear because of this being my 3rd language and all please understand i am only trying to understand you as you were only trying to understand me with great difficulty it seems. I do hope you find a better and 'healthier' place in life. Mine rules.

Love you,
Pandas

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 16, 2010, 12:21 AM

Woah dude. Chill out. I meant no offense. Just the way you typed was very jilted. Not sure how I was insulting you, since I was apparently CORRECT in my assumption (that English wasn't your first language).

Once you confirmed that, I said "No problem man, just wondering. Peace!", because, I was just wondering. Way to flip out over nothing though. Are all foreigners as hostile as you?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2010, 12:30 AM

Peace? You post a thread insulting my lack of understanding the English language and then post; peace? Come on man. I see you are fairly new here although you sure do love to post a lot so, let me welcome you. Just out of curiosity i looked at one of your last posts and it was something like this:

"Nope. I mean... think of it really. I feel I'm a happier, healthier person now that I'm not married. When I was married, I was usually an asshole on these very boards."

Perhaps your failed marriage and your shite outlook on life might be better off if you really did stop being an 'asshole' as you put it.... So, my grizzled veteran of the forums, instead of looking at other's faults you could look inward and say "hey, maybe i shouldn't be posting so much and concentrate on my gruve with umlauts design....".

If i wasn't clear because of this being my 3rd language and all please understand i am only trying to understand you as you were only trying to understand me with great difficulty it seems. I do hope you find a better and 'healthier' place in life. Mine rules.

Love you,
Pandas
Whoa. Rob said something nice and you flip out? He's been around a lot longer than you, btw.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2010, 02:20 AM

Im going to end this... I apologize for the 'hostile' response, i should have re read it, edited and posted. I had no reason to bring your personal life into this but after reading your response to my last response i understand how you meant it to read. Again, another reason reading what someone wrote rather than how someone wrote it sucks on these forums... As for me being a poser because i drive an automatic is neither here nor there. As stated in an above post i am not trying to go fast, i am simply trying to be comfortable driving in a city that sucks to drive in.

imitchellg5,
I appreciate both you knowing how long Rob has been around and you feeling the need to come to your buddy's aid but this is between Rob and I. What about what Rob said to me was nice? He asked me if English was my second language because reading my posts was like falling down a flight of stairs. Although funny, not super 'nice'.

Love,
p

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2010, 02:27 AM

You peeps should all go buy Ferraris. Then you'd get laid more and there wouldn't be all this simmering sexual tension between you.

@ Audi drivers. Clarkson was right.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2010, 02:30 AM

If I could afford a Ferrari I damn sure would have one.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2010, 03:23 AM

imitchellg5,
I appreciate both you knowing how long Rob has been around and you feeling the need to come to your buddy's aid but this is between Rob and I

Love,
p
That shts heavy, man.

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 16, 2010, 03:44 AM

That guy needs to go jihad on someone else.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
You peeps should all go buy Ferraris. Then you'd get laid more and there wouldn't be all this simmering sexual tension between you.

@ Audi drivers. Clarkson was right.
Oh okay, I'll just go pick one up after school

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 16, 2010, 07:04 PM

Not sure how I was insulting you
Yes, because only a complete ****ing idiot could construe this:
reading your posts is kind of like falling down a flight of stairs
as any sort of insult.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2010, 07:17 PM

Sweet sig Laminar, alt text from XKCD I presume?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 17, 2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Sweet sig Laminar, alt text from XKCD I presume?
Yes. Loved that one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules