Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > AUdio Update 1.2 is out, but problems...

AUdio Update 1.2 is out, but problems...
slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2000, 12:08 AM

The Software Update Control Panel is showing Audio Update 1.2, but about 1/2 way through the download, it says that it was not installed. Anyone else having this problem?

Scott

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2000, 12:23 AM

I'm guessing it's probably just traffic. I just tried to update to Quicktime 4.1 and had the same experience. I'll just wait it out and try again later.

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2000, 12:45 AM

I had no problems downloading either update earlier today (although this was before Audio Update was posted on any new site).

slboett  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2000, 12:45 AM

I ran on Mac OS 9 base set and it worked. I think that it was the Virex Control Panel (even though I had it "off").
Going to go see if the DVD sync issue is fixed!

Scott

PS - With the QT 4.1 update, keep hitting continue and the update will finish. It keeps a cache and will eventually grab the whole thing and finish the install!

NoUpdate
Jan 20, 2000, 12:54 AM

i'm having the same software update problem, not just with the audio update but with gamesprockets as well...as for the QT 4.1 i did the continue mewthod earlier today, when i was almost finished checked the box for web proxy, i didn't even fill out the form but it finished the install without anymore stalls. Lander

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2000, 12:47 PM

I just tried the audio update as well. With my normal extension set on, it didn't work, so i restarted with the OS 9 base and it worked without a hitch. Maybe that's the trick?

mfiske
Jan 20, 2000, 01:56 PM

Just DAYS ago, I successfully managed to download GameSprockets 1.7.3 via Mac OS 9's "Software Update" control panel. The download of GameSprockets was my first successful one using the new "technology," and now I fear it will also be my last...

Upon attempting to download/ install Mac OS 9 Audio Update 1.2, the DOWNLOAD process seems to work just fine. However, when the progress bar reaches about HALF, and the actual INSTALLATION begins, I am presented with the dialog "Some of the selected software updates were not installed."

As I had only selected just the ONE software update "that being Audio Update 1.2," this meant that absolutely NOTHING at all was installed. I am getting this HIGHLY frustrating message on BOTH OF MY NEW MACS (iMac 350 AND iBook). What seems to be the problem?

Mark.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2000, 01:58 PM

"Scott Boettcher (AKA slboett here at MacNN--moderator) found that, when trying to obtain Audio Update via the Software Update control panel, the download halted in midstream with an error that said "Some of the selected software updates were not installed." When I tried it, I got the exact same message. I then selected the "Update Now" button again, and it again indicated that I needed to download Audio Update 1.2. And again it failed. I checked my drive and all the 1.1 software was still there; nothing new had been installed.
I found a solution! I removed the Apple Audio Extension and USB Audio Extension files from my System Folder. When I then ran the Software Update control panel, it successfully installed the software. Oddly, when I looked at the two older extensions, only the Apple Audio file said that it was from Audio Update 1.1. The other said it was from "Mac OS CPU Software 2.0." Maybe this has something to do with it. Or maybe it is just another oddity in a day filled with such strangeness (see also the next item on Game Sprockets).
Other readers similarly solved this by restarting with just Mac OS 9 Base extensions installed and then running Software Update."

(from MacFixit)

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 01-20-2000).]

IronDuck
Jan 22, 2000, 02:09 AM

Apparently, software update does not like overwriting files. I had the same problem as many of you, and finally I just downloaded the full install from Apple.

Russ Harlan
Jan 22, 2000, 01:29 PM

Does anyone know if the Audio 1.2 update is NEEDED on non-PCI Macs? When I do get info it describes the Apple Audio extension as being for PCI Macs.

The reason I wonder is that when I enable this extension and am connected to the net through Remote Access, I get a hard freeze if I try to shut down or restart prior to disconnecting remote access.

Right now I have the extension disabled. Still, I thought this was supposed to be part of the fix for the DVD lip synch issue... which could ONLY be a problem on non PCI Macs, seeing as how they are the only ones playing DVD through software only.

Hmm.

Anyone? Anyone?

stangold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2000, 12:49 AM

Same problem here so I downloaded the complete install. Sadly this update with Quicktime 4.1 did not fix the DVD audio sync problem on my iMac DV. The update didn't seem to have any effect at all.

stangold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2000, 11:48 AM

I posted yesterday that DVD sound sync was still off after installing QT 4.1 and audio 1.2 update. I increased the memory on the DVD Player to 50 megs and the troublsome DVD audio played in sync for the first time. Try increasing the memory on the DVD Player. 50 meg is way overkill but see if that works for you.

Stan

Forum Links
Forum Rules