Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Technical Question: LED current and voltage drops - LED experts needed!

Technical Question: LED current and voltage drops - LED experts needed!
alligator
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2008, 11:03 PM

I have a circuit that I'm trying to wire up that will have six LEDs powered by one 9 volt battery. I already know the current limiting resistor values if all the LEDs are the same. What happens if I mix two different color LEDs that have different voltage drops and different maximum current ratings?

R1=22 Ohms (LEDs are blue, 3.5 volt drop and 100 mA operating current).
(Thanks to Ledcalc.com.)

I want to replace one of the blue LEDs with a white LED, and the current rating is 140 mA with an unknown voltage drop (View at Digi-Key).

Will my circuit still work? What if it doesn't have a 3.5 volt drop? Can you mix LEDs in a circuit with only one power source?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2008, 11:15 PM

Yes, it'll work. You may end up with non-uniform LED brightness.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2008, 04:51 PM

If the voltage drop across the white LED is something other than 3.5V, then the voltage drop across the current-limiting resistor will change, and therefore so will the current through the series pair of LEDs. If the LED has a higher voltage drop, then the current through the resistor will be reduced and the blue LED in series with the white one will become dimmer. If the LED has a lower voltage drop, the blue one in series will become brighter. No matter what, the current through the white LED will be the same as the current through the blue one it's in series with, so with that schematic, you won't be able to run the white one at full brightness without blowing out a blue one.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2008, 06:39 PM

You won't "blow-out" any LEDs.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2008, 05:08 AM

If you are running significantly more than the maximum rated current through an LED, then you will most certainly damage it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules