Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Should there be an "Old School Mac Users" forum?

View Poll Results: Should we have a private forum for Old School Mac users?
Poll Options:
Yes! 12 votes (37.50%)
No! 6 votes (18.75%)
Of course not, we should help the PC traitors, even if they are defecting to our side 2 votes (6.25%)
Uhh, I don't care, you a**hole. 12 votes (37.50%)
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll
Should there be an "Old School Mac Users" forum?
timmerk
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2008, 11:09 PM

Old school Mac users - the originals - are elitists. We should have our own forum. We stuck with Apple through the hard times and should be rewarded.

So, should we have a private Old School Mac Users forum? We can have a simple test for membership.. like registered on these forums before 2003, or a System 7 question, etc.
( Last edited by timmerk; Feb 4, 2008 at 11:15 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2008, 11:26 PM

Everytime I see a member that says that OS X was the first version of Mac OS they used, I die a little bit inside.

Macenstien's Mac Chick of the Month does most the killing actually.

• First Apple product you bought: iPod Nano 8 GB
Yeah. "Mac Chick." If her first Apple purchase wasn't a Mac, don't bother...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

davidflas
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 12:03 AM

My first Mac was a Power Computing Powerwave 604/132, can I still be in the club?
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by davidflas View Post
My first Mac was a Power Computing Powerwave 604/132, can I still be in the club?
Buying a Macintosh during Apple's dark days? I think that counts.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Railroader
Banned
Feb 5, 2008, 01:17 AM

I'd vote: "Yes, go away to your own private forum you elitist jerks.", but that is not an option.

Seriously, you think you're special because of an operating system you used to use? I'll agree. You certainly are "special".

Patrick
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by timmerk View Post
We can have a simple test for membership.. like registered on these forums before 2003, or a System 7 question, etc.
Ah, that's easy. How about system 6? Or earlier?

I remember playing games on a Macintosh 512k when I was a kid. Now that's old school.

Uriel
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2008, 01:36 AM

Scarab of Ra, nuff said.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 02:15 AM

Oldest Macintosh game I ever played was Mouse Stampede, released in 1984. I actually just downloaded a bunch of old games like that for an emulator… those 512x384 games were fun.
( Last edited by Patrick; Feb 5, 2008 at 02:29 AM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 02:28 AM

Mini vMac has a speed limiter that will slow the emulation down to the speed of an actual Mac Plus. Just hit Control-S and choose the speed you want.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 03:22 AM

I've been a Mac user for only five years. My first Mac was an iBook.

So I'm not a long-time Mac user. Big deal. The only reason that I didn't switch before is because I was completely uneducated concerning most things tech, and cared more about listening to music, playing basketball, and trying to win over a girlfriend.

If people want to be snooty and start a private forum, then good luck with that. It sounds like an den of pretentiousness, and I wouldn't want to be involved with it even if I'd been around during the "dark years."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2008, 05:48 AM

It's strange, but I'm actually happy when people say their first Macs ran OS X. It's a visible sign that the platform is truly growing. I'm proud that my family purchased our first Mac 17 years ago, but I hope you're joking when you say long time Mac use makes you feel like part of an elite subset of the Mac population.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Feb 5, 2008, 06:59 AM

I agree, Big Mac. I hate it when people claim that `you're not a true Mac Head, because you haven't used System 7.5.1.' It's a sign the Mac is growing into a markets it hadn't been before -- and that we're getting old

My first Mac ran OS 8.0, it was a beautiful and superfast PowerBook G3 Kanga with whopping 96 MB RAM and a 5 GB harddrive (huge even when compared to your average desktop at that time).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 11:09 AM

My first OS was System 6. It would have been earlier but I'm not that old. One of my favorite Macs was my trusty Centris 650 @ 25 mhz with a cartridge cd-rom!!

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2008, 11:13 AM

We need a MacNN Lounge Pro.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 11:43 AM

We are already elitist enough by being Mac users in the first place.

That said my first Mac was a 7200 with system 7. Photoshop 4 all the way!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It's strange, but I'm actually happy when people say their first Macs ran OS X. It's a visible sign that the platform is truly growing. I'm proud that my family purchased our first Mac 17 years ago, but I hope you're joking when you say long time Mac use makes you feel like part of an elite subset of the Mac population.
Of course it's a good thing. I'm just joking really. Although it is kind of weird for me. I'm only 21, but I started using the Mac at a really young age, so it makes me feel old when people say that they started with OS X.

6.05 with dual floppies all the way.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 03:49 PM

Born (1984 no less) with an Apple //e at home, since then have used (at home or personally):

Macintosh 512K
Mac Plus
Mac SE (the best part was the ginormous, 40-pound 20 MB external HD)
Mac IIci (can't tell you how exciting it was to get color)
Power Mac 7200/90 ("Computer, tell me a joke")
PowerBook 540c (totally dropped it/broke it when I was a kid)
Power Mac G3 (beige tower) (G3 vs. Intel snail)
Power Mac G4 cube (Cool design, pain in the butt to use)
iMac (lampshade) (still at home)
Pismo (probably the most overall solid laptop I've ever used, amazing design)
TiBook (also very solid)
12" PowerBook (got me through most of college)
MacBook (original) (what I use now, had lots of problems with it though)

James L
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 04:00 PM

Does anyone actually feel better about themselves because they have used a specific computer platform for a lengthy period of time?

That would just be... sad.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 04:02 PM

Agreed.

The question to ask is why people use a Mac. Do we use it because it makes us feel special that we're different, and we want to continue along in that distinction, even if that means Apple as a company is not wildly successful? Or do we use it because we feel it is a superior product, and we want Apple to flourish because of that?

I think some people fall into the former category.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 04:06 PM

I use MAC™ because Windows disagrees with me at every turn.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Agreed.

The question to ask is why people use a Mac. Do we use it because it makes us feel special that we're different, and we want to continue along in that distinction, even if that means Apple as a company is not wildly successful? Or do we use it because we feel it is a superior product, and we want Apple to flourish because of that?

I think some people fall into the former category.
I've used Macs since the late 80's (and through some hard times)
For me, I think Apple makes a superior product and I want Apple to flourish because of that.
Granted, no OS is perfect, but for me this is a close as it comes.

My prior computers were an IBM with DOS, Amigas, Vic-20s, a C-64 and a PET + an old PDP8/e from DEC. When I first used a Mac my mind was blown and I was sold on Apple.

As for a separate Old School Mac forum, I am not so sure.
I doubt we need more fractured elitists in an already elitist group. Unless of course I am made the elite president.
But how about a nice silver star or medal to indicate that we kept Apple alive when it was written off for dead?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

vexborg
Senior User
Feb 6, 2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Ah, that's easy. How about system 6? Or earlier?

I remember playing games on a Macintosh 512k when I was a kid. Now that's old school.
Ah, the good old 512K, I had one together with an external 20Mb harddrive (SC20 I think it was called), still remember playing Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy...
( Last edited by vexborg; Feb 6, 2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Just remembered that it was a Mac Plus, sorry.)
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

Koralatov
Senior User
Feb 6, 2008, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
If people want to be snooty and start a private forum, then good luck with that. It sounds like an den of pretentiousness, and I wouldn't want to be involved with it even if I'd been around during the "dark years."
I second that. I used Macs in high school (one of the System 7s), but I was a Windows/DOS man at home (though I really had no option, as the computers were my dad's). Personally, I really wouldn't want anything to do with a forum like that--it would just be a bunch of self-congratulatory posts as people slowly disappeared up their own backsides.

Sadly, I don't think they are joking--I think they genuinely view themselves as somehow better than people like me who 'only' started using OSX. You're right, though: people who only started using Macs post-OSX shows that there is growth within the Mac-using community. Without people like that, the community would gradually descend into an ever-decreasing group of people high-fiving each other for using an OS since way-back-when.

It also brings up the question of whether or not we should have a private forum for people who only use PPC Macs. I mean, I don't own or use any Intels, so surely I must be better than these Intel-using carpetbaggers?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2008, 05:43 PM

Cheapskates and die-hard PPC fans would be the only people in such a forum.

I'd be the former.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
It also brings up the question of whether or not we should have a private forum for people who only use PPC Macs. I mean, I don't own or use any Intels, so surely I must be better than these Intel-using carpetbaggers?
Pffffff. Real Mac users use the 68k.

OreoCookie
Feb 6, 2008, 06:11 PM

Pfff, not only Macs used the 68k

Amiga forever!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Koralatov
Senior User
Feb 6, 2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Cheapskates and die-hard PPC fans would be the only people in such a forum.

I'd be the former.
You're forgetting the "design whore" group--all of my Macs were bought specifically because of their industrial design. I could probably have got much more modern ones for roughly the same as I spent on them, but the late G3/G4-era was Apple's design pinnacle.

That said, I would have no qualms about ditching PPC in a second if they brought out a 20" or 24" Intel iMac in the G4 iMac form-factor. (Yeah, I know, nice dream.)

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2008, 12:39 AM

You guys must be forgetting the 68k Mac Liberation Army.

Index - 68kMLA Forums

Enjoy.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Feb 7, 2008, 01:09 AM

My family had the original Macintosh, but the first computer I bought for myself was a Quadra 840 AV, and then the Power Mac 8500 a few years later.

Tiresias
Feb 7, 2008, 11:17 AM

No.

Forum Links
Forum Rules