Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car purchase - opinions invited

Car purchase - opinions invited (Page 2)
Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by miserereiam View Post
Two things: If style is that important to you, Kilbey says you are shallow. Also, if style is that important, why not just buy the one you think looks best and forget everything else?
Because there's more to it. We spend a fair amount of time on a farm that's only accessible by a dirt driveway. Especially in winter AWD is a good idea, so is some ground clearance. We frequently transport medium sized items of furniture, so we need decent luggage space. I am a bit of a tree hugger, so gas mileage etc is important to me.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 12:00 AM

says the maqn that had the bad ass land rover

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

miserereiam
Baninated
Dec 4, 2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Because there's more to it. We spend a fair amount of time on a farm that's only accessible by a dirt driveway. Especially in winter AWD is a good idea, so is some ground clearance. We frequently transport medium sized items of furniture, so we need decent luggage space. I am a bit of a tree hugger, so gas mileage etc is important to me.
Dirt driveway= you must have AWD?

I think you need to evaluate your needs, then pick the vehicle that's best suited to them. What is more important? AWD? Or mpg? Because the two are mutually exclusive. AWD, while nice, also means more moving parts, more friction, and more drivetrain losses. In a vehicle with AWD, about 1/3 of it's engine's power is totally lost to the drivetrain's awd system, no matter who makes it. This means you'll get relatively mediocre mpg.

The saturn vue, the base model with the 4 banger, is only fwd, but it can get up to 35mpg when equipped with a manual transmission. That's extremely impressive for an SUV.

Anyway... from everything you've said, I think you should go test drive a Subaru forester... it gets OK mpg, it has lots of ground clearance (more than most SUVs), and it's a very nice vehicle overall. I've put a few thousand miles on one myself. I like it, and it's had zero problems (like most subarus).

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 12:07 AM

Except I don't like the look of them. I know they're great cars, reliable, rugged and safe.
I see the problem with gas mileage and AWD but if you knew the farm you'd agree that AWD is a good idea, especially in winter. I am all for good winter tires and careful driving, but sometimes AWD really helps out there. When I say driveway, read farm track.

Anyway, I am no fan of SUVs for both safety and environmental reasons, so we'll be taking a very close look at the Volvo first.

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
says the maqn that had the bad ass land rover
Yeah, I know. But that wasn't a daily driver. I'd love to have one again.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2006, 12:14 AM

That's another nice looking car. I'll be taking a look at that, thanks!
The Infinity while very lice, is over budget.
Take a look at the Mazda CX-9 too. It's a 3-row version of the CX-7.
Vandelay Industries

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 01:45 AM

Anyway, I am no fan of SUVs for both safety and environmental reasons, so we'll be taking a very close look at the Volvo first.
Right, so if you're worried about environmental stuff, get a Jeep Wrangler (currently the most environmentally friendly vehicle sold in the UK).

And if you're worried about safety, you've been listening to people like Rob for too long.

I just noticed they don't actually do the Audi allroad in Canada. So your next best bet is a Volvo XC90.

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
And if you're worried about safety, you've been listening to people like Rob for too long.
Lets not get into this old argument again. My personal opinion in this matter is that SUVs, and especially frame build SUVs, are dangerous for two reasons: The destroy the other driver's car in an accident because they aren't designed with a crumple zone themselves (pretty antisocial if you ask me) and they have a tendency to kill the driver in a rollover.

But that's just my take on it, I know others disagree. Where did you get your data about the Wrangler from? That does sound interesting.
( Last edited by Mastrap; Dec 4, 2006 at 11:25 AM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 08:22 AM

Where did you get your data about the Wrangler from? That does sound interesting.
Which Magazine localised the following:

Automotive Energy

miserereiam
Baninated
Dec 4, 2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Which Magazine localised the following:

Automotive Energy
Interesting. However.... I've read stuff like this, where it's pretty biased. For example, one woman was explaining that the H2 is better for the environment than the toyota prius, because Toyota said somewhere the Prius could hit 100k without major maintenence.... so this stupid woman took that as the Prius is going to be dead at 100k, but since Hummer did not say that, she just sorta 'ASSUMED' it would hit 300k over it's lifetime.

Yep. A toyota only lasts 100k. And GM products hit 300k. Only from a woman.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 05:34 PM

Yes, I took a look at the Toyota website yesterday. The Matrix is just too small - if I wanted a car of that size I'd get the Audi A3.

We've narrowed the choice down to Volvo V50 or the CX 70. Will be test driving one on the 16th.
The other potential candidate is the BMW X3. I like the BMW a lot, but we'll see which one we enjoy driving.

I have been considering domestic cars, but nothing really grabbed me. The Vibe is a pretty car but I've yet to meet a Pontiac where I liked the finish. It's all a bit plasticky in there.
I'd highly recommend the X3. Owning a BMW is more of an experience (IMHO), than MOST other cars.. just like owning a Mac vs. a Dell or whatever. They do seem pretty competent cars too, as long as they fit your needs I guess.

Do share your thoughts on the test drive.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2006, 05:54 PM

The X3 is just awefull offroad. It's completely useless offroad. I'm not exaggerating by saying "completely".
The looks are questionable as well, but that's just taste.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
The X3 is just awefull offroad. It's completely useless offroad. I'm not exaggerating by saying "completely".
Pretty much every review I've read so far says that it's actually surprisingly good off-road. I am not planning to take it across the Sahara, but it needs to be good enough to navigate snowy farm tracks. From what I've read about it that should not be a problem.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2006, 06:21 PM

Whatever you do, buy a German car.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2006, 07:01 PM

Whatever you do, buy a Japanese car.

Rumor
Dec 4, 2006, 07:28 PM

Buy a Lotus.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2006, 07:32 PM

Whatever you do, buy a car made by a guy named Ivan.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 07:42 PM

Whatever you do, I could care less.

-t

Rumor
Dec 4, 2006, 07:42 PM

Could or couldn't?

Rumor
Dec 4, 2006, 07:43 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Could or couldn't?
I couldn't not.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2006, 10:22 PM

If money is no option, go for the Land Rover LR3.

Forum Links
Forum Rules