Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther 7B90? The real GOLD MASTER?

Panther 7B90? The real GOLD MASTER?
Spaztik
Oct 5, 2003, 02:37 PM

Could this be? Maybe 7B85 wasn't really the GM afterall!

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=56055
( Last edited by Spaztik; Oct 5, 2003 at 03:05 PM. )
"Once you go Max, you never go bax!"

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2003, 02:44 PM

lol, I think this is the real fake one, spymac kiddos

OpenStep
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 02:46 PM

here we go again

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 02:51 PM

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Laughed so much that I can cry
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

nforcer
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 03:00 PM

All of this "this build is GM" "no this one is" is a bunch of crap. When Apple declares a GM, the 10.3 release date will be soon to follow.

Personally, I don't think a GM has been declared at all. Just release candidates. And along the line someone misinterpreted "release candidate" as "golden master", and from there things blew out of proportion, and now no one knows for sure anymore. That's my theory anyway. And I wouldn't be surprised to see another supposed "GM" show up in the near future.

Another thing to consider is that David Hyatt posted about some important Safari/Webcore changes he made on his weblog today. Assuming 7B85 or 7B90 is in fact the GM, and has already gone into duplication, then the version of Safari he is talking about is a post-10.3 version. I think it would be unusual to ship a version of Safari with 10.3, and then an important update to that particular application not too far after release. And if he is not working on a version of Safari or Webcore intended for after the 10.3 release, then he is working on a version intended for the 10.3 release, which means nothing is GM yet.

Of course, this is all speculation considering past events and looking at what I know. And like others who try and figure out rumors, I'm probably wrong. But I think considering this new info in the way I have makes much more sense. But that's just me. And now I am just talking to myself. Incoherently.

Moose
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by nforcer:
All of this "this build is GM" "no this one is" is a bunch of crap. When Apple declares a GM, the 10.3 release date will be soon to follow.

Personally, I don't think a GM has been declared at all. Just release candidates. And along the line someone misinterpreted "release candidate" as "golden master", and from there things blew out of proportion, and now no one knows for sure anymore. That's my theory anyway. And I wouldn't be surprised to see another supposed "GM" show up in the near future.
Let's play a game called "Who am I going to listen to?"

Piracy said that 4K78 was Cheetah GM. 4K78 was Cheetah GM. Piracy said that 5G64 was Puma GM. 5G64 was Puma GM. Piracy said that 6C115 was Jaguar GM. 6C115 was Jaguar GM.

Countless naysayers argued with piracy until both of them were blue in the face.

Piracy said that 7B85 is Panther GM. Countless naysayers are saying it isn't.

Who am I going to listen to?

Allow me to reiterate:

7B85 is GM.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
Let's play a game called "Who am I going to listen to?"

Piracy said that 4K78 was Cheetah GM. 4K78 was Cheetah GM. Piracy said that 5G64 was Puma GM. 5G64 was Puma GM. Piracy said that 6C115 was Jaguar GM. 6C115 was Jaguar GM.

Countless naysayers argued with piracy until both of them were blue in the face.

Piracy said that 7B85 is Panther GM. Countless naysayers are saying it isn't.

Who am I going to listen to?

Allow me to reiterate:

7B85 is GM.
Don't forget about little ol me!

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Moose
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
Don't forget about little ol me!
Nothing against you or anything, but you're not a veteran of the bloody 4K78 war.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2003, 03:25 PM

I believe b85 is GM. All the reliable sources have agreed on this.

Hash
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 03:28 PM

Could those sources be verified? Or `free your mind` is the only proof so far?

Moose
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Hash:
Could those sources be verified? Or `free your mind` is the only proof so far?
In this game, it's all about trust.

Look up a few posts for my game of "Who am I going to listen to?"

Hash
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 03:36 PM

yeah, a game

Spaztik  (op)
Oct 5, 2003, 03:40 PM

I'm not trying to start a game or war or whatever. I am just posting what I thought was something that needed to be shown to all of you. Geeze, I'm just trying to help out.

If you don't want to believe it, fine. It doesn't bother me any. I don't even know if I am buying it, but I wanted it out there.

If all you people are convinced that 7B85 is the GM, then go right ahead and do that... I'm just trying to give some news. That's all.

Don't shoot the messenger.
"Once you go Max, you never go bax!"

Pheed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2003, 03:41 PM

it is a game. There is absolutely nothing at stake here and nobody is on trial! Nobody has to prove anything, and nothing will be "verified" until it's released. You can choose who to believe, but that's all.

yeah, a game

Hash
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by Pheed:
it is a game. There is absolutely nothing at stake here and nobody is on trial! Nobody has to prove anything, and nothing will be "verified" until it's released. You can choose who to believe, but that's all.
is it the ultimate proof of 7b85 being GM?

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 06:49 PM

Soo.. does anyone here have 7B85 installed? If so, please email me and let me know how you like it! I want to know if I should put some money away for this or not.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2003, 01:34 AM

7B85 is great, you all need to STFU.

Robo-X
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2003, 07:23 AM

There are no reliable sources that claim 7B85 is the GM. Macrumors, Appleinsider, SpyMac and TheRegister do not count as reliable sources. I trust Baghdad Bob more than those sites. The only thing that we all can agree on is that 7B85 is a final candidate.

//Rob

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Robo-X:
There are no reliable sources that claim 7B85 is the GM. Macrumors, Appleinsider, SpyMac and TheRegister do not count as reliable sources. I trust Baghdad Bob more than those sites. The only thing that we all can agree on is that 7B85 is a final candidate.

//Rob
Yes, 7B85 was a final candidate.

It is also GM. You'll see soon enough.

bracken
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 09:09 AM

I'm a believer, piracy is my prophet.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by piracy:
Yes, 7B85 was a final candidate.

It is also GM. You'll see soon enough.
According to precedent, this case is now closed.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2003, 09:48 AM

Nothing against you or anything, but you're not a veteran of the bloody 4K78 war.
haha, the best part of that war was when people thought that the devs had received a different 4k78 with the "make OS X slow" (aka debug code ) removed.

heh, good times.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
haha, the best part of that war was when people thought that the devs had received a different 4k78 with the "make OS X slow" (aka debug code ) removed.

heh, good times.
I remember when someone said his "friend, the apple engineer " told him that they had the public beta, running fast as hell, on a Cube

now those where the days
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2003, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Sarc:
I remember when someone said his "friend, the apple engineer " told him that they had the public beta, running fast as hell, on a Cube

now those where the days

i had a cube and i don't recall anything running fast as hell on it. Maybe OS 9..but thats all.

cs
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Peabo
Senior User
Oct 6, 2003, 11:34 AM

what was even funnier was macosx.org doing 2 reviews of 10.0: One for 4k78 with the debug code still in, and one for the GM of 4k78 without the debug code!
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Hash
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 11:39 AM

I remember Kosmo claiming that 10.0 was faster than 9 or something like this on G4 400 or 500

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2003, 12:10 PM

Does this really matter? When the release date is announced is all that matters.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

JB72
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 12:13 PM

lol

I survived the 4k78/debug code war and all I got was this stupid MacNN t-shirt.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
lol

I want one!

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2003, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
lol

oh man! I had that memory blocked out....Not again!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Applefreak01
Senior User
Oct 6, 2003, 04:45 PM

Ok I'm excited about Panther as much as the next person... but who cares if B85 or B90 is GM. Either way we'll all get it this month or early Nov. 10.2.8 is running ok for me and I could wait another month for Panther if I had to.

And for the people complaining about paying full price after buying a new Mac...I would rather pay full price for Panther than some crappy OS from MS. You don't have to get Panther you know...and wait until Apple OFFICALLY announces Panther's ship date and their upgrade policy.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

soul searching
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 06:25 PM

I remember Kosmo claiming that 10.0 was faster than 9 or something like this on G4 400 or 500
This was before my MacNN days but I do remember reading about wincent.org's encrypted review of 10.0. Funny stuff .

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by soul searching:
This was before my MacNN days but I do remember reading about wincent.org's encrypted review of 10.0. Funny stuff .
Yeah people didn't believe that he had a boxed copy of 10.0 and for whatever reason he didn't want to post the review outright online...

He was right though when he said it was slow as ****.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Yeah people didn't believe that he had a boxed copy of 10.0 and for whatever reason he didn't want to post the review outright online...

He was right though when he said it was slow as ****.
IIRC, he didn't want to steal steve's thunder.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2003, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:

now those where the days
I did own a cube and yes, I agree with the apple engineer. The early version of MacOS X did run fast as hell on the cube. I just don't know what happen when MacOS X was first released though. :-D

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2003, 10:04 PM

The first incarnations of OSX didn't do much of anything useful really. I think once they started adding features and making it do thing besides starting up and browsing finder windows, it slowed down. Features take resources... you all got the features, and capabilities you were crying for, now it runs slower... and of course, now u complain.

trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 02:30 AM

Hehe... I know this thread was a joke.

But I'll just chime in with:

"I've spoken to one Apple employee. He confirmed that build 85 was GM. Would I trust him? Yes. Do you have any reason to trust me? Not especially, but I assure you."
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2003, 05:09 AM

I believe that GM makes cars.
weird wabbit

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
I believe that GM makes cars.
Real Panther GM news:

http://www.blonnet.com/2002/08/13/st...1302800100.htm

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by piracy:
Real Panther GM news:

http://www.blonnet.com/2002/08/13/st...1302800100.htm
Fantastic! Where did you find that?
December 2003, eh?

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2003, 10:05 AM

Mmmmm. Boxy cars... Nice...
Computer thez nohhh...

solbo
Oct 7, 2003, 10:21 AM

Ugh, I seriously doubt 7B85 is GM, it is buggy as hell still. The Finder has issues all over the place. The setup assistant doesn't work right. The list goes on. If they do release it as final then they better have 10.3.1 waiting for people when they get home from the store with their shiny new Panther box. But hey, after the 10.2.8 debacle I wouldn't put it past them at this point, someone at Apple is getting lazy.

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by solbo:
Ugh, I seriously doubt 7B85 is GM, it is buggy as hell still. The Finder has issues all over the place. The setup assistant doesn't work right. The list goes on. If they do release it as final then they better have 10.3.1 waiting for people when they get home from the store with their shiny new Panther box. But hey, after the 10.2.8 debacle I wouldn't put it past them at this point, someone at Apple is getting lazy.
7B85 is 10.3 GM.

It's not "buggy as hell".

No one at Apple is "getting lazy".

The Finder does not have "issues all over the place".

The Setup Assistant works just fine.

10.3 is a very solid initial release of 10.3.x. All releases will have bugs, cosmetic issues, etc., to some degree. Every effort is made to eliminate or minimize these before a decision to freeze code - linked with myriad other concerns - is made.

10.2.8 was hardle a "debacle". Only Power Mac G4 (Dual Gigabit) dual processor models were affected, and only on 10BaseT ethernet at that. The battery issue was only inaccurate reporting, NOT a reduction in battery life, regardless of what anyone says.

You do a good job of throwing around baseless assertions and showcasing your ignorance.

solbo
Oct 7, 2003, 01:48 PM

Wow, you act like I just insulted your mom or something. Maybe you need to lay off the caffeine and the RDF.

The Finder is still buggy, artifacts, delayed display updates when you move things, etc.

The setup assistant pops up a drop down menu over top of the next pane as you proceed from the Time setup to the next screen. Hardly a show stopper but still annoying. If you proceed past the user setup screen and try and go back, it goes back to the registration screen instead, or maybe this is supposed to be a feature?

There are more things than I have time to list, but yes 7B85 is still buggy, and yes you are overly defense about something like wether or not an OS build is the final or not.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Oct 7, 2003, 03:44 PM

They're likely already working on 10.3.1 which is likely in the 7Cxx build range. I personally have little doubt that 7B85 is GM, but I really don't understand why people are flipping out about this.

It doesn't matter what build is GM and what isn't, since you will get whatever build is GM when you go to the store and buy it.

Right?
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by solbo:
The Finder is still buggy, artifacts, delayed display updates when you move things, etc.
I don't see the issues in the Finder you are referring too, but I am only running 7B74.

bsodmike
Oct 7, 2003, 04:11 PM

I've been a wintel geek for the better part of my life until I purchased my G4 pbook in March this year (28th lol I still remember the date!) and one of the reasons I got it was OS X...

Couple nights ago some guys talked me into installing 7B85 and I am speechless. I had never seen any of the other builds and right after the installation process (3.5gigs take a LOOONG time) when the 'cube' rotated I wasn't exactly sure if it was some demo flash thing or some video LOL....talk about freaking out...

Jaguar is already looking its age and I can not believe I'm saying this, cause if you asked me a week ago I would have been like, "Is Panther That Good?"....

No. It's not. It's better than sliced bread.

The new Finder is a joy, Samba works nicely. After using it for 48hrs I've only had one finder crash (instant reload) but that was partially my fault. Mail.app is very nice, got a couple more bells n' whistles.

Coulple stuff have been shifted on the Sys Prefs pane, like login items is apart of 'Accounts' and is associated with each user (makes sence!). Disk Copy has been integrated into whats called Disk Utility.

The new DVD Play is a blast, but some other users have complained of problems.

Battery life is great, I'm getting WAY more than I ever did and this is with a 8month old battery on a 1gig superdrive 15" Tibook.

Speed. Jaguar was feeling its age. Not only had it slowed down, but it being my 'first Mac os' it had a lot of stuff installed that I wouldn't normally bother installing. However the speed increase offered by Panther is instantly noticeable not only in the boot up process (significantly faster...) but within the OS. Expose does exactly like it should but is useless unless you got a nice rodent with lottah buttons (Mx500/700 maybe?) cause its a drag (specially on a pbook) to press F9 and then use the trackpad/button to choose window.

This is a long rant, but simply put, I'm loving Panther by the minute. It has rekindled a new love in my life

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2003, 04:15 PM

yay huge images
So you found out about Expose, eh?
we don't have time to stop for gas

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2003, 05:01 PM

I think they are all in arms about it, because they need to know which pirated build they can officially settle with and install on thier three macs, instead of buying the store copy.

Besides all the friends who they can "distribute" said build to wont be nearly as impressed if they find out its NOT the final build, and they are now running a still beta OS on thier production machine, and any minute it could give way and destroy everything, without any avenue of complaint to apple, becuase its not the same as the final.

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
They're likely already working on 10.3.1 which is likely in the 7Cxx build range. I personally have little doubt that 7B85 is GM, but I really don't understand why people are flipping out about this.

It doesn't matter what build is GM and what isn't, since you will get whatever build is GM when you go to the store and buy it.

Right?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 05:13 PM

[deleted post accidentally posted in the wrong thread]

Forum Links
Forum Rules