Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OpenOffice.org very impressive

OpenOffice.org very impressive
Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2004, 04:27 PM

On a whim, I downloaded the latest OpenOffice.org release for OSX.

I'm very impressed. Someone could actually use this day in and day out for regular work. It's quite nice. Microsoft may actually have a competitor in this product.

With the new rules here on posting images, I'll refrain from doing so. If you'd like to see some screenshots of their word processor and spreadsheet opening some complex Word documents I have, and some Excel files, look here:

http://david.theresistance.net/ooo_pics/

Pretty awesome for a free product.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2004, 04:32 PM

Yeah, I was impressed by this as well...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2004, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Yeah, I was impressed by this as well...

I've said it in the past, and I'll say it again...

Why doesn't Apple, IBM, Sun and everyone anti-Microsoft get behind this project. Yah, it's not going to give them any money short term, but it gives more people the option to switch to Mac/Linux... and I think that's a good thing.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2004, 07:41 PM

Are you talking about OO.o 1.1.1? If not, I suggest NeoOffice/J instead.

I haven't had time to try 1.1.1. I don't want to go back to X11, though!

Fothb
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2004, 07:44 PM

Are those e-mail addresses and phone numbers in the spreadsheet real? If so, you might want to block them out, or replace that screenshot with one that doesn't have such private data...

-Q-
Mar 30, 2004, 07:54 PM

Who should I write on that list to get a job at cingular?

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2004, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Are you talking about OO.o 1.1.1? If not, I suggest NeoOffice/J instead.

I haven't had time to try 1.1.1. I don't want to go back to X11, though!
The screenshots they posted are of 1.0.3 so, yes, they should try out NeoOffice/J instead. Apparently the OS X version of OOo 1.1.1 should be out "soon". I hope Patrick can update NO/J to be based upon it as well.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2004, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
The screenshots they posted are of 1.0.3 so, yes, they should try out NeoOffice/J instead. Apparently the OS X version of OOo 1.1.1 should be out "soon". I hope Patrick can update NO/J to be based upon it as well.
While these programs are great to have, I think the GUI alone would cause most mac users not to use them.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
I hope Patrick can update NO/J to be based upon it as well.
There's a good thread about that over at the trinity board. In short: it would take a lot of work to move to 1.1.1, so it doesn't look good for the short term

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Fothb:
Are those e-mail addresses and phone numbers in the spreadsheet real? If so, you might want to block them out, or replace that screenshot with one that doesn't have such private data...
Nah, they're public information from the phone book. Nothing private there.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

ghotirking
Mar 31, 2004, 04:51 PM

I really hope that 1.1.1 for Mac is released soon; being more than a full point release behind everybody else's version is not a great 'selling' point when trying to bring in potential users (As far as linux and windohs users go, switching to OO.org an 'easy sell' for me).
Before somebody chimes in with a "why don't you contribute" stab, I can't program...

Fothb
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2004, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by ghotirking:
Before somebody chimes in with a "why don't you contribute" stab, I can't program...
Open source projects can be contributed to by other means besides code. Word of mouth, feature requests, bug submissions, and of course financial donations...

Contribute to OpenOffice.org

I'm not directing this towards ghotirking at all (he probably already knows this) but to anyone who feels helpless when it comes to pitching in on open source projects.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 07:30 PM

We were just discussing this matter in another thread a few weeks ago... NeoOffice/J is an awesome solution. I have NeoOffice in my dock right now, and I used it to type up, format, and print (through native Mac OS X print dialogs) a few essays for classes last week.

Another interesting open source project is AbiWord 2.11 for Mac OS X, though it's only a Word processor. Great things come from Opensource projects. I contribute most by spreading the word. Check out AbiWord's progress here:

http://www.abisource.com/download/development.phtml

"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2004, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
There's a good thread about that over at the trinity board. In short: it would take a lot of work to move to 1.1.1, so it doesn't look good for the short term
I just took a look as I hadn't seen that thread - it's in the Developer section which I don't tend to read... yup, a shame it is going to be so much work, but I hope it does happen even if it takes a while.

Forum Links
Forum Rules