Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB flashdrive problem

USB flashdrive problem
jferguson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2004, 11:48 AM

Last weekend, I bought a SanDisk flash drive and it works beautifully on my G4 at home. I took the SanDisk to school fully expecting to be able to move files to both the PC and an old 7500 with a usb card, but was very disappointed because it seems something is bunged up.

The files look okay. They are the right size. They have the correctly associated icons. But most of them won't copy or open. There are also many files on the Win2K machine and the old 7500 that do not appear on my G4 running X.3.5. Those files, I think, are the invisible xml files on OS X, start with "_" or "."

The weird thing is that a few files will open correctly. I have figured out that if I copy a folder and its contents, the files won't open; however, if I copy the files into an existing folder, the files will open on the PC and the old Mac. This is inconvenient. Is there a better solution?

Thanks,
Jim

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Oct 2, 2004, 04:20 PM

what OS runs on the 7500?

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

jferguson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by The Oracle:
what OS runs on the 7500?
9.1 is the OS on the 7500.

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 05:30 PM

Maybe it has something to do with the USB Card in the 7500. I can't get my flash drive to work with a beige G3 at my parent's business.

jferguson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2004, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by storer:
Maybe it has something to do with the USB Card in the 7500. I can't get my flash drive to work with a beige G3 at my parent's business.
I don't think so. Once I installed the USB driver from Apple the 7500 and the Win2K PC both see the files my G4 puts on the card identically. But I could be wrong.

Jim

Forum Links
Forum Rules