Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Scientology: Tom Cruise is the Messiah

Scientology: Tom Cruise is the Messiah
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2007, 09:16 PM

Apparently, high-ups in Scientology are now telling Tom Cruise that he's the Messiah.

This board is always so full of controversy, flamewars, and general strife. Just take a moment here and relax, with a topic that I think we can all agree on. Namely, WTF?!
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 09:31 PM

Infidels

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 10:46 PM

Scientology is THE weirdest cult on the planet, hands down.

Mormonism was started by a guy who thought that some angel named (amusingly enough) Moroni was giving him his version of "the holy word" on gold plates.

Jehovah's Witnesses were started by a guy who rejected Christianity as it stood and wanted to rewrite it in a way that made sense to him.

Christian Science was started by a woman who wanted to rewrite Christianity in a way that made sense to her.

Scientology was started by a science fiction author who once told Reader's Digest, in an interview, that the easiest way to make a million dollars was to start your own religion.

You tell me which is the most credible...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2007, 11:07 PM

I used to live beside a Church of Scientology, so I used to get their pamphlets in my mailbox all the time. It was downright scary how they specifically prey on those with psychiatric disorders.

BTW, I saw people trying out that strange meter thing for like 8 years as I walked by their church, but never got around to trying it myself.

Oh the big regrets in life...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 11:30 PM

Islam was started by a neurotic, opium using chap out in the desert with a vague understanding of the Judeo-Christian tradition, who decided to kill anyone who disagreed with his heresy.

(Yes vW I'm dangling that bait nice and low )

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I used to live beside a Church of Scientology, so I used to get their pamphlets in my mailbox all the time. It was downright scary how they specifically prey on those with psychiatric disorders.
For this reason alone, the Co$ needs to have their "official religion" status ripped from them. Exploiting the sick? We need to sic the FDA and FTC on these guys, pronto.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 30, 2007, 03:59 PM

They are like the mob lpk. They have big pockets and lots of people on their payroll.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Islam was started by a neurotic, opium using chap out in the desert with a vague understanding of the Judeo-Christian tradition, who decided to kill anyone who disagreed with his heresy.

(Yes vW I'm dangling that bait nice and low )
... stay on target ... stay on target ...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
... stay on target ... stay on target ...
Having trouble keeping it between the crosshairs? What a surprise

(C'mon, this thread has to descend into some sort of religious bickering, that's the Unofficial Rule #1 of this forum)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2007, 07:15 PM

Damn hippy Jesus.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 07:28 PM

The funny thing is that I bet most people back then felt the same way about Jesus that we do about Tom Cruise (ie, a crazy self-aggrandizing heretic who wasn't hot but still had rugged good looks).

DBGFRGL

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2007, 08:29 PM

I love the phrasing of this:

If you believe reports, the deeply sane Mission Impossible star has been told by church bigwigs that he is the "chosen one", and destined to spread the word of Scientology around the world.
Say what you will about the Brits and the media, but British reporters can really write.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 08:54 PM

I quite liked this line:

"According to an unnamed source in the Sun (which is pretty much the same thing as according to a magic pixie)..."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2007, 12:41 PM

For this reason alone, the Co$ needs to have their "official religion" status ripped from them. Exploiting the sick? We need to sic the FDA and FTC on these guys, pronto.
What is Co$?

And why would the FDA have anything to do with it?

As for the FTC, Wikipedia sez:

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2007, 12:51 PM

What is Co$?
Church of $cientology

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 12:29 AM

And why would the FDA have anything to do with it?
The Co$ markets the use of the "e-meter" for use in therapy, making unsubstantiated claims about its accuracy. You can't market a product with fraudulent claims. E-meter claims.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 12:54 AM

hah!

Rumor
Feb 1, 2007, 05:29 AM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Naplander
Senior User
Feb 1, 2007, 07:17 AM

Brilliant
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Mormonism was started by a guy who thought that some angel named (amusingly enough) Moroni was giving him his version of "the holy word" on gold plates.

Wait... so Mormonism is weird but Christianity isn't?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2007, 11:38 AM

There shouldn't be an "official religion" status in the first place. Religious organizations that are not non-proft charities should be paying the same taxes as everyone else.

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
There shouldn't be an "official religion" status in the first place. Religious organizations that are not non-proft charities should be paying the same taxes as everyone else.
Tying religion and the state together through these kinds of monetary transactions is not the solution. I don't claim to know what the solution is, but thousands of years of history have surely shown us that there must be as little interaction between these two entities as possible.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2007, 04:17 PM

Well, we could always take a page from Massachusetts' book: M.G.L. - Chapter 272, Section 36

Whoever wilfully blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, his creation, government or final judging of the world, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching or exposing to contempt and ridicule, the holy word of God contained in the holy scriptures shall be punished by imprisonment in jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars, and may also be bound to good behavior.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2007, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Scientology is THE weirdest cult on the planet, hands down.

Jehovah's Witnesses were started by a guy who rejected Christianity as it stood and wanted to rewrite it in a way that made sense to him.

Christian Science was started by a woman who wanted to rewrite Christianity in a way that made sense to her.

Scientology was started by a science fiction author who once told Reader's Digest, in an interview, that the easiest way to make a million dollars was to start your own religion.

None of them obviously. Throw in the "design-by-committee" origins of Christianity among them as well. And the spoilt prince of Buddhism, the family-induced deluded merchant of Islam, etc. etc. It all boils down to interpretations of earlier religious concepts really. Monotheism even started just because some groups of people favoured certain gods and rejected the others. And as the famous saying goes - atheism just goes one god further.

Kudos to L. Ron for coming up with something completely new and radical for people to believe in. I admire his chutspa.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
The funny thing is that I bet most people back then felt the same way about Jesus that we do about Tom Cruise (ie, a crazy self-aggrandizing heretic who wasn't hot but still had rugged good looks).

DBGFRGL
Yup, the Bible even claims that there would be people showing up pretending to be Jesus like and being seen as such.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 11:59 AM

I did a Highschool project on Scientology where I proved it was a cult. They caged a man and basically chinese water tortured him because he wanted to leave the religion, they also took his wife and kid(s) away from him.... They are scary.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2007, 06:30 PM

Oh yes. Scary as hell.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules