Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > wtf is "Git-R-Done" anyway?

wtf is "Git-R-Done" anyway? (Page 3)
EdGein
Banned
Jul 21, 2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Redneck is a derogatory term, and no one uses it more frequently than southerners.
I disagree, I see more northerners use it to describe the southern people
Anyone who would be offended by the word obviously doesn't visit a Mac forum, or even own a computer for that matter.
What they hell are you talking about? You seem more ignorant than the people you are trying to belittle.
yes, I'm illiterate, poor white trash but I'm damn proud of it!
You go on with your bad self.

EdGein
Banned
Jul 21, 2005, 04:58 PM

DP

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by EdGein
I disagree, I see more northerners use it to describe the southern people

What they hell are you talking about? You seem more ignorant than the people you are trying to belittle.

You go on with your bad self.
Drama queen much dude? Nonetheless, you've gone and made this topic entirely more serious and personal than it needed to be. So chew on this:

I was born in Louisiana and have lived my entire life in the south. My family was very poor and I spent my childhood growing up in the swamps in La. We were poor yet my parents taught me values, character, and self dependance. I was taught to value all humans the same, regardless of race or culture. I was taught that those who don't work don't deserve to eat.

Now excuse me if I see nothing wrong with labeling lazy, racist, illiterate, "the world owes me a living" southern scum as "rednecks." If anything, redneck is too polite a term.

EdGein
Banned
Jul 21, 2005, 05:22 PM

Drama queen much dude?
Silly.
I was born in Louisiana and have lived my entire life in the south. My family was very poor and I spent my childhood growing up in the swamps in La. We were poor yet my parents taught me values, character, and self dependance. I was taught to value all humans the same, regardless of race or culture. I was taught that those who don't work don't deserve to eat.

Now excuse me if I see nothing wrong with labeling lazy, racist, illiterate, "the world owes me a living" southern scum as "rednecks." If anything, redneck is too polite a term.
Well there is the problem green. Most people would call you a redneck here just for growing up in the south, and being brought up poor.

But you did realize that right?

The funny thing is, The rich think the middle class and below is redneck. The Middle class thinks anyone below them is redneck. The lower class believes anyone that say, lives in a trailer is one, but they aren't!

Someone, someone is calling you a redneck right now I am sure.

Redneck has nothing to do with not paying your way. They have another term for that.

Calling someone a redneck, or white trash has really nothing to do with said person you are calling that. But more about you trying to make yourself feel better about your life by belittling others.

And your little rant just proved that.

Same thing with people that call others "faggots" or "niggers"

Words used to belittle others, so we feel superior.

Used by the insecure everywhere.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 05:44 PM

It's well known that the south is the least-educated part of America, so they deserve to be called rednecks because it's true. Or backwards country cousins. Or hillbillies

EdGein
Banned
Jul 21, 2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
It's well known that the south is the least-educated part of America, so they deserve to be called rednecks because it's true. Or backwards country cousins. Or hillbillies
How pretentiously snobby.

It's no wonder why the south hates us nothern folks.

There are things more important than that. Treating people with respect. Being nice.

I'd rather be dumb and kind, than booksmart and a hateful snob any day.

I've heard racists say the same thing "I wouldn't call em niggers if they didn't act like niggers"

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 21, 2005, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by finboy
There may be a snopes reference on it, but duct tape is just that -- tape used to tape HVAC ducts. I first remember using it about 1972 or so, and it was duct tape (or gaffer's tape) back then.

The reference to "metal tape" that someone made may be valid these days, with newer technology, but I've crawled around lots of ducts with good old duct tape on them.

As for git-r-done, I've heard that phrase all of my life. It has no sexual connotation AFAIK.
Duct tape has show itself to be very useful. Unfortunately, long experience and intensive scientific inquiry has discovered that it doesn't work on ducts for too long. It dries out and falls off, particularly in high-temperature and/or high-humidity locations...like in the attic or basement where the ducts are. Metal tape, being metal instead of plastic coated fabric, does not suffer from this problem and is now the building standard.

The term "redneck" has been variously used as either a derogatory term or a group descriptive term for a long time. Does anyone here remember "Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother?" A funny song that uses the term negatively. When someone goes to the trouble of having "Redneck Proud" custom painted on his new Silverado, I have to believe that he likes the term and does not take offense at it. On the other hand, except for a brief period of time recently, the "n word" has always been not only derogatory but exceptionally offensive. Not in the same league at all.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

EdGein
Banned
Jul 21, 2005, 06:31 PM

I see black people calling each other niggers and having it painted on their cars as well.

try calling em one.

Same thing with redneck.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2005, 09:40 PM

Redneck is a derogatory term, and no one uses it more frequently than southerners. Anyone who would be offended by the word obviously doesn't visit a Mac forum, or even own a computer for that matter.
Stereotype, much?

The "proud to be a redneck" stuff just boggles my mind though. It's like saying "yes, I'm illiterate, poor white trash but I'm damn proud of it!"
It's a lifestyle choice.
What you're technically saying is that rich, educated white folks have to go around drinking Bolly RD and driving Mercs. Well hey, some of us like drinking Budweiser and driving ratty jacked up trucks around.
Money issues/worries aside, I can assure you that the average redneck is generally having a better time than the average tax exile resident of Monte Carlo.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 10:00 PM

For the history buffs, duct tape was known as green tape at Cape Canaveral in the mid 1960s and was used to hold things together along with chewing gum and spit. (Later the name of the government facility on Merritt Island was changed to Kennedy Space Center.)

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 10:23 PM

Doofy, great sig

italiano
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2005, 03:36 AM

I'm a Southerner... if it's so bad why are ya'll headin' down here in Droves? I have a sticker that reads "Beautify the South - Put a Fat Yankee on the bus" !
Visit us on the web @ strangedogs.com for FREE SPEECH and Video Card Flashing.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 07:29 AM

The "proud to be a redneck" stuff just boggles my mind though. It's like saying "yes, I'm illiterate, poor white trash but I'm damn proud of it!"
Hardly. People in the non-urban (small town, even some larger towns) south have values. Southern hospitality is a real thing. These are real, generous, decent people. Sure there is an accent and a different lifestyle. They own a pickup truck and a few head of cattle. They visit the feed store, and they probably own a shotgun. They're not obsessed with making more and more money and climbing the corporate ladder. They enjoy life, not success.

"Proud to be a redneck" means you love your truck and your land and your family and God (probably in that order!). It means that your needs are simple; it doesn't mean that your mind is simple. I have friends that are Ivy League educated rednecks.

Among southerners and rednecks, it's a term of pride. It means you have your values straight. If you work with computers, others might call you a geek. If a coworker calls you a geek, it's an honor.

I'd rather know rednecks than the stereotypical New Yorker, Bostonian or Californian.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 07:32 AM

Hillbilly is more of a West Virginia kind of thing.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2005, 08:25 AM

I have yet to see any of you "tolerant", supposedly educated, rude yankees do any charity work whatsoever.

In fact as many times that I've been to Honduras flying for the doctors, ALL of the people who go are from Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana. Never have I met a person from the blue states.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 08:38 AM

[Maybe I should start a thread about ghetto culture and see how much clapping I get. Cause you know we'd all love a good ghetto bash.]

EdGein
Banned
Jul 22, 2005, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
And that even depends on what part of WV you are talking about. Certain parts have no hills or mountains.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 22, 2005, 09:47 AM

Hey now, no need to be attacking us here Yankees! Maybe we are flying out of O'hare or Midway?

MorningStar
Banned
Jul 22, 2005, 09:50 AM

Drama queen much dude? Nonetheless, you've gone and made this topic entirely more serious and personal than it needed to be. So chew on this:

Well there is the problem green. Most people would call you a redneck here just for growing up in the south, and being brought up poor.

The funny thing is, The rich think the middle class and below is redneck. The Middle class thinks anyone below them is redneck. The lower class believes anyone that say, lives in a trailer is one, but they aren't!

Redneck has nothing to do with not paying your way. They have another term for that.

Calling someone a redneck, or white trash has really nothing to do with said person you are calling that. But more about you trying to make yourself feel better about your life by belittling others.

MorningStar
Banned
Jul 22, 2005, 09:51 AM

Depends on what part of WV you are talking about.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 09:52 AM

Class warfare…

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 10:12 AM

Zimphire has as many identities as his favorite Canadian.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

MorningStar
Banned
Jul 22, 2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Zimphire has as many identities as his favorite Canadian.
Hey, I would LOVE to just have one.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by MorningStar

Of course I realize that some in this thread use the term to apply to anyone living in the south. I'm just smart enough to know that replying to them is useless.
I also know that southerners sometimes have a tendency to be too sensitive and have an almost fantasy-like view of the history of the south, feeling like they were somehow wronged and jump on anyone who says anything remotely negative about the region.

This thread was not personal or serious at all until you and a couple others decided to jump in and make it your pet cause. If you wanna post huge confederate flag jpegs and whine about how "the yankee man been holding you down," go do it some where else.

HawgJawl
Banned
Jul 22, 2005, 02:34 PM

green the thread didn't get personal till people started making personal attacks and derogatory slang.

If you go into a thread and start doing that, don't be surprised if people call you out for it.

It would be no different if someone came in here and started calling "fags" clueless inbreds.

Then get offended when people tell him off.

If you talk like a jerk and act like a jerk, people will treat you like a jerk.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by HawgJawl
green the thread didn't get personal till people started making personal attacks and derogatory slang.

If you go into a thread and start doing that, don't be surprised if people call you out for it.

It would be no different if someone came in here and started calling "fags" clueless inbreds.

Then get offended when people tell him off.

If you talk like a jerk and act like a jerk, people will treat you like a jerk.
All I see is a bunch of whiney Join Date: Jul 2005's arguing over semantics.
( Last edited by greenamp; Jul 22, 2005 at 02:51 PM. )

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 02:41 PM

Lock.

HawgJawl
Banned
Jul 22, 2005, 02:42 PM

Semantics? No one is arguing semantics.

You are trying to excuse someone for being an intolerant jerk.

And you are attacking me now why?

I see a pattern here.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2005, 02:44 PM

I guarantee you that HawgJawl has been here for a while longer than that.
You lose.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
I guarantee you that HawgJawl has been here for a while longer than that.
You lose.
I know who he is.
But I guess in your eyes getting banned over a thread titled "wtf is get r done" and starting a new account just so he could continue trolling it is a great accomplishment.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread as it is officially ridiculous.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 02:56 PM

…Thanks to you.

HawgJawl
Banned
Jul 22, 2005, 02:58 PM

I know who he is.
But I guess in your eyes getting banned over a thread titled "wtf is get r done" and starting a new account just so he could continue trolling it is a great accomplishment.
I didn't get banned because of this thread. And the only person that is trolling is you.

Stop being a hypocrite.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 03:17 PM

Lots of different definitions of redneck going around. My definition doesn't revolve around location or income, it's more a product of appearance, attitude, and transportation.

Appearance
Jeans or jean shorts, usually worn fairly snug fitting
Cowboy boots, Rockport boots, Bramah boots
Flannel shirts, or Tshirts printed with southern slang
Large belt buckles
Cowboy hats
Often dirty for outdoor work, hunting, etc.
Camouflage clothes during hunting season

Attitude
Strong southern accent, could be loud or soft spoken
Easily offended
Conservative values
Doesn't put up with BS
Physically hard working
Wakes up early, goes to bed early
Drinks Bud, Coors, nothing imported
Against or resists technology and change
Watches Nascar

Transportation
Truck, usually American made, often lifted
Flowmaster dual exhaust
Holley, Flowmaster stickers
Calvin pee on Ford/Chevy/Dodge sticker
Favorite Nascar driver number sticker
Yosemite Sam "Back Off" mud flaps
Gunracks or fishing pole mounts
Tailgate down or missing with truck bed full of stuff

Obviously there's a million other things, but those are just some of the first ones that come to mind when I think of the word. None of that stuff makes someone a bad person, which is why I don't consider 'redneck' by itself as an offensive term.

HawgJawl
Banned
Jul 22, 2005, 03:19 PM

jason it doesn't matter if YOU think it's offensive. You aren't the one being called it are you?

Heck there are a lot of things I don't deem offensive that I don't say because Others do.

It's all a part of growing up and being an adult.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 03:28 PM

You aren't the one being called it are you?
And you were? I can't see the point of getting your blood pressure up over everything people do that's not directed at you.
It's all a part of growing up and being an adult.
See, I think that should mean not letting everything get under your skin, and not taking things so personal. I'm not one of those people that's easily offended.

HawgJawl
Banned
Jul 22, 2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
And you were? I can't see the point of getting your blood pressure up over everything people do that's not directed at you.
My blood pressure is hardly up. I have thick skin. Other people do not.

If someone came in here started calling people any other derogatory name, I would probably say the same thing. But it usually doesn't happen. Most people know better.
See, I think that should mean not letting everything get under your skin, and not taking things so personal. I'm not one of those people that's easily offended.
Me either. Who said I was offended?

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 03:34 PM

My blood pressure is hardly up. I have thick skin. Other people do not. [...] Me either. Who said I was offended?
People in general, not you in particular.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 22, 2005, 04:24 PM

You sound horribly ignorant. You sound like someone who has never been in the South.

I've been to a few smaller cities in South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and Kentucky. They have some of the nicest hospitality, deepest culture (and I don't mean what you think, I mean arts, music, ethnicity, and diversity), and sociability of most East and West coast areas I have ever been too.

When "redneck" is used as a slag insult it is the same as "nigger".

When "redneck" is used by Southerners it is something quite different. It can mean a compliment as in; full of gusto, hard working (the sun makes your neck red), courageous, no fear, stick your neck out gentleman. Or, sadly, they could mean it as an insult.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 04:27 PM

Your opinion doesn't matter Railroader, cuz you sold out to the white man.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
They have some of the nicest hospitality, deepest culture (and I don't mean what you think, I mean arts, music, ethnicity, and diversity), and sociability of most East and West coast areas I have ever been too.
But mainly we have BBQ. Ohhh yeah, the good stuff, too.

I'm talkin' Wilbers, McCalls, Kings, Grandpa's, BJ's, Parkers... pick your favorite. Mouth watering NC barbeque, with slaw, potato salad, and some home made vinegar based hot sauce. You're missing out

Railroader
Banned
Jul 22, 2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by CreepingDeth
Your opinion doesn't matter Railroader, cuz you sold out to the white man.
Huh?

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 04:58 PM

But mainly we have BBQ. Ohhh yeah, the good stuff, too.

I'm talkin' Wilbers, McCalls, Kings, Grandpa's, BJ's, Parkers... pick your favorite. Mouth watering NC barbeque, with slaw, potato salad, and some home made vinegar based hot sauce. You're missing out
Convoy!

BTW RR'r, you'll get the joke in 21.12 minutes.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 22, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by CreepingDeth
Convoy!

BTW RR'r, you'll get the joke in 21.12 minutes.
You give me too much credit. I might never get it.

deomacius
Senior User
Jul 22, 2005, 05:30 PM

Mouth watering NC barbeque, with slaw, potato salad, and some home made vinegar based hot sauce. You're missing out
OKAY!! Now THAT sounds GOOD!

Honest question... is it safe for my kind down there?

You reap what you sow.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by deomacius
No you didn't...

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 06:34 PM

Hardly. People in the non-urban (small town, even some larger towns) south have values. Southern hospitality is a real thing. These are real, generous, decent people. Sure there is an accent and a different lifestyle. They own a pickup truck and a few head of cattle. They visit the feed store, and they probably own a shotgun. They're not obsessed with making more and more money and climbing the corporate ladder. They enjoy life, not success.
Some of them. And some of them are the most mean-spirited, unfriendly, xenophobic SOBs you will ever meet, because that is how it works everywhere: there are good people and there are people I wouldn't pee on if they were on fire.

I was born and grew up in the south, part of a very old, somewhat (in)famous southern family. I live in Manhattan now and have lived and visited all over the country. A person's character has little to do with where they're from and a lot to do with how they're raised and the example their parents set for them. For every laid-back, gentle southerner there is an uptight, Junior League-obsessed basket case, and for every bat-weilding moron from Howard Beach there is someone who will give you the shirt off their back.

"Proud to be a redneck" means you love your truck and your land and your family and God (probably in that order!).
"Proud to be a redneck" means precisely dick. It's something I call myself, largely as a joke, just like my Jewish friends who call themselves JAPs or Chinese friends who call themselves chinks: we're using humor and stereotype to talk about ourselves. "Redneck" is not some magical label which carries with it inherent values.

Among southerners and rednecks, it's a term of pride.
Depends. Some of the kids I went to middle school with would beat your ass for calling them rednecks.

I'd rather know rednecks than the stereotypical New Yorker, Bostonian or Californian.
Interesting, because all you have done is deal in stereotypes. "Redneck" is not a magical group of saintly people. It's a label Larry the Cable Guy – who is middle class and about as non-redneck as you can get – uses to make money. The Cable Guy character is one of many he did on a morning radio show. It turned out to be the most popular. Now he uses it to make a lot of money.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2005, 06:43 PM

This thread has gone down south...literally.

deomacius
Senior User
Jul 22, 2005, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
No you didn't...

Heh...

You reap what you sow.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by deomacius
OKAY!! Now THAT sounds GOOD!

It is soo good.

It's pretty safe for every kind down here. What kind did you mean?

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 07:30 PM

Dude, he's obviously a cow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules