Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > How does Apple always seem to miss THIS!

How does Apple always seem to miss THIS!
Spaztik
Jul 20, 2003, 02:30 AM

OS X has used the same scroll bars, progress bars and title bar widgets (now, they're sunken versions of the original dull ones) since the release of Mac OS X Beta.

Since then, they've updated the look of OS X to a shinier and more vibrant stylish look. But, even 10.2 didn't have different scroll bars, progress bars or widgets... what gives?

Then, Apple releases Mac OS X Panther v. 10.3 Developers Preview... *sigh* still the same old scroll bars, progress bars, and title bar widgets. Even though they thought it was time to change the push buttons?

Max mentioned the appearance of new "mini" buttons that have a similar look to the new push buttons and this makes me believe that they are working on a totally even brighter look.

So, really, my question is this: Do you think Apple is going to update the GUI in Panther so that it has a consistent interface finally... or do you think they'll overlook the scroll bars, progress bars and title bar widgets again?

Max, if you are reading this... I just gotta say, I don't know how I would sleep at night without your addition to the aqua interface. ie SmoothStripes and Aqua Extreme.
( Last edited by Spaztik; Jul 20, 2003 at 02:51 AM. )
"Once you go Max, you never go bax!"

quandarry
Jul 20, 2003, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by Spaztik:
<snip>
Then, Apple releases Mac OS X Panther v. 10.3... *sigh* still the same old scroll bars, progress bars, and title bar widgets. Even though they thought it was time to change the push buttons?
<snip>
have i been on another planet?...last i heard they gave out a pre alpha developers preview whatever release at the wwdc and now bingo, bango, boingo...it's been released...months ahead of schedule...wow!

Spaztik  (op)
Jul 20, 2003, 02:54 AM

Then, Apple releases Mac OS X Panther v. 10.3 Developers Preview... *sigh* still the same old scroll bars...
Sorry... Is that better. I didn't know I had to specify what release of Panther I was talking about because there is ONLY ONE RELEASE.

So, don't get smart with me.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jul 20, 2003, 05:24 AM

Originally posted by Spaztik:
Max, if you are reading this... I just gotta say, I don't know how I would sleep at night without your addition to the aqua interface. ie SmoothStripes and Aqua Extreme.
Glad you enjoy them. I agree with you, those elements look too out of place and I hope they do something about them.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2003, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
have i been on another planet?...last i heard they gave out a pre alpha developers preview whatever release at the wwdc and now bingo, bango, boingo...it's been released...months ahead of schedule...wow!

Uh... he also said, "So, really, my question is this: Do you think Apple is going to update the GUI in Panther so that it has a consistent interface finally... " Seems like Panther hasn't actually been released yet afterall! :-]

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2003, 01:36 PM

Well since Panther should be out in Sep, I find it hard to beleave that they will update the GUI in 2 months... Plus Apple does seem to be updateing the preview Panther over software update, you'd think they would update the GUI too if and when they do some GUI work.

Also just look at the first screens of Jag, aren't they still being used on Apple's site as screens of the full release of Jag?
click one

Spaztik  (op)
Jul 20, 2003, 01:52 PM

If you look at Developer screens of Jaguar... there were SIGNIFFICANT interface changes to it before it was GM

You see? I find it hard to believe that Apple doesn't have something up their sleeves.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2003, 05:06 PM

I think you all are too picky

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2003, 10:01 PM

or maybe you are just not picky enough...

who is to say?

If it ain't broken... Fix it!�

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2003, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Well since Panther should be out in Sep...
Actually Jobs said "by the end of the calendar year" which probably means Dec.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2003, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by hyperizer:
Actually Jobs said "by the end of the calendar year" which probably means Dec.
Hmm well let's hope there is room for improvement, and hope it doesn't get worse.
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules