Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook order status thread

iBook order status thread (Page 5)
Lucky Man!
May 22, 2001, 03:53 PM

Ordered a DVD model on 5/21 from ClubMac
Got it 9 am the next morning.

:O) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VitalMax
May 22, 2001, 03:57 PM

Well still no ETA on Combo Drives or any CTO's for that matter. BUMMER the 22nd ship date rumor, NO DICE.... Those are quotes from Apple reps who are unaware that the dates they see are in accurate. now what Iam gonna cry

jblakeh1
Senior User
May 22, 2001, 03:59 PM

I ordered my DVD iBook Stock model on May 9th and i got it Saturday the 19.. That was only 10 days after I had ordered!!!! Many people here are extremely mad at the Apple Store but you guys have little or no reason to be mad...
Easy for you to say. I ordered a stock combo as soon as the AppleStore reopened on May 1, and mine isn't here yet! I've sold my iBook SE firewire, so as of tomorrow, I won't have a computer until the new one arrives!

------------------
.b
http://homepage.mac.com/jblakeh1
http://www.sit3.com

MaxMac
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by VitalMax:
Well still no ETA on Combo Drives or any CTO's for that matter. BUMMER the 22nd ship date rumor, NO DICE.... Those are quotes from Apple reps who are unaware that the dates they see are in accurate. now what Iam gonna cry
My rep at a distributor says they will recieve the combos on th 5th of June. They updated the arrival today from TBD.

------------------
I love deadlines. They make a whooshing sound as they pass by.

mr.anderson
May 22, 2001, 04:22 PM

I ordered my dvd stock ibook may 1st from the apple retailer on campus.
since then, there's no ibook in sight and I start getting really pissed.

cygnet74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by Ambria (password@home):
If anyone is extremely anxious (like the people leaving the country) I would suggest a Apple reseller. They are getting them faster, some don't have tax (tax free states) and most will ship.
Taking your advice, I just called a local reseller and they said they are getting the CDRW model tomorrow or the next day. They are going to call me when they come in. I guess, I will wait until I hear from them to cancel my Outpost order.

rmcalhany
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 04:39 PM

geek77 & others....

I say that i'm unhappy & won't order from apple again (at least a CTO) for this reason:

I ordered w/i the first hour they were announced. WHile NO ONE has a CTO apparently (at least a dvd which I ordered) it appears that retailers had the regular units (CD & DVD models) BEFORE many of the people who ordered them on the first.

My beef is that I should have immediately called the local fry's, compusa or microcenter (hell all 3) and put my name on a list for a dvd unit. Then ordered my own damn 20Gb drive (for 80$ less) and installed it myself.

That would have meant:
1) i got it AT LEAST 1 week earlier -- i still haven't had mine shipped, and the local fry's had DVD's a week ago
2) I would have saved 15$ fedex charge, 80$ more for the 20Gb than i could have bought it elsewhere
3) would have spent 6 hours installing the drive
4) could have configured it and been use to it before classes start in 1 week.

Hell, i could have put my name first at smalldog.com or another online retailer and avoided taxes (thus saved more money and gotten free RAM!!!)

my problem, apple no longer seems to reward loyalty in shipping to the people who order thru their online store....hell, why even have the store if it's quicker and cheaper to get it online?

just doesn't make sense.

I'm not mad that it's taken 3 weeks. I'm mad b/c people here have them and I ordered mine DAMN fast!

just my 0.02 sorry about the rant

Robert

Orthoefer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 04:42 PM

I ordered my iBook CD from Clubmac yesterday at 3 PM. Today FedEx delivered it at 11AM. This is with the free 128M RAM upgrade.

Here is a link to a few pictures of the computer:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...886&a=13003424

So far the computer is great. However, web pages seem to load much slower than my Celeron 333 connected to the same ethernet LAN. Any thoughts?

freebird
May 22, 2001, 04:46 PM

Based on what I've read, installing a new hard drive in the iBook is definitely a job for Apple.

I'll be glad when all models of the iBooks ship in volume. The masses are getting rowdy (or is that riotous).

iBookUser
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 05:03 PM

Just called Outpost, they only got 17 iBooks in today. The lady said that they were expecting a lot more. So now they don't know when they will get more in. Damn this is frustrating!

Matt

Sold my KL SE a week ago today... it's hell without a computer!

bikinijack
May 22, 2001, 05:09 PM

I just got an e-mail from Apple. I am desperate as i have no access to a reseller where I am [out of the US] and i have to have my iBook shipped to a US address [my mothers]. Though I ordered a CTO on May 2 from the Apple Store and mentioned that i needed it for an overseas trip: they are saying that it is their "goal" to have it to me in 1-2 weeks. I have goals too, most of them don't get reached however and that is why this is scaring me! For those who are saying that we knew the score when we ordered [3-5 weeks], we didn't know at the time that all the retailers would have theirs first.

BriGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 05:20 PM

OUTPOST Status for the IBOOK DVD

As of 5:OOPM Eastern time today (5/22) they had 145 B/O and were expecting about 50 today theh were not yet entered into the system as having arrived I was told.

I ordered on the 5/10 and the nice woman couldn't tell me where I was in the que other then being in the first 1/2 or so I believe based on Friday there was around 80 on B/O and I had orders 8 days before that.

I'm praying for a soon delivery!!! I need to replace my 1400 who served me well!

Brian

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 05:50 PM

I just got off the phone with Jason at MacMall. He said they WILL DEFINITLY get enough stock CD-ROM units in this week to fill all back orders THIS WEEK. So if you ordered a stock CD-ROM unit from MacMall, Expect it shipped this week. He didn't mention anythong about availability of the other units though.

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2001, 05:52 PM

For folks who are waiting for their CD-RW iBook, I just called the local MicroCenter (Dallas, TX) this afternoon and they had some of them in stock late last week and sold out this past weekend. They are expecting more of the cd-rw models (and possibly other models, I didn't ask) in either tomorrow or the next day. Just so you cd-rw people know, it seems these models ARE shipping, at least to retailers and are becoming available.

Duoboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by jtc:
Originally posted by geek77:
Why? They promised to deliver with 3-5 weeks. It has been exactly 3 weeks today. Did you assume that they weren't telling you the truth about ship times and that it would ship earlier? Just because some people got their's early, doesn't change the fact that when you placed your order, the ship time was 3-5 weeks, and they are still well within theri promised time frame.
I couldn't agree more. I can't believe so many people are complaining that they're not getting their iBooks before Apple said they would.
I also agree with this like of reasoning. Besides, I'm excited about receiving OSX on my new chiclet. The way I see it, they are still within the delivery window, and I save 100 bucks on the OS upgrade. So my glass is half full
Kevin Spengel
Wheaton, IL

phillyjim
May 22, 2001, 08:46 PM

Bad News!

I just called Outpost at 8:40PM, Eastern Time, and was told that they received NO iBooks today at all!!! Not 70, not 15, nada!

He had no information that they would get any tomorrow either.......

ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Jug-dish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 11:03 PM

I just want to say something about those of us (myself included) who are pissed at Apple about not getting our iBooks yet. True, Apple quoted us a lead time of 3-5 weeks. I ordered on May 1 (within 2 hours them going on sale), and today would be the early part of this time frame. I'll give you that. However, many of us are pissed because so many others who ordered after us (by quite a few days, in fact) have already received their iBooks (some several days ago). Please understand that we are not bitching about the turnaround time, per se, but that some of us were the among the first to order and are still waiting...and waiting...and waiting.

iBookUser
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 11:35 PM

Called J and R and they had DVD models in stock. Canceled my order with Outpost and it should be here on Thursday! If you want one, give them a call!

Matt

geek77
May 23, 2001, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by Jug-dish:
I just want to say something about those of us (myself included) who are pissed at Apple about not getting our iBooks yet. True, Apple quoted us a lead time of 3-5 weeks. I ordered on May 1 (within 2 hours them going on sale), and today would be the early part of this time frame. I'll give you that. However, many of us are pissed because so many others who ordered after us (by quite a few days, in fact) have already received their iBooks (some several days ago). Please understand that we are not bitching about the turnaround time, per se, but that some of us were the among the first to order and are still waiting...and waiting...and waiting.
I know, I ordered within 2-3 minutes of the apple store "going live" on the 1st (1pm CST), and my DVD/256/20GB is still being assembled. Most people getting their machines ordered stock cd or dvd versions. I haven't heard of ANY custom configured ones shipping from Apple, or any stock Combo or CD-RW versions (although I may be wrong). I think if you look around, only a small percentage of people have actually gotten theirs.

I'm going to go click reload a few times now on the Order Status page

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 01:32 PM

Just got my DVD model from ClubMac (ordered May 14, shipped Monday two-day). No OS X in the box. But other than that... no dead pixels, silent hard drive, no scrunchy noises in the trackpad as others have mentioned. Next step: installing my 256MB stick.

It's not as cool as my Cube, but I'm still thrilled.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

EebyGeeby
May 23, 2001, 01:48 PM

I ordered on the 19th of May. I was told that it wouldn't ship for 3 - 5 weeks. . .

iBook: 500 MHz
Drive: Combo
Mem: 128 MB

------------------
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard. . .

. . .and as always folks, please remember to rewind your DVDs

EebyGeeby
May 23, 2001, 01:57 PM

I ordered on the 19th of May. I was told that it wouldn't ship for 3 - 5 weeks. . .

iBook: 500 MHz
Drive: Combo
Mem: 128 MB

------------------

. . .and as always folks, please remember to rewind your DVDs

mr.anderson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 02:22 PM

ok, I'm the guy who waited three weeks for his dvd stock-model on the ohio state campus store. they got some in today: one dvd and three basic models.
guess which one they chose as their display model: of course "my" dvd ibook.
to make it short: order cancelled, new order at clubmac, will probably get it on monday. period.

have an nice one.

Voch
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by EebyGeeby:
I'd just like to say that I got a kick out of your 'sig quote and have shared it with the masses that I work with (not Mac users but Microsoft haters).

Voch

triskelboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 05:03 PM

Just called the apple store - they told me my CTO DVD+Airport+20GB would ship on the 30th June +/- one day. I ordered May 1.
I won't be holding my breath . . .

iBook2
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 05:34 PM

Placed an order for iBook 500/20GB/256MB/DVD-CDRW Combo Drive on May 22nd. Talked to Apple Rep today, and he said I will be receiving it within 2 weeks. I guess it really doesn't pay to be the first one to order, you just end up waiting longer just to get it the same time as everyone else!

tsm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 05:36 PM

Was surprised by a phone call today by a guy from Macmall -- he told me that my ibook (plain vanilla CD version) ordered 5/9 had been shipped 5/23. They rec'd today so a big bunch of you should be happy soon. BTO's of course not ready yet.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2001, 06:24 PM

I like this sig personally:

-----

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

-----

I can't remember where I read that, but I always thought it was cool.

------------------
[Removed at the request of Apple Legal]

bezzo
May 23, 2001, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by iBook2:
[B]Placed an order for iBook 500/20GB/256MB/DVD-CDRW Combo Drive on May 22nd. Talked to Apple Rep today, and he said I will be receiving it within 2 weeks. B]
I placed an order for a similar one on 5/21 - it is still listed as being reviewed at the Apple Store
I would love to get it in two weeks - but I've got my doubts....

geri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 07:36 PM

Ordered a DVD model with everything normal besides an airport card included May 8th. Still at the Being Assembled stage. :-(

sparkler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 08:01 PM

I ordered the standard DVD model on the 15th May and did a wire transfer for payment. Money was out my account on the 16th but my order status is still at "being reviewed" almost a week later

Stebahan
May 23, 2001, 08:41 PM

I'm wearing my wife's under garments and have my feet wrapped in angel hair pasta. For background music, I have decided that nothing but Doris Day songs will surfice. I eat nothing but little fluffs of hair that my dog leaves on the carpet and I can tell everyone that waiting for my iBook, ordered 5/2, has been the best thing for me. I'm 42 years old and I have never been in better shape.

ibookbum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 09:57 PM

I have sources, combo and cd-rw will ship monday. Also OS X dvd is coming soon.

Scratch
May 23, 2001, 10:48 PM

Talked to Outpost today and they said they are expecting 50 DVDs on Thursday and 100 more on Friday. So they are expecting to get backorders taken care of. Although they have been saying that they have been expecting that order for 2-3 days. What I expect happened is that when Apple knew it was going to start including X with everything expected shipments got backlogged. Easier for us massess to wait a bit than to have us beggin for our X. Although if X isn't on my new ibook I too will wrap my feet in Angel Hair pasta.

jblakeh1
Senior User
May 23, 2001, 10:54 PM

I have sources, combo and cd-rw will ship monday
Is it safe to assume your 'sources' aren't some phone jockey at the apple store, mac mall, mac hut, outpost, or where ever?

------------------
.b
http://homepage.mac.com/jblakeh1
http://www.sit3.com

Knof8
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 11:23 PM

I went and ordered one of the new ibooks on sunday after the computerstore out by me sold out of the stock dvd models. they had expected a new shipment in yesterday, but that didn't work and then have said sometime by the end of this week. i also did check to see if they would include the OSX on them and the person i talked to at the store said it would not be shipping with it. i'm not really mad, i'm just eager to get it.

Rhino99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 11:25 PM

I ordered a stock DVD model on 0516 from MacZone. Was told to expect shipment 0530. Called to check today and it is set for Airborne shipment tonite, for delivery tomorrow! Cant wait. Must wait. How many hours of sleep will I lose tonight? How bitter will I be if it's a no-show tomorrow?

Free 128mb ram, free Labtec headphones, no sales tax, overnight ship discounted by the amt for ground. Waiting ain't so bad.

"A little older, a little more confused."
-Dennis Hopper in The American Friend

pcp
May 23, 2001, 11:37 PM

i've ordered combo drive on the 1st and i was super stoked
when i got the shippment confirmation email today but jsut noticed
that they only shipped my AV cable...

MaxMac
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 11:56 PM

I feel your pain... Just keep doing the combo-mambo...

------------------

warrior queen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 12:01 AM

I've got a CTO iceBook- DVD/256/20G on order.......have any CTO's shipped?

Man, I want my Chiclet!

geek77
May 24, 2001, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by warrior queen:
I've got a CTO iceBook- DVD/256/20G on order.......have any CTO's shipped?

Man, I want my Chiclet!
I ordered the same thing, at 11:02 AM PST on May 1st (about 2 minutes after the apple store opened) and it's still being assembled, I think, let me check.....

yup, still being assembled. I haven't heard of ANY CTO's being shipped, and when they do, I'd imagine that mine would be towards the front of the line. That is, if you believe Apple's "first come first serve" policy ...

iBookmonger
May 24, 2001, 01:43 AM

MicroCenter in Overland Park KS has CD-ROM and DVD models in stock.

Picked up my DVD earlier... and am going to call the university store where I had one on order to cancel the order tomorrow... they're gonna be upset.... and I hope they haven't cashed my check yet!!! MicroCenter and the Uni.Store are going to be racing to the bank!!!! ZOOM!!!! I love it.

I just had to have my DVD iBook NOW!!! so it's worth the chance of violating the law (writing a HOT check) even since I crossed state lines to do it (I live in MO)

I hope all works out well for me.... and I love the iBook, it's screen is AMAZING. I love it. So much brighter than my iBook SE that I sold for this one. The new rez was worth it.

Mikey T
May 24, 2001, 02:38 AM

I ordered my stock DVD ibook on 5/10 ... it's still "Being Assembled"

Yes I'm getting anxious, but not upset. Regardless of how quickly others are getting theirs, Apple said mine would ship in 3-5 weeks. So come mid June, if I don't have my ibook... I'll... I'll... wait longer I guess!?!

Mikey T

tsubasako
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 03:06 AM

Tsubasa finally gives up.

Since there is still no sign of anyone on this board getting a CD-RW, I gave up Tuesday morning and called my local Apple reseller, where I had another CD-RW order. The sales guy said they still hadn't gotten a single RW, and there were probably thousands of people ahead of me at Apple, which was so disheartening I sunk into depression and moped around the boards... for about ten minutes, until my sales guy called back and said "I have a DVD model right here on my chair, if you want it." I said "give me an hour to see what kind of portable CD-RW drives there are." An hour later (the store is 30 minutes away) I was carrying the iBook to my car. I was a little sad at first, but I leave for Japan next Tuesday and I needed time to set up. The sales guy called me back to see if I wanted memory, but then he found out he didn't have any 128's in stock, which is all I wanted for now. But since that was my lucky day, he called right back again and said another guy had cancelled his 128 order, and it was installed by the time I got there.

All the UNBEARABLE stress of the past few weeks melted away when I first plugged in my new baby and fired it up. It's just beautiful, and more solid than any other laptop I have ever used. I am ready to sell my desktop today, if any of you guys want it (Beige G3/266MHz/320MB/USB card/Voodoo5/44Gig)... well maybe when I get back from Japan. I was afraid of the screen, but I *love* it, and I *love* how amazingly silent it is, and the keyboard, and I even like the trackpad (but not for too long).

I realized the DVD would be nice on the looong plane ride anyway, and I went out today and bought two DVD's (Perfect Blue and Ghost in the Shell, if anyone cares ^_^), my very first ones!

I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer which I love, and my Canon Powershot A-20 was delivered while I was picking up the iBook. What an amazing day. Now you know why I haven't posted in a few days. I am madly in love! I just need to work on getting some form of media available, either zip or cd-rw...

I think the guy who installed the RAM didn't get the keyboard in quite right, because it bounces a little in the top middle. I might go back and see if they can fix it tomorrow or Friday.

Anyway, I wish you guys, especially the CD-RW people, the best of luck. I hope Apple ships SOON... but from now on, I will only order through resellers or go to retail stores (hey, 3 hours isn't too far for a Mac loyalist!). Not only will you undoubtedly get better, more helpful, more one-on-one service, but these places offer better support as well. I feel great knowing I can just take it in and have them look at the keyboard. Had I gotten it from Apple, I would have just suffered through it.

Well, I'll be around... later, guys! Thanks for playing the waiting game with me.
Tsubasa

P.S. Sorry this post is so long!

NeedItNow
May 24, 2001, 09:33 AM

Stop waiting in pain!

I have been reading this thread fervently for the last 3 weeks as a replacement for playing with my iBook, which has not shown up. After finally calling MacMall and being told my DVD iceBook would ship "early to late June", I scoured the web for iBooks in stock. I found one that had stock and will ship overnight today!

Based on the posts here and my recent experience, the iBooks are in the channel, but certail vendors don't have them. MacMall for one. My recomendation, unless you have your heart set on a CTO look around and find a local retail store or second tier online retailer that is shipping.

Happy computing.

Ambria
May 24, 2001, 09:48 AM

>>i also did check to see if they would include the OSX on them and the person i talked to at the store said it would not be shipping with it. i'm not really mad, i'm just eager to get it. <<

wasn't it any ordered received after the 21st would have it ... or is it ORDERED after the 21st?

Also, I agree with looking to a local retailer if you are anxious. I am so much less stressed knowing for sure that my ibook will be waiting for me to pick up on Saturday ... and I *know* the people at outpost are happy I am not calling them everyday

------------------
- Ambria
- Ambria

prodigy1387
May 24, 2001, 12:09 PM

ordered a DVD ibook from j&r computer world. they had 24, now 23, in stock and i was lucky enough to get one before they'll sell out. ships today, will receive it tomorrow...i am so excited! (cancelled my macmall order due to delay and wrong info)

badr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 12:22 PM

guys!!!

macsales has a lot of them in stock. cd and DVD.
I got mine overnight with their 15$ rebate and 256 MB ram.
they still have abunch of them...

whatcha waiting for?

G4Man
May 24, 2001, 02:01 PM

Yes, I finally got shipping confirmation from apple. I ordered throught edu store on Sunday, and finally it's being shipped today, so hopefully I'll arrive on Saturday the latest. I got the ibook 500/dvd

jetta_gt
May 24, 2001, 02:08 PM

My iBook DVD is on it's way from MacMall right now, should be here tommarow.

jetta_gt

Forum Links
Forum Rules