Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Wireless IP cameras - anybody have any experience?

Wireless IP cameras - anybody have any experience?
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2007, 05:06 PM

Does anybody have any experience with wireless IP cameras? We have a stable DSL connection at our summer cabin and I would like to have a camera running, both to check the weather and as a security device. My first thought was to keep an old G4 running, hook a camera up to it and use some sort of webcam software to upload images to a server. But I feel bad about letting an appliance run 24/7 for what is in essence a toy.

I had a look around for wireless IP cameras and they're available on ebay for about $120 but I have no idea how well they work and if they need to be set up by a PC.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 11:48 AM

Now I'm interested too.

Here is the most complete thread we have had on the subject so far. And here's a Macworld article someone found on a Mac compatible camera, the Axis 207 (which looks pretty nice).

This article looks promising too: Turn your Mac into a security camera. It highlights Ben Bird's SecuritySpy, which looks like the must have software in this market.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Sep 12, 2007 at 01:15 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

StarCross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2007, 05:06 PM

I have used an Airlink AIC250 and its somewhat sister-clone the D-Link DCS-G900 Wireless G Internet Camera with good results so far.

The thing one must watch out for is any camera that requires Active X, as in Internet Explorer, to view video remotely. I have yet to thoroughly try out those kind of camera systems, particularly on the Mac side. The best bet would be is to buy a camera that is viewable through Java-compatible web browser for cross-platform compatibility.

Forum Links
Forum Rules