Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > I want to run Folding.......

I want to run Folding.......
mac1896
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2007, 07:22 PM

I went over to the team page to see what was a high threat to us, found this:

http://teamstats.macnn.com/fold/stats.php

I can't attach to it through BOINC, so I'll assume for now that it is a stand-alone client.

I also noted that the "Opportunity Level" is almost non-existant. Does this cut me out of the F@H workload ?

Is this "Threat Level" unrecoverable at this stage ?

I've got dual G4s @ 1.8 GHz running Rosetta right now, 24/7, but will gladly go where I need to be to help pick up the pace...

Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

reader50
Administrator
Feb 23, 2007, 07:55 PM

Folding@home is a standalone project. They talk about doing a BOINC version every now and then, but nothing has come of it yet. On the plus side, it uses a heavily altivec'd client.

The team Threat / Opportunity bars come from this page. Threats are high because rival teams are getting ready to pass. Opportunity shows low because we aren't outcrunching anyone ahead of us. At least, no one very close.

Any threat can be delt with, but the computing resources needed could be high. We'd need to at least quadruple our Folding production to stop the two jokers coming up behind us. I'm currently crunching full time on Predictor for benchmarking purposes, and will remain there until the middle of next week, so I can't jump in personally until then. Pity, since I could otherwise bring 4-6 GHz of reinforcements. Assuming Kevin keeps his distance in Einstein, of course.

This could get complicated ...

ChillyWilly5280
Feb 23, 2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by mac1896 View Post

I've got dual G4s @ 1.8 GHz...
Is each CPU running at 1.8 GHz? If so, how did you accomplish that?

Chris

mac1896  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by ChillyWilly5280 View Post
Is each CPU running at 1.8 GHz? If so, how did you accomplish that?

Chris
Bought the upgrade about a year ago, a bit pricey considering the cost of a Mini, but my DA is way more expandable....

I've actually OC'ed it (jumpers on the processor board) to 2GHz apiece, but had anomalies show up on the screen and in my data.
Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2007, 11:48 AM

Keep your dual G4 on BOINC.

Intel CPU with the SMP client is what we need. They produce 5 times the points of non SMP.
Right now the whole team is running at the pace of 12/14 dual Intel CPUs, two of them are mine. Lame...

There is currently no Windows SMP client but there is a Unix one, so we have an opportunity to shine. Rumor is they will tweak the point system soon though.
Please join Team MacNN BOINC and Folding teams!
No more wasted CPU cycles!

DrBoar
Senior User
Feb 28, 2007, 08:43 AM

OK I will get my intel dual core mini on the SMP client. Currently I use InCrease to run two separate clients. We also have several dual core windows boxes heading this way, so I will try to get some of them to be my slaves 24/7 If I want to reach the top 3 in the team this year I really need more GHz

zombie67
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 12:09 AM

After just dabbling with F@H over the past couple of years, I've decided to really apply some serious effort. Looks like we need it too. In about two months, we will drop from 61 to 62 if nothing changes. The addition of the WinSMP client will hurt us. Up until now, only Intel Macs and 64 bit linux had them.

So far, I have moved the following from BOINC to F@H:

o 1.25ghz G4 PowerBook
o 1.33ghz G4 iBook
o 1.8ghz G5 iMac
o 2.16ghz Core Duo MacBook Pro, running MacSMP client
o Dual Xeon 5060 (Dual-core 3.2ghz w/ HT (8 threads)), running *two* WinSMP clients
o Pentium D 945 (OC from 3.4ghz to 4.35ghz) w/ X1950XTX, running the Win client on one core, and the WinGPU on the other core
o C2D E6600 running WinSMP client

That's a good start.

Who's next to step up?
( Last edited by zombie67; Mar 21, 2007 at 12:18 AM. )

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 10:30 AM

Just signed up!

Forum Links
Forum Rules