Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Audio alert for battery

Audio alert for battery
TheGreatButcher
Senior User
May 13, 2001, 03:49 AM

Is there an app that will play a sound and/or display an alert when your power source has switched from adapter to battery or battery to adapter?

iYeat
May 16, 2001, 12:51 PM

I don't really know of an app that does that, but just out of curiosity...

Why do you need one? AHHH.. now noticing that you're From Rocklin (I being from Folsom).. Are you wanting it because of the blackouts we've been having/ will be having in the area? Otherwise, when the adapter is plugged in, it's using the adapter. When the adapter is not plugged in, it's using the battery.

-C
"My software never has bugs. It merely develops random, undocumented features."
-Anonymous

TheGreatButcher  (op)
Senior User
May 16, 2001, 09:38 PM

It's because on occasion the adapter plug will slip out ever so slightly and I won't realize I'm on the battery until two hours later

Avenir
Mac Elite
May 16, 2001, 09:58 PM

Alright, now, don't all you people hate me for this. A while back a friend sent me an extension entitled "PowerOrgasm" that was specifically designed to play a sound when you plugged in the cord in a PowerBook. It worked on my old powerbook G3 just fine, I haven't tried it on the new one. I ResEdited the sound file in it to something a little more publicly suitable. Search for it on google or something, if not, I still have it and can email it to you.

Oh, it won't make the sound when you unplug the cord, just when you plug it in, though maybe someone could program it to work a little differently.

Edit: I just re-read your second post, and realized that this extension won't really help you. But, anyway, it's there if you need it.

[This message has been edited by Avenir (edited 05-16-2001).]

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Lurk
May 18, 2001, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by TheGreatButcher:
Is there an app that will play a sound and/or display an alert when your power source has switched from adapter to battery or battery to adapter?
I too find that useful. Especially when my ti book had the defective battery. Unbeknownst to me, the powerplug would start slipping out and I would have an immediate freeze when I shifted the book. Here is a solution from Riccardo Ettore, the TypeIt4Me guy. Sounds4Fun, shareware for $14.

� "Powerbook plug is removed" would not only amuse your friends if you assign a sound that pleads you to keep the juice coming or something, but also attract your attention the moment the flow of electricity is cut off (even if you don't remove the plug, that is). This could be especially useful in rural areas or during thunderstorms or - well OK we THINK it could be useful, do we actually have to PROVE IT? <grin>[/B]
The versiontracker link is broken, try http://www.r-ettore.dircon.co.uk/

Good luck, David

[Edit: fixed URL to be a link. --tooki]

[This message has been edited by tooki (edited 05-18-2001).]

TheGreatButcher  (op)
Senior User
May 18, 2001, 11:50 AM

Sounds4Fun works awesome but it conflicts with Apple DVD Player

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2001, 12:25 PM

APM Tuner: Power Management for the PowerBook