Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > RC5 Settings? Way to low scores, faulty settings?

RC5 Settings? Way to low scores, faulty settings?
DrBoar
Senior User
Jan 28, 2007, 05:52 AM

The sticky FAQa at the team page are dead so I found no help there.
I have taken some old G3 and G4 boxes to RC5-OGR instead of F@H. The problem is that I get totaly different numbers at Distributedcomputing.net and at TeamMacNN.

Is the MacNN only RC-5-72? The default setting is do run both RC5 and OGR. There are currently only 21 memnbers were one of them contribute to 1/4 of the total CPU power of about 60 GHz.

My effort is reported at 105 MHz (it is acutally 266MHz G3+350 MHz G3). It seems to be a good option for low end CPUs so any help with configs is rewarded with more MHz

reader50
Administrator
Jan 28, 2007, 03:36 PM

Team MacNN only tracks the RC5-72 side. The interest in OGR has been consistently so low, that we never went there. For example, I've offered several times to extend stats to OGR. Each time, only one person expressed interest. A different person each time, but still only one.

You're probably seeing the low MHz estimate because only ~50% of your power is going to the RC5 side, and because the power estimate is based on a G4. Please be aware that dnetc provides altivec-optimized crunchers by default. The G4s/G5s outcrunch the G3s by far more than MHz would suggest.

It's hard to justify even RC5 today, because it's trying to crack a 72-bit scheme. While everyone has moved to 128-bit encryption.

DrBoar  (op)
Senior User
Jan 29, 2007, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the speedy reply, reader 50 and a big thanks for your work with the statpages at MacNN

I would prefer to run something else than RC5 as is it not real science (new knowledge) just digging out old info in a crypto. I have some boxes at worldcommunitygrid.org that run real science, I just miss not having a statpage on MacnNN, hint , hint

Annyhow I will keep my main effort on F@H, they say that making the first million is the hardest so it can only get better now

Forum Links
Forum Rules