Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New Time Machine behavior since last update?

New Time Machine behavior since last update?
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2008, 02:28 PM

On my machine, Time Machine now does a backup whenever I wake from sleep, regardless of the normal schedule. Anyone else seeing this?
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

cms
Senior User
Mar 30, 2008, 03:07 PM

Yes, I can definitely confirm this happens on my MBP. A sensible "tweak", IMHO....

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2008, 03:19 PM

I'm getting this on my iMac as well. Kinda strange if you ask me. And a little annoying as I have my Time Machine set to only back up once a day and didn't expect/want the hard drive thrashing that a backup inevitably causes.

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by cms View Post
Yes, I can definitely confirm this happens on my MBP. A sensible "tweak", IMHO....
The only issue is that TM doesn't take the normal schedule into account. In other words, the TM will back up after I wake up, and then again five minutes later.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

cms
Senior User
Mar 30, 2008, 03:27 PM

I can see why this would be less than useful on a desktop system as nothing new happens when it's asleep. But for a laptop, this is really very useful indeed. I can be on-site with clients all day, doing all sorts of stuff, and come home with my laptop sleeping in its case. Then I plug it in to recharge, pop the lid up and it backs up all the data to TM I've picked up during the day without me having to do anything -- or even to remember to leave the lid open for the next hour or so until it backs up according to schedule.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2008, 03:57 PM

Assuming, of course, that you're using TimeCapsule or that you always plug in your external drive immediately even if you're not going to be using it...

cms
Senior User
Mar 30, 2008, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Assuming, of course, that you're using TimeCapsule or that you always plug in your external drive immediately even if you're not going to be using it...
Errr...I thought that was the point....

I use TC on my LAN, so the laptop backs up over the wireless network. Which is exactly what I want. No mess, no fuss just --- erm... backups.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2008, 12:09 AM

If someone wants to hack their system, the behavior seems to be determined by this (launchd) plist:
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-wake.plist
-HI-

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2008, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by cms View Post
Errr...I thought that was the point....

I use TC on my LAN, so the laptop backs up over the wireless network. Which is exactly what I want. No mess, no fuss just --- erm... backups.
Yes, but if you don't have Time Capsule, which I don't, and you aren't in the habit of always connecting your laptop up to an external drive, which I'm not, then it's a useless behavior.

On my iMac it's less useless because it's always connected to the backup drive, but it's still annoying because I don't necessarily want it to be backing up then nor do I want to have to deal with the noise and resource consumption it requires.

cms
Senior User
Mar 31, 2008, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Yes, but if you don't have Time Capsule, which I don't, and you aren't in the habit of always connecting your laptop up to an external drive, which I'm not, then it's a useless behavior.

On my iMac it's less useless because it's always connected to the backup drive, but it's still annoying because I don't necessarily want it to be backing up then nor do I want to have to deal with the noise and resource consumption it requires.
This is clearly one of those situations in which you can't please all of the people all of the time.....

I do take your point, though, that Apple does seem to have modified Time Machine in order to favour those who (like me) have invested in a Time Capsule.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2008, 02:12 AM

It wouldn't bother me at all (I'm all in favor of greater data security) except for the fact that Time Machine has such a large effect on the computing experience. If it were silent (less of an issue with Time Capsule), used less RAM, and used less CPU I wouldn't mind that it happened every time I woke my computer up from sleep.

Forum Links
Forum Rules