Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Powermac G4 MDD Booting Problems

Powermac G4 MDD Booting Problems
DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2007, 06:40 AM

Hello all-

I am having some interesting issues with my Powermac G4. The problems started when I was transferring information from my MDD machine to a friend's new 2.4GHz Macbook Pro. Essentially during a large transfer (~60GB) on a shared ethernet connection, the monitor went black and the computer failed to restart correctly (it would hang during booting). I was unable to get the computer to successfully boot into OS X and used my Tiger Disc to repair the hard drive. While booted from the Install Disc, I selected the 10.4.10 drive to boot off of and hit a kernel panic. When I attempted to restart, I was met with an odd chime. After this, the computer failed to display anything on the monitor while the the booting sounds are normal and the USB devices never receive power. I reseted the PMU by disconnecting everything (power and peripherals) and the third or fourth restart booted OS X perfectly. I then used the computer for an hour or so and everything was working properly. During this time, I installed TechTool Deluxe and everything checked out perfectly, until the computer had another kernel panic. TechTool deluxe, at the time, was performing a surface scan of my boot drive. The kernel panic occurred immediately after I connected the firewire cable from my Macbook (which at the time was booted in Target Disk Mode) to my Powermac. Now I seem to be running into the same problems and the computer doesn't display video as it boots. Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I hoped to use the mac as a media hub in the very near future with an HDTV.

Thanks in advance.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

DBvader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2007, 06:46 AM

to further clarify: during the TechTools diag, the RAM, CPU, and video RAM all checked out perfectly.

DBvader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2007, 08:09 AM

Well, after a bit more research, I think the problem was a faulty piece of RAM. I found out that when you completely power off the system, it will emit a certain amount of beeps corresponding to a problem with the RAM. I tested each piece individually and apparently the one that came with the computer no longer works. The computer seemed to function properly with an XOR of the three remaining sticks. I guess I only have 768 MB RAM now...but at least a functional computer. I hope this solves all my problems...at least with the powermac, that is.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 09:12 AM

I am so glad we could help!
Seriously, I am glad you figured it out!

Forum Links
Forum Rules