Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My MacBook Pro is Full

My MacBook Pro is Full
alligator
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2007, 07:46 PM

I can't believe I filled my MacBook Pro's 150 GB drive already. I have about 50 GB of music and movies, and the rest are documents and photos. I can't continue to add files because I've run out of space.

What do people recommend? Should I buy a new drive and swap it out myself, or should I buy a second external drive?

I have a 500 GB external drive, but the whole stupid thing is being used by Time Machine. Should I repartition it and use some of the space?

If I move files off my main drive, what files do people typically remove? I can't move music or movies or I lose my entertainment. I could move an iPhoto library, but I also use this on the road. Any suggestions?

Cold Warrior
Dec 9, 2007, 07:51 PM

if you have the money, spring for a new internal, as big as they make 'em.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2007, 07:53 PM

I have a 500 GB external drive, but the whole stupid thing is being used by Time Machine. Should I repartition it and use some of the space?
.... thats what ive had to do!!! But then you have the dilemma of what to move and what to keep!

If you cant do without any of your files then its gonna have to be a bigger disk
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 9, 2007, 09:50 PM

It depends on how many of those files you access on a regular basis. If you access most of those files on your internal hard drive regularly then I would go for a larger internal hard drive. For me I have a lot files that are more for storage than regular access so those files are moved to an external hard drive and I can access them quickly and easily when I need to.

Also if I need the faster performance of an internal hard drive to edit those files then I just transfer the files over temporarily and then when I'm done I transfer them back over to the external. It's not really a big deal because I don't do it that often. If you do then a bigger internal hard drive is the way to go. Just be honest with yourself because do you really need access to all of those files regularly or is it just a lazy luxury to leave them all in your internal hard drive?

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2007, 09:52 PM

movie files are really big, can't you stick those on something external? Or on DVDs?
Hope you figure it out.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2007, 11:32 PM

I keep my iPhoto album on my 80GB iPod. I have a small iPhoto album
on the MBP and switch when I need the large directory. I also have photos backed up on DVD
and another external drive just in case.

I find this works well ...cause I always carry my ipod when I am out of town.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2007, 10:24 AM

I travel quite a bit, and I'd hate to leave some important file at home - and I don't want the weight of an extra drive to have to take with me. I'm not sure there is a good solution for my needs.

Fusion
Senior User
Dec 10, 2007, 06:10 PM

Just get a larger internal. WD has a really nice 320gb that's one of the quietest drives ever made. Its out of stock almost everywhere but should be back in soon.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
I can't believe I filled my MacBook Pro's 150 GB drive already. I have about 50 GB of music and movies, and the rest are documents and photos. I can't continue to add files because I've run out of space.

What do people recommend? Should I buy a new drive and swap it out myself, or should I buy a second external drive?

If I move files off my main drive, what files do people typically remove? I can't move music or movies or I lose my entertainment. I could move an iPhoto library, but I also use this on the road. Any suggestions?

If your MBP has a 150 gb drive and your external is 500 gb, why do you need to devote all of the space on this drive to Time Machine?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2007, 04:34 PM

I'm in the same situation, my internal drive is all but filled up.

I'm now looking at an external drive solution. My Aperture/music and various other files are growing beyond what my internal drive can accomodate.

I'm leaning towards NewTech guardian maximus because it gives me hardware RAID-1 and having the drives mirrored increases the security of the data (I know it doesn't replace backups). Its a little pricey though and I've not pulled the trigger.

jogi
Dec 12, 2007, 03:52 PM

I got a portable firewire external, 250gb, so ended up with about 370 in total... The portable external is so small (2.5 inch) and lightweight that you wont even realise you cary it with you. You can create a couple of folders like - Music, Photos, Unused Documents - and link them to a folder in your main disk (like a shortcut).

Also a firewire 2.5 inch drive does not require a separate power supply ;-)

That way, they will appear and be used by applications as a local disk folder ;-)

PS. Time machine can back up the portable drive as well in your large, 500gb drive.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 13, 2007, 06:21 PM

I travel quite a bit, and I'd hate to leave some important file at home - and I don't want the weight of an extra drive to have to take with me. I'm not sure there is a good solution for my needs.
To me it sounds like your only good solution would be to get a larger internal hard drive. That's what I would do in your situation. Hope it all works out for you.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2007, 11:07 PM

I have acquired a (free) external 80 GB drive. I'll move some of my home videos to that drive for the time being.

I may upgrade, but I'm going to hold off until Apple announces a solid-state machine at the Macworld expo. Then I'll have to upgrade, buy a large capacity external portable drive, and use my 500 GB desktop drive for Time Machine. I like having this much extra space for Time Machine since many of my files are critical and a loss would be a disaster.

Thanks for the suggestions.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
'm now looking at an external drive solution. My Aperture/music and various other files are growing beyond what my internal drive can accomodate.

I'm leaning towards NewTech guardian maximus because it gives me hardware RAID-1 and having the drives mirrored increases the security of the data (I know it doesn't replace backups). Its a little pricey though and I've not pulled the trigger.
RAID 1 probably does not make sense for an external backup, because in the RAID 1 box you are simply backing up your backup in real time all in one box. The $$ and performance penalties of RAID 1 are probably inappropriate for external Aperture/music type files. Better would be a RAID 0 for performance and a large inexpensive single drive for Time Machine and Aperture Vault. You did say off site backup is separately handled.

RAID 1's benefit is for real time enterprise-critical activities like banking transactions. For something like Aperture obviously master originals need off site backup before the Aperture workflow starts. After that it is all about fast i/o and automated routine backup of the work versions (e.g. hourly) to any separate drive, best probably as Aperture Vault. Real time mirrored backup would have little cost/benefit value.

-Allen Wicks

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2007, 04:57 PM

I think you misunderstood me.

I was looking at a RAID-1 setup to increase the security of my data, not as a backup.

I'm going to need to use an external drive to hold my data as opposed to keeping it on the internal drive. That being the case I'm looking to determine if going a RAID-1 solution is worth it. If the drive fails I'll have a second drive and not lose anything. the cost of an external RAID-1 setup is 399, (for a mirrored 500gig set of drives). Since I'm unable to house my aperture library internally, I'd like to increase my peace of mind. Is it worth the extra cost, I'm still working that out as we speak.

As for the performance penalty it would be minor as I'd go with a hardware solution instead of a software RAID-1 setup.

Regardless if I go that way I'll still be backing up my data and keeping a copy of that offsite.

RAID--0 is too dangerous for me and my data. There's no way I'm willing to risk corrupting my aperture library in the name of speed bump.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2007, 04:50 PM

I have acquired a (free) external 80 GB drive. I'll move some of my home videos to that drive for the time being.

I may upgrade, but I'm going to hold off until Apple announces a solid-state machine at the Macworld expo. Then I'll have to upgrade, buy a large capacity external portable drive, and use my 500 GB desktop drive for Time Machine. I like having this much extra space for Time Machine since many of my files are critical and a loss would be a disaster.

Thanks for the suggestions.
As I'm sure you're aware, a solid state drive will just exacerbate your problem, since 32GB, 48GB and 64GB are the only cost-effective sizes currently available. I believe 128GB versions are available, but at nearly $1000, its going to make for an expensive laptop with no more space than you have now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules