Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook order status thread

iBook order status thread (Page 2)
RoofusPennymore  (op)
Senior User
May 15, 2001, 03:32 PM

I had a message on my machine saying I need to call Apple and confirm my order. I did and now it's "being assembled". Now we are getting somewhere.

They still said end of the month for shipment.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

Skaught24
May 15, 2001, 06:18 PM

Ordered from Mac Zone on May 15th.

Free shipping, free 128mb RAM

CD-ROM model
Total Cost: $1294
"10 percent of computer users are Mac users, but remember,
we are the top 10 percent." - Douglas Adams 1952-2001

VitalMax
May 15, 2001, 06:42 PM

Well I just got off the phone from apple. Here is the latest. The official quote from Apple is that all iBooks are being assembled and shipped from the same place. Meaning that even my combo drive should be coming from taiwan. What that means is that the theory of waiting till the bulk shipment got to the states wasnt the case. So now I am just bummed that I am waiting soooo long I had an order in on the 1st and my combo drive 192 Mb of ram is still not even close to shipping. I think I feel tears coming on. So I am curious has anyone gotten a combo drive model yet

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2001, 07:33 PM

Well, my order for the stock DVD iBook has moved off from Taiwan, and is now somewhere in Amsterdam. It is also "On Hold", whatever that means.

AJ

rtmoose28
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2001, 08:34 PM

Frys electronics in Houston has CD-ROM and DVD models instock! Has anyone seen a CD-RW or Combo yet?

RT Moose

"Where's my Combo"

Ambria
May 15, 2001, 09:26 PM

I ordered my ibook./dvd from outpost today (free shipping, extra 128 megs). They said that they were expecting a shipment next week. blah. I called them yesterday (to feel out availability) and they said there were 85 dvd models on backorder. i hope they got in more than 5 today! Apple is going to have to get them out to these major outlets or else it will be next year before they are all filled!

Also, I called Small Dog this morning since someone said they were getting a bunch in today and they have no dvd models ... their estimate was the 25th at the earliest.

------------------
- Ambria
- Ambria

freebird
May 15, 2001, 09:42 PM

Funny, I called outpost today to find out what they knew (I ordered the DVD model on May 2). I was told that they were getting 1 ibook in tomorrow (that's right, 1), 175 ibooks were on backorder, and they don't expect a large shipment (100 ibooks) until the 25th or 28th.

We'll get them when we get them.

RoofusPennymore  (op)
Senior User
May 15, 2001, 10:46 PM

Fry's Electronics in San Jose, CA has one on display. I didn't ask if they had any for sale.

Skaar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2001, 11:31 PM

I ordered my iBook DVD from Diversified Computers on 5-11 and it shipped today. I had it shipped UPS 2DAY wich ran $22. They seem to be able to get them.
http://www.diversifiedcomputers.net/
iMac Core Dou 17" 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM + 20" Dell Widescreen Display
15" PowerBook 1.3GHz

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2001, 05:55 AM

I placed my order on the Apple store on May 3rd.

Today, May 16th, the Apple store shows that my order is "partially shipped". I got a detail, and it looks like the extra battery I ordered is now on its way from Taoyuan City, TW.

Man, I hope this means the iBook will be following behind it soon. =)

DDJ

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 16, 2001, 08:37 AM

I ordered my DVD model from ClubMac on May 14. Took the instant rebate (final price $1,450) rather than the 128MB upgrade because I have a 256MB stick that will fit, and got $29 back through ebates.

$78 off Apple Store retail and no tax sounded pretty good to me. It eased the pain of missing the 20GB drive.

Had to call them yesterday because my shipping address and billing address don't match, and asked when they might be shipping. End of the month. But I'm still hoping it will come earlier.

------------------
"I'm an award-winning
creative, the rules of society
no longer apply to me."
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

Duoboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2001, 02:22 PM

I ordered my chiclet with a 20MB drive, 256K, and the combo drive on 2 May. I'm still "being assembled". I don't think they've shipped any custom orders yet.

drag. :|

------------------
kev spengel
purple monkey studios
oak park, IL
Kevin Spengel
Wheaton, IL

prodigy1387
May 16, 2001, 02:25 PM

I ordered my iBook yesterday, the 15th from Macmall...the DVD/256MB model. They plan for it to ship by next week or the "beginning of May." I hope their right so I can get mine ASAP cause I can hardly stand the wait!

VitalMax
May 16, 2001, 02:32 PM

Can you believe they would tease me like this.

IBOOK F/G BATTERY KIT
M8433G/A
$ 129.00
No items shipped.
APPLE PRO MOUSE-ZML
M7697ZM/A
$ 59.00

APPLE PRO MOUSE-ZML; 1 shipped on 05/08/2001
Shipped via: FED EX GROUND

APPLE AV CABLE-GEN
M8434G/A
$ 19.00
No items shipped.

VST USB LOW PROFILE FLOPPY DRIVE-USA
T2247LL/B
$ 79.00
VST USB LOW PROFILE FLOPPY DRIVE-USA; 1 shipped on 05/08/2001
Shipped via: FED EX GROUND
Tracking Number:
IBOOK 500/WHT/192/20G/DVD-CDRW/AP-LL
Z03K00T0Q
$ 2,198.00
White
065-2473
192MB SDRAM
065-2819
20GB Ultra ATA drive
065-2862
DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo
065-2688
AirPort Card
065-2472
No items shipped.

They partially ship stuff too me and then its been on hold ever since.....
I am ready to CRY

I want my iBook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dagmar
Forum Regular
May 16, 2001, 04:26 PM

Received my ibook/10gig/dvd today; ordered it on May 9 from smalldog.com: free 128 meg ram upgrade, free shipping, and no sales tax (they are in Vermont). However, due to constraints on internet ordering imposed by apple, I think you have to have ordered from them before they started selling new computers online (about 9 months ago or a bit better), or you have to go to their retail location in Waitsfield, VT. I've been a customer of theirs for several years, and have always been very pleased with their service. I'm also thrilled with the ibook, although I haven't really had a chance yet to set everything up and transfer my airport card. The screen is truely fantastic, and dvd movies look terrific (and my vision is definitely not 20/20). Also, when the ibook is on a flat surface, the lip of the cd tray rests on that surface when the tray is out giving it support, like on the original ibook, so it's not that flimsy at all. I'm guessing that they wait for the rest of you will not be too much longer

dawnview
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2001, 04:43 PM

I called Outpost again today, confirming the report that their computer said 1 iBook was coming in today. The rep I spoke with also said that the fact that they had no firm date as to when more units would arrive means that it will be "a week or two" before they could fill backorders in any quantity (backorders currently stand at 165 units).

I cancelled my order since I am leaving town Friday and really need it before I leave. I will wait till I hit a major metro area on my trip and find one at a retailer.

I am very disappointed with Outpost, I will not be placing this kind of order with them again.

sjake1
May 16, 2001, 05:33 PM

I ordered my ibook DVD from the apple store, but cancelled the order when I called Westwind Computing here in Seattle. They had one DVD ibook, I put it on hold, and it is now charging on my desk here at work.

It is fast, the screen looks great, it integrated into my Airport network in seconds, and best of all--it's a truly portable computer.

hotani
Senior User
May 16, 2001, 05:51 PM

ordered 5/12 see sig for current status...

New accessories with no iBook to hook up to:
- optical scroll wheel mouse
- 256 MB RAM chip
- SmartMedia card reader (will be here before the iBook)

------------------
iBook (dual USB) DVD 384 (awaiting shipment)

Darwin 1.3/OS X 10.0.1/OS 9.1
download free hotani web template
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Stebahan
May 16, 2001, 05:57 PM

I think I am going to ask for money from Small Dog, at the very least they should give me more of those little plastic dogs that I like to make soup from. Check this thread : http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru.../001207.html#8

Last time!!! Small Dog is an Apple Authorized Dealer.

May 16, 2001, 06:01 PM

I just had my iBook ordered 5.16.01 at 11:35 am from MacMall. CD-RW, 256 RAM, 10 Gigabyte HD, and everything else. Recently, I had owned an iBook SE 466mhz (graphite) and someone ended up stealing it from my school. Ever since the frist I had wanted to get the new iBook and though about how I could afford to get it. Soon enough, I find out that my home-owner's insurance covers it, so I get to have MiBook after all. Hopefully, it will arrive here soon. Also, what does BTO stand for?

Stebahan
May 16, 2001, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by �:
I just had my iBook ordered 5.16.01 at 11:35 am from MacMall. CD-RW, 256 RAM, 10 Gigabyte HD, and everything else. Recently, I had owned an iBook SE 466mhz (graphite) and someone ended up stealing it from my school. Ever since the frist I had wanted to get the new iBook and though about how I could afford to get it. Soon enough, I find out that my home-owner's insurance covers it, so I get to have MiBook after all. Hopefully, it will arrive here soon. Also, what does BTO stand for?
Wow. Like seeing a person on the expressway with a flat tire, I couldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Sorry to hear that but it is good that you are covered. You might also want to check with your insurance company to get an inland marine policy. What it does is insure yourself against yourself. If you drop it or leave in your pants pocket and accidentally throw your pants in the washer, it will be covered. I refer to it as my "stupidity" policy. I pay about $150.00 for $10K coverage for a year.

And, BTO is built to order.

Jug-dish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2001, 08:15 PM

I ordered an IBOOK 500/128/20G/DVD BTO on 5/1 (about 2 hours after going on sale). It's still listed as "partially shipped" (I also ordered some software).

prodigy1387
May 16, 2001, 08:22 PM

I ordered an iBook 500/256/DVD/10GB from MacMall and its listed as "backordered." I called to find out whats going on and they said I have a "preorder" and that when the first shipment of stock comes in my iBook will be shipped...they expected my wait to be until the end of this month but they aren't sure. errrr, i hate waiting for my iBook, i want it to be in my hands already!

Ambria
May 16, 2001, 09:09 PM

>>I am very disappointed with Outpost, I will not be placing this kind of order with them again.<<

I don't think it's fair to blame Outpost or any other retailer (especially the large online ones) if books havn't shipped yet. As would be expected, local apple retailers (other than large corporations like compusa) are getting them first , and in fairly small quantities... as are people who ordered basic units directly from Apple. When Apple made the announcement they *did* say there was a 3-5 week shipping time. If Apple doesn't ship large numbers, the big providers (mac mall, outpost, warehouse) aren't going to be able to fill the backorders.

I've ordered several things from Outpost, including my hubby's G4, and have always had excellent service. Their normal shipping prices are the best around and Airborne Express is excellent.

What I am frusterated about is that Apple announced so early. I wish they had waited until they were ready to ship so I wouldn't have to think about it so much!

------------------
- Ambria
- Ambria

tsubasako
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2001, 09:13 PM

i was asking the tech guy at CompUSA of all places for motherboard jumpers, and somehow found out there was an Apple store like 15 minutes from where i work (ann arbor, mi). woohoo!!! so, I called there, and they are getting daily iBook shipments, it seems. the guy said that the next few were spoken for but I could probably grab one really soon. so I said "you just have the cd's and dvd's, right?" and he says "no, we have them all." and i said "um, nobody else has them... even people who ordered on the 1st," and he said "well, we do" and i said "even the combo drives?" and he says "wait.. no, not the combo drives." and i said "but you say you have cd-rw's?" and he says "yeah! we've already had some in and out already" and i was like "REALLY?!" and he says "hold on let me check" and comes back in a minute and is like "no, we only have cd's and dvd's."

rrraaarrrggghh! tsubasa is angry!

but i am going over there tomorrow. i want to have a plan b in case my cd-rw doesn't come in time (by may 29th). plan b would probably involve buying a cd model, some memory, and a seperate cd-rw drive.

RoofusPennymore  (op)
Senior User
May 16, 2001, 10:19 PM

Well guys, I didn't wait and bought one at Frys Electronics. They had one DVD model left. Gotta go play!

u2zoo
Forum Regular
May 17, 2001, 08:05 AM

After finding out the new york based RCSeshop.com had one DVD model left I canceled my apple order and bought it from the RCS place . . shipped overnight. It is everything I imagined and more . .

the cover does get "dirty" (fingerprints like crazy) quickly . . I'll probably be following the sandblasting/sandpaper thread closely . .

but yeah . . no dead pixels, very VERY sharp screen. basically everything you heard about. Oh . . and the eject key isn't as big of a deal as it was made out to be . . ehh whatever . . I'm thrilled with it.

happy hunting.

wild9
Forum Regular
May 17, 2001, 12:27 PM

Apple called today.... they charged my card and it should be shipping with in the next few days!!!!

ibook DVD/CD-RW combo!

Order placed May 1st
Compulsive Software Update Button Clickers welcome!

PowerBookDude
May 17, 2001, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by wild9:
Apple called today.... they charged my card and it should be shipping with in the next few days!!!!

ibook DVD/CD-RW combo!

Order placed May 1st
THAT IS GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it BTO or stock though?

PBDude

VitalMax
May 17, 2001, 01:21 PM

Is that a 20 or 10 gig hard drive. Was is a BTO or not. Cuz I ordered a combo on the 1st and have gotten nothing, heard nothing and can get no where with apple. I ordered ram seperate from my order to install myself, unfortunatey because I orderd an upgrade from apple as well, I screwed myself and am going to have a wasted 64mb chip. Anyone want to buy it let me know I will part with it cheap.

wild9
Forum Regular
May 17, 2001, 01:27 PM

I've played this BTO deal with Apple before...

My ibook Combo was NOT, I repeat, N O T a bild-to-order. It was completely a STOCK CONFIGURATION.

I'll add RAM the day I get it and have an external 80GB Firewire drive (Maxtor) for actual work.

Tomorrow!
Compulsive Software Update Button Clickers welcome!

utarch21
May 17, 2001, 01:43 PM

woo hoo!

I ordered the new book on the 3rd:
DVD 128 10gb with the following extras:
pro mouse
A/V cable
extra battery

it is now the 17th and I've received my mouse and my battery.

I'm not sure, but I guess there could be a couple of programs I could run with this setup! ...any suggestions?

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2001, 01:49 PM

I just got off the telephone with the first helpful, knowledgable Apple Customer Service Rep I have ever dealt with and here is what she told me:

At this point they have ALL the stock iBook systems ready to go. My particular order (CD-RW ordered the 1st) is scheduled to ship at the end of next week. Orders will supposedly be filled in the order they were received (we know this not to be true).

For me, this would put arrival at the middle of the last week in May. I guess we'll have to see...at least now I don't have to check the Order Status page every few hours.

The rep also made a point of correcting me on this:
BTO systems are the stock systems (they have these ready to ship)
CTO systems are custom systems

Where once I was blind, now I can see.

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
May 17, 2001, 01:56 PM

Mojo....sounds like we both got the same rep. (or could it be...TWO friendly, knowledgeable apple reps?)...

She said my BTO...errr...CTO DVD/20/192 willl be shipping at teh end of the month.

I hope she's right.

------------------
"The Macintosh is the temple of your soul." -Moi

dawnview
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2001, 05:13 PM

>>I don't think it's fair to blame Outpost or any other retailer (especially the large online ones) if books havn't shipped yet.<<

I guess I should clarify, I am disappointed with the misinformation and the lack of info. on web tracking. I placed my order before they began offering the bundle, called into to make sure my order would be updated, from then on my order info was blanked out and just showed a "your order is currently being processed, check back in a few hours."

I called on several consecutive days to find out the status of my order, each time mentioning the problem with the order status page, not a single offer of help. Each time they just said something to the effect of "well your order is in the system."

any mouse cow herder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2001, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by utarch21:
woo hoo!

I ordered the new book on the 3rd:
DVD 128 10gb with the following extras:
pro mouse
A/V cable
extra battery

it is now the 17th and I've received my mouse and my battery.

I'm not sure, but I guess there could be a couple of programs I could run with this setup! ...any suggestions?
Cool, you could cut into the wires of the mouse and connect them to the battery to make the little light glow.

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2001, 05:24 PM

Well I ordered on May 9 and my Stock DVD iBook was shipped 6 hours from now from Taiwan.. (They are 13 Hrs Ahead) So My iBook Shipped!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!
Cant wait.....

I got the stock DVD version cause I already have a 256MB module an and external HD so i am all set!!!!!

------------------
Be happy Be Cool Be Different, but be yourself...
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

tswan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2001, 06:02 PM

O.K., congratulations. Why has my stock DVD, ordered on May 3rd not shipped. This is getting ridiculous. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to how these things are leaving the factory.

Well I ordered on May 9 and my Stock DVD iBook was shipped 6 hours from now from Taiwan.. (They are 13 Hrs Ahead) So My iBook Shipped!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!
Cant wait.....

I got the stock DVD version cause I already have a 256MB module an and external HD so i am all set!!!!!

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 17, 2001, 07:19 PM

This online ordering is for the birds. If I had ordered by phone I would be sitting here in blissful ignorance, assuming all is well. Instead I'm checking my order status every hour and trying not to panic because ClubMac is now telling me I have no open orders!

I checked my credit card and an authorization has been requested for the amount of my purchase, so at least I know someone has done SOMETHING with my order!
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

prodigy1387
May 17, 2001, 08:35 PM

I ordered my iBook from MacMall on the 15th DVD/256MB model. I heard that they would be receiving shipments in next week. I ordered it with overnight shipping so I should have my iBook by next week! YES!

tsubasako
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2001, 08:43 PM

wow, after reading that the education store orders are low priority, i am SO glad i went to my local apple store today and put my name on the very LAST cd-rw of the first order they made (may 2nd). i hope they got fedex, i forgot to ask. <crosses fingers> sounds like it might get here the day after i leave.

there was an ibook box sitting on the chair of the sales guy i was giving my name to, i was admiring it but then the second i walked away to look at the harman kardon speakers, a guy rushed in and paid for it. lucky bastard!

Kit2
May 17, 2001, 10:50 PM

Well, I placed my order for the iBook DVD model at outpost.com on 5/4/01. It still hasn't ship yet. Don't expect it to until 5/31/01, that's my guess. I am kicking myself in the ass for not placing an order at smalldog.com instead. I heard that some are getting iBooks from smalldog.com since last week. I got desperate and placed an order for the iBook CDROM at both smalldog.com and Maczone.com on 5/14/01. Choose the iBook CDROM instead of the iBook DVD because I heard the iBook CDROM are more available than the iBook DVD. Really wanted the iBook DVD though. Guess what? I just got an email from smalldog.com saying my iBook has beened shipped!!! Woohoo!!! I almost was willing to give up and say f*ck the iBook cause I'll be graduating from college in 3 wks and wouldn't need the iBook as much anymore. Now I'll have the iBook to write tons of papers and give presentations during finals week. Yeah!

--Kit

paddington6
May 18, 2001, 12:03 AM

I ordered my combo on may 2nd (stock). I just found out that my credit card has been debited. I hope to get the 'ibook shipped' email tomorrow.

VideoMaker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2001, 01:32 AM

Just wanted to thank Skaar for the lead on Diversified Computers. After I saw the forum entry, I called Diversified yesterday and my new iBook (only CD-ROM, but OK with me) arrived today. OS X users please note: you need to install all OS X updates to get the optical disk drive tray to function properly. By the way, the screen is gorgeous, especially with OS X!

BerberCarpet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2001, 10:50 AM

Ordered Stock DVD
9:30 am (central time)
Thursday, May 18

They _think_ it will be in within 14 days, but no guarantees.

. . .

So hard to wait!
"Umm.... creamy living
chocolate center."

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2001, 11:18 AM

MY iBook ARRIVED!!

Sweet. It is very nice.
Runs Mac OS X quite well. I am sure it is quicker than my Cube, but I am not at home, so i can't tell.

Very Impressed.

AJ

Ambria (password at home)
May 18, 2001, 11:58 AM

Just got an email from outpost. They are now officially completely backordered and have no idea when the shipment will arrive. I called them and upgraded my shipping from free ground to overnight (11.00). Found out they also had our IT department guy's HOME address instead of the credit card/billing address ... that would have added yet ANOTHER day!

The uncheerful sales guy said they were expecting them in the next few weeks. Depressing. I think all the iBook calls are starting to get on their nerves.

- Ambria

prodigy1387
May 18, 2001, 12:09 PM

I won't get my iBook until about 5/22 to 5/31 i predict. MacMall is getting CD models in, but DVDs are not expected til next week or the week after. I hope I can get my DVD next week!

Stephen W
May 18, 2001, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by AJ:
MY iBook ARRIVED!!

Sweet. It is very nice.
Runs Mac OS X quite well. I am sure it is quicker than my Cube, but I am not at home, so i can't tell.

Very Impressed.

AJ

Lucky you

I was just on the phone to the UK Applestore. First of all they told me the standard "3-5 weeks" thing, but then they said that I was due to receive an email with shipping details soon. They also said I was first on the list for the new iBook..whether that means first in the UK[obviuously not], first in Ireland, first for a custom build model[I ordered the DVD model w/ the 20Gig hard drive], or what exactly, I don't know.

Stephen W

VitalMax
May 18, 2001, 01:33 PM

My CTO 20gig/192mb/combo is shipping from Apple store on Tuesday.... Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Whooo Hooo. Anyways, that makes it the 22nd day after I ordered, pretty close to the 3 of the 3 to 5 weeks quote. Cheers to apple!!!!!!
================================
J. Francis

Forum Links
Forum Rules