Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Bad Dual G4/1GHz cpu... repair question.

Bad Dual G4/1GHz cpu... repair question.
dickshoulders
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 06:35 PM

Is it possible to repair a non-working cpu? Are there certain components on the daughtercard that usually go bad? If so, can they be replaced?
I always see non-working processors selling on eB*y, sometimes for more than I would expect. Why do they command such prices?

Thanks!
Regards from sunny Northern California,
Dick Shoulders

DrBoar
Senior User
Mar 14, 2007, 12:18 PM

If the CP is dead its dead. If components on the CPU card are dead you "can" repair if you know what you are doing and are good at desolder and solder SMDs.

dickshoulders  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2007, 04:43 PM

When I tried to boot the Mac w/ this processor, a burning PCB smell emitted almost instantly, not from the daughtercard, but from the logic board. The smell seemed to be coming from the area next to the processor, near the edge of the Logic bd close to where the fan power connects.

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by dickshoulders View Post
When I tried to boot the Mac w/ this processor, a burning PCB smell emitted almost instantly, not from the daughtercard, but from the logic board. The smell seemed to be coming from the area next to the processor, near the edge of the Logic bd close to where the fan power connects.
If it is a logic board problem, then you are stuck without a paddle.

1) Did you reset your PMU/PRAM?
2) Could you have a bad capacitor?

If all else fails, then your logic board is probably RIP.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

dickshoulders  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2007, 03:54 AM

Nah... logic bd is still okay... using it now (w/ different processor, of course).
Bad cap on daughtercard or logic bd?

Forum Links
Forum Rules