Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro Apple Care - is it transferrable?

Mac Pro Apple Care - is it transferrable?
Kikaida
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2008, 02:45 AM

I have a Mac Pro 2.66 that will likely need a new power supply and logic board. The Apple Store has quoted me almost $1300 to repair my computer without Apple Care (I know, it was an incredibly stupid decision to not get it upon purchase.)

Does anyone know that if I purchase Apple Care now, will Apple honor it (and cover the $1300 in repairs?) Have I screwed myself by already getting a quote for repair?

cms
Senior User
Mar 27, 2008, 04:22 AM

Really sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it looks as though you are out of luck. AppleCare is specific to the machine, and must be registered with Apple to your computer's serial number. You cannot transfer it between computers. Also, I assume your MacPro is out of warranty. given that Apple has already given you a repair quote. AppleCare, if not purchased at POS, can be bought at any time within Apple's standard initial 12-month warranty and applied at any time prior to the first anniversary of your computer's ship date. You cannot purchase and apply the AppleCare extended warranty after the initial 12-month warranty has expired.

OreoCookie
Mar 27, 2008, 08:36 AM

AppleCare is registered to a machine, not a person. Once you've registered it, it cannot be undone. But AppleCare is great if you want to sell your machine.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2008, 09:56 AM

I can remember talking to Apple to transfer the owner info for my 17" PowerBook when I had sold it to another person so that person figures as owner of the PowerBook… I wonder, was that just not needed?, would the Mac be covered by AppleCare no matter what if I haven't had passed that info to Apple?, I bought a Mac from another person and it comes with AppleCare, do I need to ask the seller to get in contact with Apple about it?, by 'AppleCare is registered to a machine, not a person' I guess it would be so but I wonder if Apple could ponder if the Mac was stoled or whatever…

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I can remember talking to Apple to transfer the owner info for my 17" PowerBook when I had sold it to another person so that person figures as owner of the PowerBook… I wonder, was that just not needed?, would the Mac be covered by AppleCare no matter what if I haven't had passed that info to Apple?, I bought a Mac from another person and it comes with AppleCare, do I need to ask the seller to get in contact with Apple about it?, by 'AppleCare is registered to a machine, not a person' I guess it would be so but I wonder if Apple could ponder if the Mac was stoled or whatever…
You should ask the owner to transfer the AppleCare over, but it's not a problem if he doesn't. Apple will just ask you a couple of questions if you ever use the AppleCare. Since it goes with the computer they know the computer is covered, they just may ask if you bought it recently. Apple doesn't really track stolen computers.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 24, 2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
AppleCare is registered to a machine, not a person. Once you've registered it, it cannot be undone. But AppleCare is great if you want to sell your machine.
Actually that's not true. AppleCare can be cancelled any time. If it's within 30 days of activation, you get a full refund, after that it's prorated. You can mail in a cancellation, or call AppleCare and ask for Plan Administration. It's in the fine print.

People do that sometimes when a machine is damaged (e.g. a drop) and it's cheaper to buy a new one than to repair the old. Then the unused AppleCare can be refunded and applied to the new Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules