Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Can someone with Photoshop help me get layers out of a layer set?

Can someone with Photoshop help me get layers out of a layer set?
alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2008, 10:38 PM

I have Photoshop Elements 6 for Mac, and I have a PSD file that has layer sets. Apparently I can't ungroup these layers - can anyone help here? This is a file from a WordPress Theme. I need to edit it for my site, but I can't get at the layers. This is my first time doing this.

Here's the PSD file (3.0 meg)

Thanks.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 10:45 PM

I just tried with CS3, selected all layers and 'ungroup layers' was present under the Layer menu. Worked fine.

I can save the PSD for you but how would I send the file back?

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2008, 10:53 PM

I wish Photoshop Elements didn't leave this feature out. For those of us who edit about 5 images a year, the full version just isn't worth it. I can justify Elements though (although I dislike version 6).

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2008, 11:40 PM

Now I need to use something called ImageReady to break a large PSD file into separate images. Unfortunately, Photoshop Elements does not have this either. If I e-mail someone the file, can you save it into individual images using ImageReady? Drop me a PM if you can help.

Thanks again!

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 03:54 PM

OUCH! It sounds like you actually *DO* need Photoshop, which comes with all the features you have needed. I'm all for asking for advice and getting someone to help out occasionally. If you need an image slicing program, you may find some available that are reasonable.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8374/sliceanddice

You might even consider getting an older copy of Photoshop for cheap from someone who isn't using theirs. Just be wary of pirated or non-legit sources.

I'm not sure about GIMP, but I have had luck with it opening a layered PSD file. I don't know about its slicing ability, but hey its FREE!

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17629

Good luck with your project.

Forum Links
Forum Rules