Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Malaysian Airlines (crash?)

Malaysian Airlines (crash?) (Page 2)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2014, 09:03 PM

Bless her drug-addled heart, at least she's trying.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mindwaves  (op)
Mar 20, 2014, 10:36 AM

They may have found debris from the airplane off Australia, which is consistent with the airplane taking 6 hours from the last contact.

I kind of hope that it is the airplane so people can get comforted. But kind of not hope because that would mean everyone is dead and under water.

mindwaves  (op)
Mar 23, 2014, 03:18 AM

Seems that not many care about this biggest aviation disaster of the modern era. I wake up every morning and carefully scan the headlines hoping to hear some sort of conclusion for this plane. And no, I have no ties to any of the families or the airlines. Just a big puzzle that I hope gets solved.

I still think Indian Ocean or east Africa.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 23, 2014, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Seems that not many care about this biggest aviation disaster of the modern era.
People on these forums, or people in general?

Last I heard everyone was complaining that the 24 hour news networks are basically ignoring war breaking out in Europe to spend 23 hours per day repeating the news that there are no new plane debris findings.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 23, 2014, 04:00 AM

Based on the views for this thread, everyone is interested. There just isn't a lot of news to report. I check every new post, in case they've found something.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2014, 11:18 AM

The Malaysian government is saying all lives were lost:

Flight 370 passenger's relative: 'All lives are lost' - CNN.com

very tragic.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2014, 11:25 AM

Did they ACTUALLY confirm with a ID number on the wing, black box, or some other verifiable item, or are they just trying to give up looking at this time?

andi*pandi
Mar 24, 2014, 11:35 AM

From what I read, the US is going to bring in a black box detector, so no, they haven't found anything yet. Some "debris" but nothing identifiable.

One theory I read is that there was some kind of electrical problem, so the pilot dropped the altitude, pilot lost consciousness, and then autopilot took over and drove the plane toward australia. ?? does that even make sense?

P
Mar 24, 2014, 11:39 AM

Almost no details given. It seems that someone (apparently the UK) has managed to put together a convincing story of what happened, but that this story is not being released yet.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2014, 12:09 PM

Yeah. Me too. I'd give you details but I'm not going to.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 24, 2014, 01:02 PM

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2014, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Did they ACTUALLY confirm with a ID number on the wing, black box, or some other verifiable item, or are they just trying to give up looking at this time?
It sounds like they're just giving up.

But I still believe we're not getting the full story - perhaps the military has more accurate information but can't disclose it because the tech is secret. Maybe everyone is lying. Who knows.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2014, 02:15 PM

I do.

andi*pandi
Mar 24, 2014, 02:21 PM

we have ways to make you talk.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014, 02:22 PM

They'll disclose the new analysis in the Tuesday briefing, Malaysia time. From early leaks, it is based on further analysis of the satellite ping data. The new analysis was able to exclude the northern flight arc. Since the plane definitely went south to empty southern ocean, it was lost with all aboard. Probably when the fuel ran out.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2014, 02:22 PM

Godzilla took a bite out of the airplane?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2014, 02:54 PM

subego probably has the plane in his back yard. So it couldn't have been Godzilla.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
They'll disclose the new analysis in the Tuesday briefing, Malaysia time. From early leaks, it is based on further analysis of the satellite ping data. The new analysis was able to exclude the northern flight arc. Since the plane definitely went south to empty southern ocean, it was lost with all aboard. Probably when the fuel ran out.
that flight arc threw people off, I imagine it was another airliner crossing paths on radar.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2014, 03:04 PM

I know, but I can't talk about it either. How about those NCAA brackets? TN looks great, don't they?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mindwaves  (op)
Mar 24, 2014, 04:30 PM

It seems that the plane dove into the Indian Ocean. I'm placing bets that it was purposely done by either the pilot or co-pilot; it was most likely the pilot who did that. That stunt to put the plane at 45,000 feet to knock the passengers out of oxygen and flying the plane until all fuel ran out is so inhuman.

OreoCookie
Mar 24, 2014, 05:06 PM

It seems that the plane dove into the Indian Ocean. I'm placing bets that it was purposely done by either the pilot or co-pilot; it was most likely the pilot who did that. That stunt to put the plane at 45,000 feet to knock the passengers out of oxygen and flying the plane until all fuel ran out is so inhuman.
I don't know. I've read an excellent explanation on wired by a pilot, and his guess is an electrical fire. I'm not a pilot, but to me everything made sense. He attributed to 45,000 feet altitude reading to inaccurate radar and interpreted the change of heading as a deliberate course change to land at the next suitable airport (with a very long runway).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2014, 06:03 PM

That makes zero sense. In fact, all the evidence points towards a highly skilled pilot doing everything in his power to save the aircraft but running out of time, with the autopilot staying active until the plane run out of fuel. Whether the crew got killed by smoke inhalation or whether they stayed conscious but lost control of the plane (this would not be the first time this would have happened) we might never know.

There is zero need to go to 45,000ft to knock out your passengers, 30,000ft will first incapacitate and then kill your human cargo just as efficiently. One of the most sane theories points towards the possibility of a tire fire spreading into the plane's electrical circuit.

mindwaves  (op)
Mar 25, 2014, 09:57 AM

Regardless of whoever is right or wrong, what I also find interesting is using the Doppler effect to find an approximate crash location of the 777. Math can be interesting.

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2014, 01:44 PM

You are all wrong - the Airplane was taken by extra-terrestrials, and they have removed very small recognizable pieces to be left behind as bread crumbs to fool the masses!

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2014, 03:09 PM

Interesting that some are saying the over 200 items may be floating trash. If that is the case, it means they still haven't found the plane.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2014, 07:18 PM

One man's trash, another man's airplane

-t

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2014, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Interesting that some are saying the over 200 items may be floating trash. If that is the case, it means they still haven't found the plane.
Oh great - now all the brain-damaged talking heads will be commenting on the specific differences in the type of trash for another 2 or 3 weeks!

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2014, 08:16 AM

What else do they have to do? Report "NEWS"???

Ham Sandwich
Mar 30, 2014, 06:16 PM

I think we're being Rick Rolled in time for April 1st...

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2014, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Almost no details given. It seems that someone (apparently the UK) has managed to put together a convincing story of what happened, but that this story is not being released yet.
Much more to come.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

mindwaves  (op)
Mar 31, 2014, 02:54 AM

Well, I am still betting on the pilot, but I have always thought (being the pessimistic person that I am) that if he did purposely crash the plane, he could have directed the airplane into the ocean in such a manner that the plane is substantially intact. That would explain why no debris has been found. Just my theory, which I am most likely wrong. Still waiting for news, any news.

andi*pandi
Mar 31, 2014, 07:48 AM

If sully could land a plane on the hudson, is it possible to land a plane intact in the ocean?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2014, 08:25 AM

How long will they just be looking in the ocean?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2014, 11:30 AM

Here's what most likely happened: An underinflated tire overheated on takeoff and started burning. When retracting the landing gear, that fire started spreading into the interior of the aircraft, damaging the wiring. The damaged wiring is responsible for taking systems offline.

When the pilot noticed, he instantly changed course towards the closest airport with a long runway and a clean approach. But he run out of time and either the crew got overwhelmed by smoke, or they lost control of the plane which continued on autopilot until fuel run out.

Check out Swissair flight 111 for fire damage to aircraft.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2014, 11:34 AM

And not a speck of wreckage spotted. I think it crashed on land in a heavily overgrown terrain. the scavengers have already eaten the dead.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Here's what most likely happened: An underinflated tire overheated on takeoff and started burning. When retracting the landing gear, that fire started spreading into the interior of the aircraft, damaging the wiring. The damaged wiring is responsible for taking systems offline.

When the pilot noticed, he instantly changed course towards the closest airport with a long runway and a clean approach. But he run out of time and either the crew got overwhelmed by smoke, or they lost control of the plane which continued on autopilot until fuel run out.

Check out Swissair flight 111 for fire damage to aircraft.
Don't the wheel wells have fire suppression?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 31, 2014, 02:02 PM

I've also come around to the idea no one was alive on board during most of the flight. All the other theories seem to have played out. No one's claimed responsibility (terrorist hijacking eliminated), researching passengers & crew found nothing, pilot & copilot were assigned luck of the draw and research hasn't found anything convincing on either.

The plane ended up flying almost opposite to the direction it was supposed to go. You'd think passengers and crew would have noticed and overpowered the pilots.

The brief jump in altitude to 40K feet - maybe to try and put a fire out? Then cabin pressure was lost due to fire breaching the hull / exceeding design specs. With the fire out, the pilots brought it back down again, but not fast enough before everyone died. Autopilot leveled it out at low altitude to prevent a crash and flew the plain straight until the fuel ran out.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2014, 02:07 PM

This may be a ridiculous question, but don't they have oxygen masks?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 31, 2014, 02:16 PM

Of course. Part of the controls system would have to be damaged to prevent them from working, or prevent them from coming down.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2014, 02:26 PM

Okay, I buy that... but won't the cockpit have self-contained units which can function without electrical?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2014, 02:32 PM

So, if the plane hit the water after the fuel ran out in whatever tanks were on line, the avionics/auto pilot would have also stopped. Hitting the water at 160mph should have made a mess on the surface. So, where is the plane, or bits of it? I say its on solid ground in a billion pieces on Gilligans Island or somewhere. Probably under the dense vegetation.

P
Mar 31, 2014, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
If sully could land a plane on the hudson, is it possible to land a plane intact in the ocean?
On calm water I'm sure it is. The southern Pacific is anything but calm, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2014, 05:23 PM

Thinking about it though, I come to the conclusion it could have ended up anywhere between a plane in three or four big pieces to completely disintegrated.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2014, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Okay, I buy that... but won't the cockpit have self-contained units which can function without electrical?
Nope. And smoke masks last 30 minutes at the max. When they reassembled the wreckage of Swiss Air 111, they found evidence that the captain had battled the fire first with the cockpit extinguishers, then with anything else on hand. The co-pilot was most probably alive and trying to control the aircraft until the very end.

A fire on board a plane is a very, very bad thing.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2014, 10:15 PM

Maybe they should have those...

mindwaves  (op)
Apr 5, 2014, 10:10 AM

This is promising.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2014, 06:33 PM

This is promising.
Perhaps the Chinese will now share the data they have been keeping to themselves. If it is confirmed there is no way this Chinese Rubber Boat stuck a hydrophone 3' into the ocean and picked up a ping by luck. No deep cold water acoustics lessons please.

There is sooo much about MH370 being concealed. It was a Human Criminal Act. We will never know what went wrong with the plan.
The FDR could help, but nothing will be on the CVR.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2015, 04:20 PM

Was wondering if anyone had heard this new conspiracy theory...

How Crazy Am I to Think I Know Where MH370 Is? -- NYMag

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Was wondering if anyone had heard this new conspiracy theory...

How Crazy Am I to Think I Know Where MH370 Is? -- NYMag
I read this a couple days ago and maybe I'm stupid but I think this angle should at the least be investigated, especially when you consider that the final search area is so vast and deep it's probably impossible at this point to find something.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2015, 03:14 PM

I felt the idea of few Americans being on the flight makes a hijacking more plausible was interesting.

Even as an American, I wouldn't want to tangle with those Spetsnaz looking mother****ers, and would likely convince myself they weren't on a suicide mission anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules