Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Naval rank question (Anyone here in/from the Navy?)

Naval rank question (Anyone here in/from the Navy?)
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2010, 03:59 PM

Suppose you're on a boat and ALL officers are killed (or captured, or whatever), and you can't communicate with any command official, and only NCOs are left on the ship; does the highest ranking NCO become captain, and does he or she assume all rights and privileges of being a captain?

Are they required to relinquish command to the first Naval officer that shows up, even without orders?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2010, 04:01 PM

I bet Glenn would know.

What makes you wonder about such a scenario?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I bet Glenn would know.

What makes you wonder about such a scenario?
Had an argument with a friend who said that there are NCOs that outrank 2nd Lieutenants, I told him that a 2nd Lieutenant outranks any NCO, but he would be a moron (and probably punished by his superior officer) for ignoring advice from a veteran soldier and/or ordering him or her around all the time.

I remember reading that during WWII (and only during WWII) there was a special rank for a Sergeant with no contact with an officer that gave them the equivalent rank, privilege, and responsibility of a lieutenant, but that was the only time they ever did that.

In any event, this particular situation would have an NCO outranking an officer, but only if they didn't have to relinquish command to a Naval officer. Also, only if they were still considered an NCO and not assume some sort of field commission of Captain.

I don't know much about military contingency command structure.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 22, 2010, 04:11 PM

I couldn't say for certain, not being a swabbie and all, but I would assume the way you stated it would be the case. The senior NCO would take command and act as Captain until relieved. Even if that NCO was given a battlefield commission, I don't imagine he/she would be left as Captain of a ship.
Nemo me impune lacesset

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2010, 04:14 PM

One has to imagine that if this scenario occurred, the ship is likely not in a condition to be going anywhere anyway!

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 22, 2010, 04:22 PM

If all Admin and Moderators of NN are killed (captured, whatever), does the person with highest post count takeover?

Because, honestly, that'd be frightening.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
If all Admin and Moderators of NN are killed (captured, whatever), does the person with highest post count takeover?

Are you planning a mutiny?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 22, 2010, 04:29 PM

No, I'd never get to power. Assuming I have posted the most (doubtful) I'd be knocked off the technicality that they weren't all on the same account.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 22, 2010, 05:36 PM

I believe the official policy in such a situation is that control be decided Highlander-style. Get your swords sharpened, there can be only one.
Nemo me impune lacesset

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
I believe the official policy in such a situation is that control be decided Highlander-style. Get your swords sharpened, there can be only one.
I think we all know who would win in that event. Well, did his mom ever let him get the sword?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2010, 06:34 PM

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2010, 07:26 PM

Actually, I think after he got the sword the only remaining mystery was whether he ever figured out how to properly clean it. Who knows what it looks like now! The advantage then might go to an expert sword caretaker, as opposed to an expert destroyer of Mac clones.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 22, 2010, 09:35 PM

The "captain" of a vessel is its commander, whether that person is a commissioned officer or not. Thus the highest ranking Petty Officer (the Navy calls the senior enlisted petty officers rather than Non Commissioned Officers) would be the "captain" of the vessel. This is a touchy subject; In part because some officers are threatened by people who are more experienced and better learned (and often much smarter) than they are, and in part because you'd better be darn sure you ARE the highest ranking person before claiming captaincy.

Practically, the highest ranking person who can do anything takes "acting" command and ensures the survival of the ship before all else in such a disaster. Once everything is less critical, the smart step would be to do a full search of the ship and account for everyone. This tends to locate people who were trapped in compartments that had no communication, etc., and thus potentially find higher ranking people than the one who got the ship out of harm's way.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2010, 12:29 PM

Thank's ghporter.

Rumor
Mar 23, 2010, 12:41 PM

E-1 Seaman Recruit (SR)
E-2 Seaman Apprentice (SA)
E-3 Seaman (SN)
E-4 Petty Officer Third Class (PO3)
E-5 Petty Officer Second Class (PO2)
E-6 Petty Officer First Class (PO1)
E-7 Chief Petty Officer (CPO)
E-8 Senior Chief Petty Officer (SCPO)
E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer (MCPO)
E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON)

W-1 Warrant Officer 1 (WO)
W-2 Warrant Officer 2 (CWO2)
W-3 Warrant Officer 3 (CWO3)
W-4 Warrant Officer 4 (CWO4)
W-5 Master Warrant Officer (CWO5)

O-1 Ensign (ENS)
O-2 Lieutenant, Junior Grade (LTJG)
O-3 Lieutenant (LT)
O-4 Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)
O-5 Commander (CDR)
O-6 Captain (CAPT)
O-7 Rear Admiral (Lower Half) RADM (LH)
O-8 Rear Admiral (Upper Half) RADM (UH)
O-9 Vice Admiral (VADM)
O-10 Chief of Naval Operations /Commandant of the Coast Guard (ADM)
O-10 Admiral (ADM)
Fleet Admiral (Wartime only)

Assuming all the O ranks are dead, command would go to a Warrant Officer. If they are not present, it would go to the highest ranked Enlisted. Say there are to E-7's on board, then I am not sure what would happen. Perhaps Thunderdome?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Cold Warrior
Mar 23, 2010, 07:04 PM

If the rank is the same, one uses the date of rank (when the person was promoted to that rank). The person holding the rank the longest is in charge in your scenario.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 23, 2010, 07:17 PM

What if the two people happen to be conjoined twins that were promoted on the same day?

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2010, 07:41 PM

What if the two people happen to be conjoined twins that were promoted on the same day?
Then they're both in command and make decisions by flipping a coin.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2010, 04:35 AM

I'm Army. I gotta say, this "situation" would be unusual, even for us. Regardless, while Senior NCOs are expected to respect junior officers, they're rarely commanded by them. For instance, if I were a platoon Sergeant, my superiors would be a Warrant Officer and a Captain. There's just no place for a 2Lt, unless his only job was admin assistant to the captain. Given this situation, the death of the platoon's captain would lead to the warrant assuming command, not some 2Lt becoming commander.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2010, 05:29 AM

Thunderdome.

(A set of conjoined twins flopping around on stage at a Tina Turner concert)

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 24, 2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
If the rank is the same, one uses the date of rank (when the person was promoted to that rank). The person holding the rank the longest is in charge in your scenario.
It can come down to the individuals' birth dates after that.

finboy
Mar 24, 2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It can come down to the individuals' birth dates after that.
It absolutely can. Had a pop quiz one day in ROTC about that since we'd all been sworn in on the same date (didn't have commissions yet). I never knew if the Cpt was joshing us or not, but he'd been a senior NCO for so long (before HIS commission) that he had a truly refined gift for sarcasm.

Cold Warrior
Mar 24, 2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I'm Army. I gotta say, this "situation" would be unusual, even for us. Regardless, while Senior NCOs are expected to respect junior officers, they're rarely commanded by them. For instance, if I were a platoon Sergeant, my superiors would be a Warrant Officer and a Captain. There's just no place for a 2Lt, unless his only job was admin assistant to the captain. Given this situation, the death of the platoon's captain would lead to the warrant assuming command, not some 2Lt becoming commander.
That may be the expectation in the Canadian army, but not the US Army. Officers are expected to lead and command, even as a 2LT, and that 2LT as PLT LDR is most certainly in charge of his PSG. Any other structure in practice is an abdication of everyone's duties as NCOs and COs. Again, US Army, and PLTs are usually led by a LT (1/2LT) while companies are led by CPT. But a PLT led by an NCO or WO would likely not take orders from a 2LT in another platoon unless that 2LT were acting as company XO.

finboy
Mar 24, 2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
That may be the expectation in the Canadian army, but not the US Army. Officers are expected to lead and command, even as a 2LT, and that 2LT as PLT LDR is most certainly in charge of his PSG. Any other structure in practice is an abdication of everyone's duties as NCOs and COs. Again, US Army, and PLTs are usually led by a LT (1/2LT) while companies are led by CPT. But a PLT led by an NCO or WO would likely not take orders from a 2LT in another platoon unless that 2LT were acting as company XO.
I think different organizations use the warrant classes differently. I always thought the WO desigination was for technical types (or pilots) not for folks in chain of command (unless commanding a ground crew or something).

In any case, the interesting question is, after 33 days in a lifeboat, who we should eat first.

"How long is it?"

"That's a rather personal question, sir."

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 24, 2010, 11:02 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrant...(United_States)

I never realized the Air Force didn't utilize Warrant ranks. I also didn't know the Coasties would let a Warrant Officer hold a command. Learn something new every day!
Nemo me impune lacesset

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 25, 2010, 07:14 AM

The Air Force retired their last WO about 35 years ago. For some reason they felt they could do without Warrants while the other services feel they're essential. The duties of WOs were divided between Senior NCOs and junior commissioned officers. I would say that the success of this was a mixed bag-few SNCOs are generalist enough to be good stand ins for Warrant Officers, and few junior officers are experienced enough to be good officers, let alone specialized, technical officers.

The first time I had WOs show up for a class I was teaching, I thought they were civilians; they were listed as "Mr. Smith" and "Mr. Jones." They were very good about educating me (I was an E4 Senior Airman at the time) without condescension or sarcasm. I like Warrants a lot because of this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules