Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Bring on the Panther Themes

Bring on the Panther Themes
Spaztik
Oct 8, 2003, 10:24 AM

With the announcement of Panther coming October 24th, are the theme developers going to release any themes updated for Panther.

Come on Max, I need you're smoothstripes! I am running Panther right now, and I can't stand the ugly scroll bars, widgets and progress bars! SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!

If the authors didn't make any Panther updates, has anyone taken the time to actually port smoothstripes to Panther yet?
"Once you go Max, you never go bax!"

ARENA
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Spaztik:
I am running Panther right now, and I can't stand the ugly scroll bars, widgets and progress bars! SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!
My feelings exactlty! Come on Max with Panther versions of your awesome themes!

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Oct 8, 2003, 11:43 AM

Glad you like em so much. I'm testing different solutions with SS in Panther. First issue is the x-+ widgets. I have made my widgets into the same shape of the Panther widgets and I think that that would work.
Second thing I'm thinking about. Do you want the Panther SS to be 96% white, or 93% white 96% toolbar areas? In other words, would you like it to look like it does now, or should it be Panther minus stripes? I'd be happy to hear any suggestions.
And, no I would not want any one else to port SS to Panther, I will do it myself.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
Glad you like em so much. I'm testing different solutions with SS in Panther. First issue is the x-+ widgets. I have made my widgets into the same shape of the Panther widgets and I think that that would work.
Second thing I'm thinking about. Do you want the Panther SS to be 96% white, or 93% white 96% toolbar areas? In other words, would you like it to look like it does now, or should it be Panther minus stripes? I'd be happy to hear any suggestions.
And, no I would not want any one else to port SS to Panther, I will do it myself.
I'm liking the contrast of the Panther color scheme, so i think that a "Panther minus sripes" Smooth stripes would be the best.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by ARENA:
I'm liking the contrast of the Panther color scheme, so i think that a "Panther minus sripes" Smooth stripes would be the best.
agreed! and please fix all the widgets/scrollbars/progress bars that they (once again) forgot about. uh yeah, and the title bar!!

wooohooo, can�t wait for a decent max-fixup for panther!!! ... gloss ... i want more of that GLOSS!
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:45 PM

A fast and sloppy way is to use theme fur on a Jag theme, only a few things don't get ported right.
click one

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 8, 2003, 03:58 PM

I've had a Panther minus the stripes theme out since the first dev version of Panther was released.

Not really hard to do .

Weezer
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 04:42 PM

I think I would prefer smoothstripes to look the way it does now, rather than the higher contrast panther look.

smeger
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 04:46 PM

I've been working on an auto-converter to move themes from Panther to Jaguar for the last few days. There's nothing technically difficult about doing it, just a lot of tedium for me in writing it.

I expect it'll be ready before Panther's official release.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

ambush
Banned
Oct 8, 2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I've had a Panther minus the stripes theme out since the first dev version of Panther was released.

Not really hard to do .

Are you going to post you stripeless theme in every damn thread?

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 8, 2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Are you going to post you stripeless theme in every damn thread?
Er threads about posting Panther themes..

What is the problem ambush?

catsank
Oct 8, 2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Er threads about posting Panther themes..

What is the problem ambush?

Stripes always drive Zimphire insane...

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 8, 2003, 07:25 PM

Yup.

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 11:39 PM

Max

I would really love to see something like BlackMilk in panther but with a black-jewel Apple Menu apple instead of the flat black apple... hmmm I hope I said that right?
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 12:30 AM

Just ThemeFured SSpro again for the latest Panther build that should be the GM.
Anyway here are some screens (click for full 1280x1024 screens):
Looking good except for brushed Finder:

A small bug with the save window in Photoshop:

Mainly all that needs to be redone is the tabs.
click one

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Oct 9, 2003, 06:32 AM

I'll see what I'll do. I've made a stripe-less Panther theme, and it's really hard to see a real difference from the stripes since they are so subtle, at least on my monitor. But I'll see what I'll do.
I'm working on the x-+ buttons right now.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 11:39 AM

I barely see the stripes as well on my iBook, even when i ran it through VNC onto my PC with my sony monitor the stripes were hardly noticeable. I'd like to see a port of FatalE... yeah

I'll see what I'll do. I've made a stripe-less Panther theme, and it's really hard to see a real difference from the stripes since they are so subtle, at least on my monitor. But I'll see what I'll do.
I'm working on the x-+ buttons right now.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 11:59 AM

I'd like to see some sunken widgets, like the push/pop-up buttons, I like them. Em, Panther's colour scheme is pretty damn nice for me, I like the varied tones of grey and stripes, nicely done. Some of the icons are questionable though, as well as the overly varied use of widgets.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2003, 01:10 PM

Max- You MUST port Milk! You don't have to change anything, just make it compatible!
PLEASE?

Ok, I know it's not a priority and not that many people use it but think about it!? I use it ALL THE TIME!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Oct 9, 2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
Max- You MUST port Milk! You don't have to change anything, just make it compatible!
PLEASE?

Ok, I know it's not a priority and not that many people use it but think about it!? I use it ALL THE TIME!
I will port all the themes that look good in Panther. I think Milk wont be a problem. Aluminum Alloy is a different story though, but I think all themes will be possible to port correctly after a while.

kingskel
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 03:27 PM

I have to second the request for milk. I'm on an ibook and imac, and milk goes great with both!

Max, I wanted to ask - did you ever have any plans to make an milk itunes skin? If no, could you suggest how I would go about it (not to distribute, just for personal use)? Safari looks so much better with milk, and I use itunes just as much...

khufuu
Oct 9, 2003, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Naz:
Max

I would really love to see something like BlackMilk in panther but with a black-jewel Apple Menu apple instead of the flat black apple... hmmm I hope I said that right?
ditto

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by kingskel:
Max, I wanted to ask - did you ever have any plans to make an milk itunes skin? If no, could you suggest how I would go about it (not to distribute, just for personal use)? Safari looks so much better with milk, and I use itunes just as much...
An iTunes Milk Would be very difficult (IMHO). iTunes uses a built in Metal theme, it's also built more like an OS9 app of old with all the graphic files hidden within a resource fork/file. These 2 things and the fact that even if you do manage to change the background, the 'hi-light gradient' is hardcoded into the app, makes me think that a nice 'plain' theme like Milk will never end up in iTunes.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 07:41 PM

Behold my fast themefur ports of Milk and Aluminum Alloy to Panther!

Click for full 1280x1024 screens:

Milk:

AA:

Milk looks almost right, just needs new tabs and finder buttons. Though I'm still getting the save box bug with all my ports.
click one

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2003, 02:34 AM

Ok, I have found (i think) the extras.rsrc needed for themefur. However, what program are you using to change the themes? I tried themechanger a while back, and it just gave me errors. Can someone throw a quick tutorial for doing this? (in B85)

Thanks,
cs
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Behold my fast themefur ports of Milk and Aluminum Alloy to Panther!

Click for full 1280x1024 screens:

Milk:

AA:

Milk looks almost right, just needs new tabs and finder buttons. Though I'm still getting the save box bug with all my ports.
can you upload the milk one to the users moded section on max's forums? this panther theme is killing me

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Oct 10, 2003, 06:36 AM

I wont waste my time making iTunes skins because the result would be very disappointing.

If you want to run a theme on Panther, use ThemeFur like NetworkShadow suggested. Or wait for Smegers updated tool.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 12:29 PM

Hay Max, is it ok if I upload it to your user mods section? I'll do that if you're ok with it, but it's also easy to use themefur.
click one

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 06:01 PM

i have used themefur i guess i am doing something really wrong b/c i keep having to reinstall :/

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 07:05 PM

You aren't the only one.....

Originally posted by Kujo:
i have used themefur i guess i am doing something really wrong b/c i keep having to reinstall :/

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
You aren't the only one.....
it seems to be different then other builds b/c this use to work. and its obviously working or other people so i dont know whats up.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 09:08 PM

Just apply the Extras.rsrc and nothing else from the theme, and ignore themechanger when it says it's not compatible with your OS. If you're using the Panther Extras.rsrc there shouldn't be a problem.
click one

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 10:24 PM

Just apply the Extras.rsrc and nothing else from the theme, and ignore themechanger when it says it's not compatible with your OS. If you're using the Panther Extras.rsrc there shouldn't be a problem.
that is what i have done :/

smeger
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 11:10 PM

For people having problems with using Theme Fur to apply themes in Panther prerelease OSes, please remember that Theme Fur was intended to move OS X 10.1 themes to OS X 10.2 Jaguar and was not designed for Panther compatibiility. If it happens to work, cool, but you're totally and completely on your own. I personally don't think it's a very good idea to try it.

Geekspiff will provide a certified technique of transitioning themes to Panther. If you can handle Aqua for a week or two, I recommend you hang tight.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Oct 11, 2003, 08:38 AM

Hay Max, is it ok if I upload it to your user mods section? I'll do that if you're ok with it, but it's also easy to use themefur.
I don't want any Panther updated themes in the modded section. I think that either you wait for Smegers new tool, or wait for me to update the themes.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 03:20 PM

I don't want any Panther updated themes in the modded section. I think that either you wait for Smegers new tool, or wait for me to update the themes.
'

Makes sence since they are kinda just messy ports. If anyone can't wait just try themefur.
click one

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2003, 08:31 PM

i have twice.. i guess i am stuck for now.

Spaztik  (op)
Oct 12, 2003, 08:18 AM

Max, do you think you could make the Panther smoothstripes a grey tint instead of pure white like in the past?

I really like the toned down GUI of Panther, but I don't want stripes and I don't want those obsolete widgets ect.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2003, 09:00 AM

Max, do you think you could make the Panther smoothstripes a grey tint instead of pure white like in the past?

I really like the toned down GUI of Panther, but I don't want stripes and I don't want those obsolete widgets ect.
Which obsolete widgets are you talking about? Panther has the new sunken ones from apple...
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 03:26 PM

have you tried pro plastic?

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Oct 13, 2003, 04:02 AM

As I have it now, SS Panther is 94% white and 97% in the toolbar areas. So that's a bit more toned down than SS and it's basically Panther minus stripes.

Spaztik  (op)
Oct 13, 2003, 07:37 AM

That sounds awesome Max! You rock!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2003, 11:14 AM

Replying to the close thread

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=181857

You still get that gradient that messes with themes, and you can't have any colors in the texture. If you ask me I think the Unsanity haxie will be the way to go.
I left the gradient in on purpose, not that I can't get rid of the gradient. It gives it a metal look. Here is a comparison with gradient and without.

[ bigger ]

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 11:15 AM

bOOzo: Do you have an estimated date when the themes will be available (mostly Aqua Extreme)? Don't want to rush you or anything, I just want to know if I should do my own mods in the mean-time, or just wait for your proper ports

timdorr
Oct 18, 2003, 10:28 PM

Hey max and other themers, what tool are you using to make your themes under Panther? I can't seem to get at the tab panes to change them. What should I do?

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Oct 19, 2003, 07:04 AM

SmoothStripes and Aqua Extreme should be out for the official release of Panther, although the will probably be called Preview since I probably wont be able get some stuff right until Menu Enhancer is updated for Panther.

tomdorr - open the Extras.rsrc directly instead of creating a new theme and you will be presented with all the images used. This is what the Extras.rsrc look like and you will have to wait until there is an update for themepark if you want to use the sorted theme template under Panther.

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 19, 2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by timdorr:
Hey max and other themers, what tool are you using to make your themes under Panther? I can't seem to get at the tab panes to change them. What should I do?
Im gonna hold off on the updates to Panther until Panther is available. Smeger is in the process of completing a utility which will allow me to update to Panther compatibility the easiest. After this there are a some new elements I will have to design which are new for Panther. This will be rather easy compared to the biggest issue facing Panther updates which is the Finder and its handling of certain resources.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 02:36 PM

One word for Finder: "Metallifizer.ape" works like a charm.
click one

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 19, 2003, 03:38 PM

One word for Finder: "Metallifizer.ape" works like a charm.
Really?!

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 01:16 AM

I was just looking at the color pallets of a ported theme and the non-ported jag version in theme park, and there are a lot more colors in Panther and theme fur doesn't seem to carry over any of the original colors at all, but at least text color isn't going to be a problem I don't think. But that's one thing themers are going to have to update in their themes.

Right now all the extra small resorces and the window color thing I found are the biggest things that will have to be worked around. Metal doesn't seem to be a huge issue anymore.
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules