Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > New Safari beta for Mountain Lion, Mavericks users available

New Safari beta for Mountain Lion, Mavericks users available
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 18, 2014, 11:18 PM

Following its release earlier today of a 10.9.3 Mavericks preview and iTunes 11.1.6 beta, Apple has added new Safari betas for developers to test. The pre-release builds, versions 6.1.3 and 7.0.3 (Lion/Mountain Lion and Mavericks, respectively), are expected to accompany the release of OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 when it emerges from beta.

In the release notes, Apple asks developers to focus testing on general website compatibility, Safari Push Notifications, login autofill and extension compatibility. For the Mavericks version, developers are also asked to test credit card autofill, a feature found in the iCloud Keychain.

Apple has been winding down support for the four-year-old OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and is not expected to continue providing updates for that OS version with the exception of security and potentially some iTunes/QuickTime updates. It began omitting Snow Leopard from Safari updates last September with version 5.1.10.

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2014, 11:34 PM

I had too many problems with Safari and was forced to abandon the bug-ridden mess.
Chrome works much better for my purposes.
( Last edited by auto_immune; Mar 21, 2014 at 12:22 AM. Reason: spelled too prpoerly)

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2014, 05:45 AM

Have not had any problems whatsoever with Safari after 13 years, but glad you found an alternative that works for you.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

pairof9s
Senior User
Mar 19, 2014, 11:12 AM

Agree...I like Chrome but I've never had any issue with Safari so it remains my default.

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2014, 12:04 PM

I have not really heard of any real problems with Safari, but in my case there were so many problems it was unuseable.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 19, 2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by auto_immune View Post
I have not really heard of any real problems with Safari, but in my case there were so many problems it was unuseable.
Curious- what did you run into?

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2014, 12:22 AM

My main problem was maddeningly s l o w page loading times, as well as some infrequent freezing incidents.

I only used Safari for mail and facebook, and to watch video that Firefox would not play due to very tight settings on Adblock Plus and Ghostery.

I did not run any extensions on Safari. To be fair, I had the same problem with very slow page loads on Chrome until I installed Adblock plus and Ghostery. Now Chrome is even more appealing because it is snappier than Firefox with the extensions added. Chrome even has an extension that fixes the sites that Ghostery breaks.

James

Forum Links
Forum Rules