Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Performance diffenence between 1.33 & 1.5ghz

Performance diffenence between 1.33 & 1.5ghz
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2004, 03:06 PM

can someone give me some kind of real world speed difference between a Powerbook with a 1.33 and 1.5ghz processor?
I'm thinking that the difference shouldn't be dramatic but I could be mistaken.

happyware
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 04:32 PM

The 1.5Ghz is 13% faster in theory (based on Mhz) but the 1.5 also has other benefits:

It's most likely the last G4 powerbook and the fastest available which means it should hold it's value quite better.

The 1.5" Ghz has a superdrive
has the option for 128MB Video.
It also has a lighted keyboard which is overrated but a cool feature.

bamchum
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2004, 04:56 PM

In the real world?

You'd barely notice the difference.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by happyware:
[B]The 1.5Ghz is 13% faster in theory (based on Mhz) but the 1.5 also has other benefits:

It's most likely the last G4 powerbook and the fastest available which means it should hold it's value quite better.
/B]
It's not going to be the last. I reckon one more G4 update this year.

Remember the G5 might be able to go into a 17 inch by the end of the year but its going to be too hot for the 12 inch. So no move to the G5 until the whole line can. Expect the next 12 to be a 1.5Ghz G4, the next 15 and 17 will probably be 1.8Ghz or around there.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 05:27 PM

There are some other gotchas if you get the 1.33 GHz version:
  • 256 MB RAM vs. 512 MB
  • 64 MB VRMA vs. 128 MB VRAM option
  • Combo drive vs. SuperDrive
  • normal kb vs. kb w/ light sensor
Some of the above may not be directly tied to performance but may offer enough added value to make the 1.5 GHz model more attractive.

Olorin
Apr 21, 2004, 05:41 PM

basically on the same 167mhz bus i doubt there really is a difference lol
"Not all who wander are lost." ~ Gandalf

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 05:49 PM

Actually you can start with the 1.33 GHz book and custom it up to the 1.5 version. The difference is about $100 for the 13 percent processor speed increase.

I ordered the 1.5 with 2 gig RAM, 128 video, 5,400 hd. The 1.33 can be made exactly the same including backlit keyboard and superdrive for $100 less.

The question is do you want the fastest or not? Only you can say.

I drive a 575 Maranello. There are one or two cars as fast yet cost a whole lot less but I want a Ferrari. The cost is not the issue.

What do you want?

aehaas

vinster
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by aehaas:
I ordered the 1.5 with 2 gig RAM, 128 video, 5,400 hd. The 1.33 can be made exactly the same including backlit keyboard and superdrive for $100 less.
Apple's RAM prices are really expensive but since you already have a Ferrari I guess you can afford it.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 06:30 PM

Where can I buy the new RAM for the 1.5 GHZ? I only ordered mine with 512, I want to max it out but not at Apples expense.
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

vinster
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Cincojoe:
Where can I buy the new RAM for the 1.5 GHZ? I only ordered mine with 512, I want to max it out but not at Apples expense.
For maximum savings, I would have downgraded to 256 and then replaced that with 2x 1GB modules.

There are plenty of places to get RAM. I like www.crucial.com but I've heard good things about www.macsales.com as well.

Xestrel
Apr 21, 2004, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by vinster:
For maximum savings, I would have downgraded to 256 and then replaced that with 2x 1GB modules.

There are plenty of places to get RAM. I like www.crucial.com but I've heard good things about www.macsales.com as well.

Sadly, the apple store doesn't let you downgrade the ram from 512 to 256 on the 1.5 GHz... Can one accomplish this on the phone with a sales rep?

-Will

Forum Links
Forum Rules