Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How to open/upgrade Power Mac 8500

How to open/upgrade Power Mac 8500
jfwjxn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2003, 04:46 PM

I have a power macintosh 8500/120 which I would like to add more RAM to, and I can't figure how to get to the motherboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.
iBook 800 640/30/Combo/12"
Power Macintosh G3 300-1/256/30
WGS 6150/60 240-G3/72/500
Power Macintosh G4 QS 02 800/896/120

Raymate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2003, 05:25 PM

On the rear panel you will see four screws in each corner, unscrew them all (they dont come all the was out) remove the case by sliding forward.

Turn the 8500 onto its side so you can see the processor, gentle pull this out (upwards). Turn the Mac back onto it feets.

Then on the side you have a plastic surrround that has one screw in the middle (this holds the logic board in place) take that out. You can remove the platsic if you want but not needed.

Remove the power acutator at the front this has two clips holding it in.

Along the top of the logic board you have a number of cables connected to the logic board, pull them all out carfully.

The logic board sould now be free to slide towards the front on the Mac it should then pull out, two plastic guides keep it in place so you need to slide it forward enough to clear them.

The board will be free for you to lay on a flat surface and insert the memory.

Put the memory into the slots three or four times this help clean the contacts a little at dust and dirt will have gathered on the contacts on the logic board. And this will help the memory work first time. As it's a pig to take apart and put back together only to find the memory dont show up.

Put it all back together.

Hope that helps.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2003, 10:45 PM

Worst case design in history IMO. Good luck.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2003, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Raymate:
additional, if you have any expantion cards (vid cards etc.) you also have to remove these before the mother board will slide along and come out.
The 9500 was even worse, it was basicaly the same case, just taller. Any problem's that existed in the 8500 case where just made worse.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 3, 2003, 10:48 AM

It looks ghetto too.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2003, 11:11 AM

I think I've been to a web site before that had instructions for taking apart quite a few Macs. I don't remember the addy, does anyone know what site I'm talking about?

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 10:50 AM

Make sure you have some Band-Aids handy too. My 8500 always draws blood every time I add RAM.
Besides the tips from Raymate, pull the cable from the A/V module - essentially, disconnect anything hooked to the Mobo. After you've done it a few times, it'll only take a half hour or so to do all this.
When you're done, pay note to the 2 SCSI connectors on the top of the Mobo - one is 5M/Sec, the other is 10 M/Sec - hook HDDs to the fast one, opticals/zips/externals on the slow one.

PM8500/G3-454/OS 9.1/704 MB EDO 60ns RAM/56.8 MHz bus
9GB IBM UltraStar, 2GB Quantum Atlas SCSI int/60GB Firewire(music)
replaced CD-ROM w/ Plextor CDR-820
Pulled floppy, hacked in Zip100
4MB VRAM/8MB iX Micro UltRez3D
17"/20" Sony monitors
USB card/ FireWire card
Logitech Z-340 2.1 speaker set

I still use it daily, but it's slowly being replaced by my 12" iBook 800 Combo. Gonna take it home and set up a legacy media station since my scanners and such don't like my G4 Mystic duallie there.

Z

Forum Links
Forum Rules