Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > SS FinalCut

SS FinalCut
swiz
GUI Punk
Apr 1, 2003, 07:58 PM

I dont anticipate this theme being very popular but I did get a request for it and being a user of Final Cut Pro I believed it would be a fun and worthwhile project. Here is a screenie of what is complete thus far.

Working with the theme I have already realized some elements which I feel are under thought by Apple and I will be releasing two variants; a true repesentation of it and another which has some minor alterations to imrpove upon the weak areas.

So, here is where I ask people what they feel is weak with the FCP interface. Keep in mind, I am not looking to make a new theme here, just tweak the details of FCP.

Maybe I should clarify that- I AM making a new system wide theme which looks like FCP, but I am not trying to make it a new theme based off of FCP aesthetics.

( Last edited by swiz; Apr 1, 2003 at 08:06 PM. )

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Lyric OS 13.0
Apr 1, 2003, 08:45 PM

Swiz:

You've done it again! I can't wait until this one is done... This screenie is very slick. I like it IMHO.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Apr 1, 2003, 08:55 PM

I am really liking it too even though it is a bit inconsistent (Apples usage of flat scrolling elements and 3D buttons etc..) . The things which reaally bother me though are the recessed titlebar and out of place feeling Aqua widgets. But since that is how FCP is, that is how the true version shall stay. I hope I can come up with the right choices for my version which will try to better integrate a consistent overall feel.

Using it is great, it really is a nice neutral theme to work in.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2003, 09:49 PM

Wow sure putting the themes out! Hmm other than some jaggies on the edges it looks good. I'm not sure if I like the scroll bars... I do love the color and the buttons though. If the scroll bars matched the buttons I might like them. And I know you're going for the "Final Cut look" but I'm not sure what to think of the aqua window buttons. Looks nice, not as slick as I like my themes, but that's just me. It's going to be hard to get me to change from TuXedo now...
click one

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2003, 10:15 PM

in the altered version if you made the widgets like the checkbox not checked i think that would sweet.. tell me what you think dude.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2003, 10:16 PM

This looks like a good interpretation of Final Cut Pro. People would like the neutral environment with surely love it!

Personally, I am holding out for your new ChosenOS updates!!

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Apr 1, 2003, 10:29 PM

Thanks guys. Alot of your feedback are exactly what has been going through my head too while working on it. This is why I will be releaseing the true FCP version and the modified one as well.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
Thanks guys. Alot of your feedback are exactly what has been going through my head too while working on it. This is why I will be releaseing the true FCP version and the modified one as well.
Hay I might use the modified one! I'm also thinking the tabs are a bit too sharp. It would be cool if they are rounded just a bit more on the left side maybe?
click one

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Apr 2, 2003, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Hay I might use the modified one! I'm also thinking the tabs are a bit too sharp. It would be cool if they are rounded just a bit more on the left side maybe?
I agree; even more feedback to help the modified version really stand out .

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2003, 12:13 AM

Cool, post mach-ups and I'll keep posting feedback.
click one

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2003, 02:22 AM

MY DREAM COME TRUE!

Swiz.... just one request preeeety please!

Try not to undersize the small tabs.

In most themes they leave ugly gaps.

example:

I think you damn near got it on the Chosen theme... just stick with that...

Maybe sunken glass/clear Jag Aqua widgets?

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2003, 04:29 AM

My brother will be thrilled to hear this! He's majoring in Film/Animation and love FCP so much.

swiz, my vote is in for modified one. Apple's one is good but lack the consistency.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Apr 2, 2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
My brother will be thrilled to hear this! He's majoring in Film/Animation and love FCP so much.

swiz, my vote is in for modified one. Apple's one is good but lack the consistency.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. The original Apple version will be done late today. Then I will begin making my variant. I will post interim screenshots of my suggestions and implement as I get feedback. I hope to have it released with both versions by the weekend.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Apr 2, 2003, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by zazou:
MY DREAM COME TRUE!

Swiz.... just one request preeeety please!

Try not to undersize the small tabs.

In most themes they leave ugly gaps.

example:

I think you damn near got it on the Chosen theme... just stick with that...

Maybe sunken glass/clear Jag Aqua widgets?
Here is a shot of what the small tabs look like. It is true to FCP tabs so if it doesnt work for you maybe my variant could use something with more near vertical sides.

wagmedia
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2003, 12:14 PM

Here is a shot of what the small tabs look like. It is true to FCP tabs so if it doesnt work for you maybe my variant could use something with more near vertical sides.

It looks tight Swiz, except I'm not wild about the rounded scrollbar. I don't think I would like how they fit against the square buttons. Maybe you could make the inner button conform to the shape of the scrollbar, or make the scrollbar square?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2003, 01:32 PM

Ya the scroll bars are still bugging me, they don't match anything in the theme really... You'll have to come up with somthing cool for the modified version. I really like the your Tux scroll bars, maybe somthing more like that?
click one

Vector00
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2003, 01:52 PM

SWEEEEEET!

That's perhaps the best one ... where can we download a preview ... ?

(I'd even use a not finalized version ... )

Great Work ...
--
PowerMac G4 867MHz 896MB RAM
Cinema HD 23" TFT

In Love with Apple .... :-)

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Apr 2, 2003, 02:10 PM

Thanks guys, the scrolling elements are a definite area of attention for the modified variant.

Sorry Vector, I dont like to release themes before they are fully complete and at version 1.0 so the feedback will all be valid. Dont worry though, it will be out before the weekend.

Vector00
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2003, 03:47 PM

O.K. This will be honoured and accepted...

However ..:-) It would be a nice idea to generate a "Public Beta" ... (Come on ... we are all apple freaks ... we are by now used to Beta) ..

But to remain serious: It is totally acceptable to wait a little longer and to be the more happy after download ...

Keep up the good work buddy ....

cheers, Martin

Sorry for my miserable english ... it got quite rusty ...
--
PowerMac G4 867MHz 896MB RAM
Cinema HD 23" TFT

In Love with Apple .... :-)

NathanA
Apr 2, 2003, 04:43 PM

I spent the last 4 days working on a "Pro" theme for OS X based on the look of DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Express.

Now all that work is for naught

Oh well at least I get to still have an FCP styled theme for my machine.

Kudos to you sir

-Nathan

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 2, 2003, 07:27 PM

NathanA...what a stupid name...

"-Dodge This"

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2003, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by milhouse:
NathanA...what a stupid name...

Get a life and stop making fun of peopls screen names... Let's keep this on topic also.

Betas aren't always good, if there's a bug you could mess your system up. It worth wating for themes I think.

Hay are you going to use the new theme file format?
click one

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2003, 09:28 PM

the modified version would be very slick with better widgets, and better scroll bars. dont know what they should look like though. make the widgets could look more like the radio buttons?

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Apr 2, 2003, 09:43 PM

Get a life and stop making fun of peopls screen names... Let's keep this on topic also.

Betas aren't always good, if there's a bug you could mess your system up. It worth wating for themes I think.

Hay are you going to use the new theme file format?
I am going to look into it before I release the theme. I havent messed around with it yet but its ideas sound great. If Duality seems stable to me with the new format I may go with it that way. I just want to use whatever is easiest and safest for the users.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2003, 11:14 PM

Lets not talk stupid names (Mine was the result of all my standard choices being taken already )

I am getting really sick of Duality and the various theme formats. Can't they stick to just one? ThemeChanger is what I will keep using.

Additionally - not totally related to the FCP theme though, but I was trying to use the Cappuccino theme today and it would not theme/alter the brushed appearance. Why is that? Will you update it any time soon? One thing that keeps me away from it are the close, minimize, zoom buttons which look jagged and too busy. I really like the scrolls and other various elements of the theme though!

Lyric OS 13.0
Apr 3, 2003, 01:01 AM

SwCurve:
I too will continue to use ThemeChanger.... That seems to be the most stable theme changer yet...

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Apr 3, 2003, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
Lets not talk stupid names (Mine was the result of all my standard choices being taken already )

I am getting really sick of Duality and the various theme formats. Can't they stick to just one? ThemeChanger is what I will keep using.

Additionally - not totally related to the FCP theme though, but I was trying to use the Cappuccino theme today and it would not theme/alter the brushed appearance. Why is that? Will you update it any time soon? One thing that keeps me away from it are the close, minimize, zoom buttons which look jagged and too busy. I really like the scrolls and other various elements of the theme though!
Yes, I have actually already done this but have not uploaded it yet. You can see how Cappuccino looks in brushed apps here in my forums with a preview of Cappuccino's new brushed look along with its new Safari skin.
http://swizcore.com/SS/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 3, 2003, 02:10 AM

Good job Swiz.

wreks
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2003, 02:43 AM

Looks really nice. I only have one request/suggestion - please make a version with a nonsquare (ie. round) titlebar. Matching widgets would be cool too.

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2003, 03:04 AM

looks nice. Looks very nice.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Apr 3, 2003, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by wreks:
Looks really nice. I only have one request/suggestion - please make a version with a nonsquare (ie. round) titlebar. Matching widgets would be cool too.
Definitely planning on this or tha variant.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Apr 3, 2003, 03:54 AM

Just a thought:
What would you think of simply mimicking the brushed appearance for the variant's titlebar and widgets?

I think I would rather develop something fresh for the widgets but I would like some feedback on these. They are both non brushed windows.

NathanA
Apr 3, 2003, 04:01 AM

Milhouse is a friend of mine, so it's all in jest.

-Nathan

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 08:49 AM

Just a thought:
What would you think of simply mimicking the brushed appearance for the variant's titlebar and widgets?

I think I would rather develop something fresh for the widgets but I would like some feedback on these. They are both non brushed windows.

Swiz, I really love this version!! please release it..
The only thing that I would may be change is the scrolling bars (what about something like the bars from SS pearl or SimpleX )..Other than that it's perfect!!
( Last edited by Patcarla; Apr 3, 2003 at 09:03 AM. )
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Apr 3, 2003, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
Swiz, I really love this version!! please release it..
The only thing that I would may be change is the scrolling bars (what about something like the bars from SS pearl or SimpleX )..Other than that it's perfect!!
Im working on the scrolling elements now. The original Final Cut version is complete, now Im just working on my version then I will release it.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 02:53 PM

Im working on the scrolling elements now. The original Final Cut version is complete, now Im just working on my version then I will release it.
Great!! thanks Swiz

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Apr 3, 2003, 03:38 PM

Ok scrolling elements are set. I like them much more then the originals.

On to the next element.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 05:18 PM

On to the next element.
Cool. That's exactly what I wanted!!!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 05:23 PM

On to the next element.
Much better scroll bars! I don't really like the aqua window buttons though, and they look really bad in the inactive windows. Buttons more like your Tux theme's might be a better idea.
click one

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 05:27 PM

Much better scroll bars! I don't really like the aqua window buttons though, and they look really bad in the inactive windows. Buttons more like your Tux theme's might be a better idea.
Nope!! I desagree.. the buttons look good to me.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Apr 3, 2003, 05:49 PM

Ok, here is the final preview of how my variant looks. Ive got to goto work now but I will package it up and post the theme with both versions as soon as I get home this evening.
Thanks for the feedback.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2003, 05:50 PM

Just an observation Swiz -

I don't use FCP (my brother does tho), but it looks like you're using the timeline slider for scrolls as opposed to the actual window content scrolls as they appear in FCP (which is the standard Aqua scroll). IMHO, some of the controls in FCP look a little clunky and old-fashioned (the timeline slider for example) Maybe you could do 2 versions (using the new Xscheme multi-theme thing), one with timeline-like scroll hardware and one with graphite Aqua scroll hardware... the thing being that your theme design utilizes graphite titlebar widgets but they have no similarly-styled counterparts elsewhere. A hybrid with the arrows and track done Auqa-style but with that FPC 'steel' surface instead of white, with a graphite Aqua thumb, that might be neat too. Just playing devil's advocate... You've done a bang-up job in the translation, though

wagmedia
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2003, 05:57 PM

Ok, here is the final preview of how my variant looks. Ive got to goto work now but I will package it up and post the theme with both versions as soon as I get home this evening.
Thanks for the feedback.

Looks goos Swiz. Difinately like the new scrollbars.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Apr 3, 2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Just an observation Swiz -

I don't use FCP (my brother does tho), but it looks like you're using the timeline slider for scrolls as opposed to the actual window content scrolls as they appear in FCP (which is the standard Aqua scroll). IMHO, some of the controls in FCP look a little clunky and old-fashioned (the timeline slider for example) Maybe you could do 2 versions (using the new Xscheme multi-theme thing), one with timeline-like scroll hardware and one with graphite Aqua scroll hardware... the thing being that your theme design utilizes graphite titlebar widgets but they have no similarly-styled counterparts elsewhere. A hybrid with the arrows and track done Auqa-style but with that FPC 'steel' surface instead of white, with a graphite Aqua thumb, that might be neat too. Just playing devil's advocate... You've done a bang-up job in the translation, though
Thanks bbx, that sortof what I am doing but having just made a few different decisions than your suggestions. The version with the graphite Aqua widgets is the version which attempts to be totally true to FCP with the exception of the widgets being graphite as opposed to Aqua as in FCP. My version which is not using any Aqua elements is my attempt at improving upon Apples dated elements within FCP.

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 3, 2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by NathanA:
Milhouse is a friend of mine, so it's all in jest.

-Nathan
Yep.
"-Dodge This"

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 3, 2003, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Wow. Awesome. I would really pay for your stuff Swiz.

Nice. Very Nice.

EDIT: Just saw the paypal logo on your site. YG$.
"-Dodge This"

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 10:06 PM

Oh yeah! This thing rocks the freakin house. Most excellent Kevin.

dj

[B]Ok, here is the final preview of how my variant looks. Ive got to goto work now but I will package it up and post the theme with both versions as soon as I get home this evening.
Thanks for the feedback.

http://swizcore.com/images/SS_FC_FinalPreview.jpg[/img]

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

yay much better! *claps* the buttons are much better non-aqua! Not sure if I'll change from Tux for long though... lol you did almost too good a job on that theme, makes all your other themes look bad. lol Well I'll give it a try though. ^^
click one

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Apr 3, 2003, 11:03 PM

lol you did almost too good a job on that theme, makes all your other themes look bad. lol
ROFL...

... but suddenly I dont know whether to laugh or cry. Oh well, Im stil cracking up at that statment.

wreks
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2003, 11:23 PM

I have a couple of idea if you want to hear them. How about making the titlebar a lighter shade so there is more contrast between it and the black title type. Sorta a two tone deal. I was messing with it a bit if you're curious (1,2)

Also the first set of tabs looks like you took them from SS Next, this set looks like you took from SS SimpleX, I think I preferred the next style better, as is they look too roundy to me (as do the buttons). But cool stuff.
( Last edited by wreks; Apr 3, 2003 at 11:36 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules