Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MacOS Monterey update

MacOS Monterey update
Thorzdad
Nov 1, 2021, 04:26 PM

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2021, 07:59 PM

Yeesh. Bad year for Apple software.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2021, 06:42 PM

My 2019 16in i7 survived the update. Hooray. Seems like a bit of a small uptick to jump from macOS 11 to 12. I guess we are on single shot version of macOS now, no more 11.2 etc.
Still looking for obvious differences, although generally performance seems good.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2021, 09:49 PM

Intel Macs. My M1 iMac updated fine.
45/47

Thorzdad  (op)
Nov 5, 2021, 04:47 PM

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 5, 2021, 05:47 PM

I’m still just getting used to Big Sur on my 2015 MBP, so Monterey is going to have to wait.

I am interested in what Monterey brings that Big Sur doesn’t, but I’m also willing to let other people deal with rollout issues.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 22, 2022, 08:08 PM

Now my MBP is bugging me to upgrade to Monterey. I don't see a lot of drawbacks, since my wife's MBA is running it. But it was built for Monterey, as it's an M1 machine.

So how is the upgrade process anymore?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2022, 12:00 PM

Went smoothly for me on my Intel stuff.

The two things I don’t like about it are Bluetooth will intermittently crap out (though it fixes itself after a few seconds), and in column view in the finder, if you’re inside a folder hierarchy and try to scroll left, after a second or two it automatically slides all the way back to the right. Total violation of basic Apple UI design principles. Steve would have kidney punched whoever did that.
( Last edited by subego; Apr 23, 2022 at 12:22 PM. )

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2022, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Went smoothly for me on my Intel stuff.

The two things I don’t like about it are Bluetooth will intermittently crap out (though it fixes itself after a few seconds), and in column view in the finder, if you’re inside a folder hierarchy and try to scroll left, after a second or two it automatically slides all the way back to the right. Total violation of basic Apple UI design principles. Steve would have kidney punched whoever did that.
I do not get that behaviour at all on mine. 16in i7 MBP
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2022, 01:23 AM

Hopefully it’s just a glitch then. It’s happening for me on a 2015 i7 iMac and an M1 Mini.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 24, 2022, 03:40 AM

subego, are you using a single BT accessory? Could be an issue with the accessory, rather than the OS. Either would count as a common element. Suggest testing it against a machine not using Monterey. If the accessory is an input device, that could also explain the odd Finder movements.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2022, 01:17 PM

The Finder behavior is unlikely related to the peripherals. iMac has an AWK and trackpad. M1 uses a dongle wireless keyboard and a Logitech MX.

To further clarify, the iMac is my daily driver, and someone else is using the M1. I have to ask if the Bluetooth flakes out on the M1, but I’ve seen the Finder problem happen on it.

P.S.: I don’t know if Bluetooth has a “sleep mode” to help conserve power, but if it does, I’d say it’s related. It mostly happens after a pause in activity.
( Last edited by subego; Apr 24, 2022 at 04:00 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 24, 2022, 05:07 PM

Mac Rumors has had discussions about Monterey Bluetooth waking issues since at least October '21.

A lot of people report that their Bluetooth System Preferences pane lacks the option to "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer." I'm not sure if your "Bluetooth craps out" is that a device doesn't wake up or the device doesn't wake the computer, but it seems like there's a Bluetooth issue in Monterey no matter what.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2022, 05:32 PM

No issues waking the computer thankfully.

The symptom is both the AWK and the trackpad will stop working for about three seconds, and then they’ll start working again. It can happen anytime, but it clusters around when I haven’t used either for a few minutes. This makes me think it might be partially related to some sort of Bluetooth energy saving feature.

I don’t get the “connected” alert when it happens, so I don’t think they’re totally dropping. More like something’s causing a short freeze.

It’s annoying, but well within tolerable for me. I generally like Monterey. At least it’s not fug like Big Sur.

Forum Links
Forum Rules