Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > any star wars collectors out there?

any star wars collectors out there?
dav
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 03:43 PM

found my old sets of star wars trading cards at my parents house - what a flashback, i remember collecting and trading them in elementary school. it was such a ruckus back then the principal eventually banned trading in school.
guess they may eventually find their way to ebay.
one post closer to five stars

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2002, 03:47 PM

I am more of a figures guy.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

beb
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 03:52 PM

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2002, 04:03 PM

Why did I know that SHoS would be first to reply to this?!?!??!!

I'm more of a Trekkie myself. Don't get me started on Star Wars , any of them.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2002, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by ajprice:
<STRONG>Why did I know that SHoS would be first to reply to this?!?!??!!

I'm more of a Trekkie myself. Don't get me started on Star Wars , any of them.</STRONG>
I am also a trekie, I have about 200 trek figures.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 04:43 PM

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2002, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Mr_Frost:
<STRONG>My room about 3 years ago

A strange mixture of Transformers, SW, and other movie-related toys</STRONG>
Nerd Heaven.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Feb 25, 2002, 07:16 PM

I blame my ex-father in-law for getting me started with collecting at an older age. When I'd gotten out of the Navy back in 1993 the guy had amassed a huge collection of Star Trek memorabilia. He decorated his entire apartment with the stuff on display. Somehow this got us(my ex and me) into Star Wars collecting, and we displayed the stuff in our former "dwelling". It turned into a full-time addiction If we had any money to burn that's where it went (more Star Wars "stuff"). Gladly, there's nothing she had in her own collection which I also didn't have, so there was very little to split-up when we divorced.

Now I'm a fully recoverred "Star Wars collecting addict". I was really into it a few years back, but just had to stop the insanity. I still haven't sold any of it off yet, but my collection consists primarily of Action Figures (both the old and Newer ones) I only have like the first "wave" of the TPM figures. I have a few autographed Plaques including Harrison Ford, Mark Hammil, Carrie Fisher and David Prowse. Franklin Mint Milllennium Falcon and AT-AT. A bunch of the Hammilton Collectors plates. I also have almost all the old Marvel comic movie adaptations as well as several of the Dark Horse spin-offs, I think I have a Platinum and Gold set of a few of the dark Horse mini-series (Dark Empire??.......it's been a while).

I also have several of the original TOPPS cards, the more recent TOPPS "widescreen" cards and a few cards that were relased which are Metal sets (I forget the manufacturer name). Sadly although my father actually WORKED for TOPPS as a graphic artist and would frequently bring us home lots of "freebies" I have nothing to show for it. My brother (the trekkie) has several un-cut sheets and other "goodies". I still kick myself in the @$$ because my dad got me a promo poster with "Revenge of the Jedi" printed on it before the movies release. I did what any kid would do with a poster, I hung it on my wall with tape and when it got old I tossed it in the garbage. That "Revenge of the Jedi" poster is worth a sh_tload now

Anyway I have tons of SW stuff which I'm not sure whether I want to sit on it or sell off just yet. Last time I took inventory according to blue book value from a few years back, my collection was worth something like 10-15K.

My brother is more of the Trekkie/Trekker (I forget which one is more "politically correct"). He's 10 yrs my senior and took me to see Star wars in 1977 when I was 8 yrs old and I've loved Star Wars ever since. Trek never did it for me, but I still like the original series, and I "almost" followed Voyager for a bit (I didn't really get into TNG or DS9).

Mike

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: MikeM32 ]

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2002, 12:36 AM

I own a 35mm print of Star Wars that doesn't say "Episode IV" on it.

Does that count?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2002, 01:49 AM

I used to be...but when it comes to "toys", I still dig the old Japanese vinyl stuff the best.

But then, saving for $2200 rifles takes up more of my money than can be allocated towards those old childhood things. Heh.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2002, 09:17 AM

I still have all my original SW toys, packed safely in boxes for preservation. Quick inventory:

Plastic (big enough for figures to fit in):
Tie Fighter
X-wing
Millenium Falcon
Snowspeeder

Diecast metal:
Tie Fighter
Millenium Falcon

Lots of SW figures but I can't remember how many. I'd like to take all the stuff out sometime and do a more complete inventory- I'm sure they're worth something these days.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2002, 10:14 AM

I had/have the complete set of figures (including all accessories!) up until they put out the Power of the Force series in '85. I got fed up then and only got one or two of the new ones in '85 (including Amanaman, which I'm told is now worth about �90! ).

Some of the toys (all of them from the '80's):
- Millennium Falcon (heavily painted/modded unfortunately)
- Snowspeeder
- X-Wing Fighter (2nd rev, with battle damage decals)
- B-Wing Fighter (my favorite, in original box!)
- TIE Fighter
- Y-Wing Fighter
- Land Speeder (modded to hell for realism - my other favorite )
- Boba Fett's Slave-1 (also modded)
- ...and a couple of the smaller craft/creatures - like the Ewok glider, Tauntaun, Jabba the Hutt, etc.

...and of course, the one that started it all when I got it for my eighth birthday in 1981: the Tatooine desert patrol lizard.

I had *all* the original cardboard packaging for the figures (sorted and filed in a large folder) until my mom made me throw them away ten years ago. Apparently, they add a lot of value to the figures.

I'm debating with myself whether or not to sell off most of this stuff (except for a couple of favorite figures and ships) to finance studio equipment, and if so, when would be the best time to do so...AFAIK, prices are still rising here in Europe?

Any thoughts?

-spheric*

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: Spheric Harlot ]

mavapa
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2002, 10:23 AM

I have a t-shirt from the Pacific Missile Range Facility from a Star Wars test flight.

Oh, you mean the movie.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2002, 12:49 PM

I have a ton of Star Wars legos and a bunch of random crap.

At some point in my life, everyone decided that I was a huge Star Wars fan (which I guess I am) and I would love to get any sort of Star Wars merchandise as a gift. So, every year I would get all sorts of stuff as gifts, and toss it in my room. People would see the stuff, assume I loved it and continued buying it for me. It was a deadly cycle. I never bought a single Star Wars item, and I never really wanted them, but somehow I ended up with a room filled with Star Wars crud and a big reputation for being a "super-fan".

The Legos however I have been collecting on my own. Those things are just so cool. My two favorite childhood toys, fused into one!

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: ort888 ]

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2002, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by ort888:
<STRONG>The Legos however I have been collecting on my own. Those things are just so cool. My two favorite childhood toys, fused into one!
</STRONG>
I just spent an hour in the Lego section of a local department store a few days ago...there is some really cool stuff out.
They also had a *LIFE-SIZE* Darth Vader out of Lego.

I *so* want the Dark Side Developers' Kit - for the robot AT-AT. Does anybody know exactly what the thing can do? Does it react to its environments? Is it programmable? I haven't been able to find any real info on the net, only marketing blabla.

-spheric*

Forum Links
Forum Rules