Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > What's a good gamepad?

What's a good gamepad?
Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2003, 01:57 AM

Was wanting to pick up a gamepad for my PB...and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a really good one. Comfortable, solid, high quality, and compatible with most if not all games.

Thanks!

Footy
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 11:49 PM

I've recently bought two game pads.

The first is the Logitech Dual Action which is nice for the price but it's a bit small for my hands. It's didn't automatically show up for use in the game I bought it for (Ghost Recon) but I own USB Overdrive and it ported the buttons just fine.

The second game bad I have is the Macally iShock II which I absolutely love. The handles are a bit larger and easier for me to hold on to. Also the Macally comes with some decent software too so you don't have to run out and spend the extra money on USB overdrive in order to use it.

One thing I've noticed about both game pads are the game pad sticks do not work well as a mouse. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with Panther. No matter if I use the iShocks software or USB Overdrive (which is supposed to be updated for Panther), neither seems to work well as far a mimicking the mouse in game. Other than that they are ok.

If I had to choose I'd pick the iShock ll as the game pad for me though.

Minty Fresh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2003, 04:12 PM

Thanks. I went to the Apple Store, and I picked up the Macally iShock II. Although it's slightly bigger than I like...it works well. Dual analog sticks, enough buttons...and it's worked with all the games I needed it to! I mainly wanted it for X2: Wolverine's Revenge, Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer, and Tony Hawk 4. When it comes to FPS games...I'll always use a mouse and k/b...it's the only way to go!

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 05:55 AM

I went out an bought a few adapters for console pads, as my favorite pad is the Game Cube pad.

Although I also have an iShock and Logitech Rumble Pads as well.

I find it depends on the game the iShock is great for Tony Hawk as I played it originally on the PS2 and the iShock has the same configuration keys.

hart
Senior User
Apr 27, 2004, 07:11 AM

Is it just me? I just broke off the left stick on my ishock II. I have little hands, I'm no brute. I have to go buy another controller so before I buy the same thing I'd appreciate a little feedback. Does this happen often on gamepads? I've only owned the ishock II.

Forum Links
Forum Rules