Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Japanese speaking folks please do me a favour.....

Japanese speaking folks please do me a favour.....
euphras
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 07:26 AM

...can somebody translate the code EP71 into japanese (both the japanese characters and the translation, like "hachi roku" for 86)

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2005, 12:18 PM

you can do it yourself if you go to sysprefs / international and enable japanese language.

then open textedit and type:

"i" and you will get an "E" character
"pi" and you will get a "P" character
type "nana" and you will get the "7" character
type "iti" and you will get the "1" chracter

someone here will probably do it for you though.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 12:38 PM

That would be "ii pii shichi ichi" or "ii pii nana ichi" - either is fine - for "E - P - 7 - 1".

In Japanese writing:
イーピー七一
though you're more likely to see it as
イーピー71

If you want "seventy-one", that would be "ii pii nana-jyuu ichi".
イーピー七十一

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 12:39 PM

What in the world does "EP71" mean? Without that it would be difficult to give a proper translation; just look at all of the possibilities given above. If you're just looking for pronunciation, then イーピーなないち or ななじゅういち is fine, but if you're looking to write this in Japanese then it's probably just going to be "EP71."

PS. If you want this in Japanese because Japanese is "cool," please don't do whatever you were planning to do with it.

PPS. If "EP71" is the networking stuff shown first in a Google search, then in Japanese it would be written "EP71" and pronounced イーピーなないち.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 02:01 PM

Yeah, it's kind of hard to "translate" a meaningless string of characters.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the answers. EP71 stands for the motor and model code of the Toyota Starlet 1.3 l back in the eighties. A guy i know (crazy about older Toyotas) asked me, because another "cult car", the corolla AE86 is known as the "hachi roku" in the scene and these guys also like to apply the japanese character as decals on their cars. He would like to have an equivalent for the EP71....

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by euphras
Thanks for the answers. EP71 stands for the motor and model code of the Toyota Starlet 1.3 l back in the eighties. A guy i know (crazy about older Toyotas) asked me, because another "cult car", the corolla AE86 is known as the "hachi roku" in the scene and these guys also like to apply the japanese character as decals on their cars. He would like to have an equivalent for the EP71....
In this case, wataru's first "PS" applies.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by euphras
"Hachi roku" just means "eight six." The equivalent would be "nana ichi" (七一 or 71), but again, "七一" doesn't appear to be used for the Starlet. At least not that I can Google.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Aug 3, 2005 at 02:20 PM. )
Chuck
___

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 02:21 PM

"Hachi roku" just means "eight six." The equivalent would be "nana ichi" (七一 or 71), but again, this doesn't appear to be used for the Starlet...
I know that "hachi roku" just stands for 86. But what do you mean? It´s the code for both motor and chasis type, so "nana ichi" would be the equivalent of HR for the Starlet...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 02:25 PM

The difference being that the corolla is "known as" the hachiroku, while the starlet is NOT known as the nanaichi.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 02:32 PM

And you want to get what exactly as a decal now?

I'm afraid I have to restate: Please don't do this if you're doing it because Japanese is "cool."

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 02:34 PM

The difference being that the corolla is "known as" the hachiroku, while the starlet is NOT known as the nanaichi.
Today! That may differ within a few years

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 02:35 PM

@ wataru: It´s not me, it´s a guy from a german toyota car club

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
And you want to get what exactly as a decal now?

I'm afraid I have to restate: Please don't do this if you're doing it because Japanese is "cool."
It's not his car. It's some other guy who wants to do it. At least he's asking for proper characters, not like some people who get a Chinese (or Kanji) character tatooed on their arm because it "looks cool" and later on find out it means something like "fairy queen" or some such unintended nonsense.

I remember being out with my friends, and one of them was wearing a baseball cap with Chinese characters on it, and my other friend's Taiwanese wife asked him why his cap said "Broken House" on it. He never wore that cap in public ever again.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 3, 2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
It's not his car. It's some other guy who wants to do it. At least he's asking for proper characters, not like some people who get a Chinese (or Kanji) character tatooed on their arm because it "looks cool" and later on find out it means something like "fairy queen" or some such unintended nonsense.
仙女王?

I don't think there is even a Chinese word for 'fairy queen'...

I remember being out with my friends, and one of them was wearing a baseball cap with Chinese characters on it, and my other friend's Taiwanese wife asked him why his cap said "Broken House" on it. He never wore that cap in public ever again.
A while ago, while walking down Strøget (pedestrian zone in central Copenhagen), I saw a woman who was wearing a t-shirt that said, in characters, “I haven't the faintest idea what these characters mean, but I'm insanely cool” (“不晓得此字啥意,只晓得此杉酷极”, in a very odd style of Chinese pseudo-poetry). It was all I could do to keep myself from asking if she was wearing it ironically (making the purpose of the shirt exactly my reaction), or if the text was actually true.

Edit: Argh, damn broken UTF-8!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 03:53 PM

Oh my god, I want that shirt. Maybe I'll just make one myself...
Chuck
___

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 3, 2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Oh my god, I want that shirt. Maybe I'll just make one myself...
Yup, I want one too. Need to get started on making one. (No idea how, though)

Forum Links
Forum Rules